Need some server suggestions

cherrytea's Avatar cherrytea9/8/19 6:59 pm
1 emeralds 112 2
9/10/2019 5:07 pm
cherrytea's Avatar cherrytea
Hey everyone wanted to ask some advice from people who are familiar with servers.. I'm gonna start a uh bukkit SMP server soon the only plugins i plan on having are like anti-griefing plugins so i can roll back any damage done and things like uh anti-xray i only plan to have like 4-5 plugins total probably otherwise it's gonna be vanilla minecraft which is the plan.. My question is how much ram do you really think id need as far as a server goes? I heard anti-xray plugins are resource heavy and can rape your server as far as like resources go.. I'm also open to suggestions as far as purchasing a virtual minecraft server hosting goes.. I'm not very good with the whole understanding of how much ram id need to make this happen i don't really assume much though since the servers gonna be pretty lightweight very little plugins, spawn protection with command blocks and everything else is vanilla.. I've also considered buying a VPS instead of a minecraft server hosting service as i might be able to get more ram for cheaper.. All replies and suggestions are highly appreciated.. Thanks <3
cherrytea
Level 1 : New Miner

Create an account or sign in to comment.

09/09/2019 9:09 am
Level 32 : Artisan Pirate
ZonkedCompanion
Look at
- CoreProtect - logging and rollbacks
- Matrix - anti cheat
- OreReplacer - stops xray

As for ram, depends entirely on the server version, installed plugins, and online players. You could probably get 10-15 players on a 2gb server 1.13.2 server comfortably.

In terms of hosting its up to you what route you take and depends what budget you have. If you are just running a vanilla server alone then minecraft hosting may be the way, if you need mysql database and a website then a VPS may be better. With either I would recommend you ensure they have SSD storage though.

You could even host yourself if you have a good upload speed on your internet connection. Check out http://canihostaminecraftserver.com/.

I recently picked up a HP ProLiant DL380 with 48gb ram, 8x SAS 15,000 RPM hard drives and 2x 8 core Xeon processors for little more than £100 delivered on ebay. Solved my hosting issues and now all I pay to host is the electric which equates to about 180w at idle - the equivalent to a couple of incandescent light bulbs and less power than most gaming PCs. With the price of electric where I am this will easily pay for itself in a couple of months from the money I have saved from not paying for a VPS/mc hosting. Not to mention I could probably stick another 20 small minecraft servers on the same box without it breaking a sweat. (If my upload speed was better, I could rent you one!)
09/10/2019 5:07 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
cherrytea
First of all, everything you said i appericate dearly couldn't get even a single responce from anyone to save my life.. So thanks for
putting in the effort to get back to me..

The plugins are pretty much the same ones i have on my list so thanks for those they're great.. And as far as hosting my own server from a physical server like i buy from ebay or something.. I've looked into it and honestly my ISP is really stupid our internet goes out constantly cause they don't know what they're doing.. That and we have ALOT of tornado's here so that sadly wouldn't be a decent option for me.. I've also thrown the VPS plan out as i might as well save myself the headache of setting my own server up that way when i could have things like my own cool little domain and personal 24/7 support (assuming i even need that) anyways i
only really have one last question which would be.. I probably plan on getting a 3-4GB server just to be safe so it'll be faster and i have my "resources" so to say to run the very few plugins and stuff.. That and i want at least a 40 player slot just so i'm not limited in players.. Do you think 3-4GB would be kind of a waste for what im looking at some of these sites offer 1-2 GB servers with like unlimited player slots.. But at the same time like what if like 50 players joined hypothetically and like it lags to hell right? Mmm alot to consider as far as ram that's the only thing holding me back really what do you think? <3
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome