forum Forumsplay_arrow Minecraft fiber_manual_record Skins

advice?

3 emeralds10 replies155 views
created 12/31/2018 6:37 pm by confusing
last reply 01/01/2019 7:00 pm
hi, i'm starting to get into making skins and i'd like to get some advice on how to get better (yes, i've been practicing).
my skins aren't very creative and the shading is getting better i think but i don't have any techniques or anything, does anyone have any advice on how to get better at shading? weird question...
Posted by avatar
confusing
Level 32 : Artisan Sailor

comment Login or register to post a reply.

10 replies

12/31/2018 7:30 pm
Level 29 : Expert Button Pusher
Kaos_Kitten
I'd be more than willing to help if you still need it, just PM me.

(My skins are much better than the ones on here,I just can't show my best ones yet)
12/31/2018 7:19 pm
Level 20 : Expert Dragon
xia
there's a few helpful guides by DinowCookie that i plan to follow/use one day.
i'm not sure if they're what you're looking for, but i thought i'd offer.
this one particularly is for shading. there's a couple more they have posted here
i'm sure other talented skin makers can help you, too.
good luck.
12/31/2018 7:25 pm
Level 32 : Artisan Sailor
confusing
awesome, i'll look into them. thanks :D
12/31/2018 11:07 pm
Level 20 : Expert Dragon
xia
you're very welcome. :>
i just recently found them myself, and stumbled across your thread, so i thought maybe my findings could possibly be of help to you as well.
12/31/2018 7:47 pm
Level 16 : Journeyman Artist
RacingFan2012
You could also just use some noise.
12/31/2018 7:52 pm
Kaos_Kitten
I would say avoid the noise tool at all costs. It can be tempting to cheat your way through a skin, but the result is never as good.

If you do need to use noise (which I strongly remind you that you don't) you can only really use it for finding the colours. You cannot shade with noise as it just gives random values, however you can use those values to find your shade colours. I would still advise against this, but I guess that's just an opinion (a professional one, but still)
01/01/2019 1:11 pm
RacingFan2012
Why does (almost) every Mojang texture use noise then?
01/01/2019 7:00 pm
Kaos_Kitten
You may however have been referring to the marketplace found on pocket edition and console versions. Many different companies create skins for the marketplace, and some do indeed use the noise tool to create their skins.

Unlike making a personal skin or a free one on Planet Minecraft they earn money for the skins meaning that they tend to choose quantity over quality.

Their laziness and lack of effort put into their work is for financial gain, however should not be seen as the content of Mojang, or the marketplace and definitely is not an excuse for designs nor valuable piece of advice for a skin creator looking to improve.

Here you can find the Regal Raiders and Festive Favourites skin packs, created by Block by Block Studios under NetherPixel Studios. These skin packs are high quality, and by an amazing team of people I just so happen to work with.

Not (almost) every Mojang texture uses noise, and if you disagree I hope you look forward to seeing my skin packs on the store later!

Have nice day, and don't try to put people in boxes!~♥
01/01/2019 6:49 pm
Kaos_Kitten
To put it simply, they don't really.

The in-game textures (of blocks and creatures) rarely use anything noise like, with exceptions like sand which is formed of grain.

For the in game models, Steve was made when the game needed a model, and obviously way before player could make their own skins. Steve did not use noise as it was not a tool available, and therefore Steve remained simple because there was no way to cheat around the designing.Alex was designed in the same way to keep the balance in the game, if one was supremely better than the other, there wouldn't be much choice.
12/31/2018 7:47 pm
RacingFan2012
For shading you can gradually upgrade or downgrade in your value. In other words, gradually and slowly get brighter or darker.

Planet Minecraft

Browse

Site

© 2010 - 2019
planetminecraft.com

Welcome