Any tips for awesome shading using paint.net?

ForNarniaMC's Avatar ForNarniaMC9/19/14 4:13 pm
10/1/2014 7:47 pm
ForNarniaMC's Avatar ForNarniaMC
Looking through many of PMC Skin contests, I see that the winner's entry are shaded ver well. I looked through blogs but irs hard to understand how the shading works. Any tips? I do not want templates blending in with my original skin. I want to shade my skins literally.
Thx!
ForNarniaMC
Level 23 : Expert Ninja

Create an account or sign in to comment.

10/01/2014 7:47 pm
ForNarniaMC
Yeah. However, my GIMP is not responding when I tried to open it. So I am using Paint.net.
09/20/2014 1:37 am
ForNarniaMC
I know its hard. Im trying hard to understand leostereo (one of the top skinners) blog on skinning. Thanks for the tips. Still trying to understand the concept of colors.
09/19/2014 5:50 pm
Level 88 : Elite Modder
Fureniku
Artydon't use paint.net

I wouldn't agree with this. paint.net isn't geared towards skinning, granted, but if you're getting into skinning chances are you're minded towards graphic design in general. If that's the case, you should be using more advanced stuff than the skin tools, to get the practice in. That way you're more likely to be able to get a job in that kind of area later in life

As for the GIMP comments; PDN and GIMP are pretty much the same. The major difference is the user UI, and GIMP has more stuff by default. PDN has a brilliant plugin system and there are plugins for everything GIMP does, so it's a simple matter of preference.

And for the original topic? No idea, I suck at skinning. Clicked the topic because I assumed you meant like drop shadows and stuff like that, which I have a fair bit of experience with.
09/19/2014 5:08 pm
ForNarniaMC
I got gimp, but it is basically the same thing as paint.net
09/20/2014 2:40 am
Level 57 : Grandmaster Programmer
sycoinc
gimp is by far more superior to use than paint.net

Also Adobe offer CS2 Photoshop for free now
09/20/2014 1:09 pm
Level 6 : Apprentice Network
Circuit Craft
I've used GIMP and Paint.NET and everytime, I always end up preferring Paint.NET. Paint.NET's ease of use, performance, and development process keeps me coming back everytime. Although GIMP may offer more features out of the box, it does so in a somewhat clunky interface I find counter intuitive, and Paint.NET offers these features in plugins, as said earlier.
09/20/2014 12:54 pm
Level 88 : Elite Modder
Fureniku
The default installations of GIMP has more than PDN.
Everything GIMP can do, you can get as a plugin for PDN.

Therefore, PDN is more lightweight. GIMP's only real benefit is that it runs on other platforms while PDN is windows only.
09/19/2014 5:19 pm
Level 40 : Master Taco
monte carino
Gimp has a million more features. Anyways.. Go to filters->lighting and shadow->lighting effects...

That might be what you want :s

I don't really make skins, though.
09/19/2014 5:07 pm
Level 40 : Master Taco
monte carino
use GIMP
09/19/2014 4:35 pm
ForNarniaMC
I do use MCSkin3D for skinning. I use paint.net to try to shade it. Anyways, thx for the guide on color.
P.S. I am not new in skinning, so I know how to skin.
09/19/2014 4:29 pm
Level 22 : Expert Grump
Arty
don't use paint.net
If you're a new skinner then you shouldn't be using a program that isn't built for and doesn't specifically help you with skinning. I suggest downloading MCSkin3D, created by Paril, and using that.

Also, on to the actual topic of how to shade, there is a 3D mode in MCSkin3D which can really help you to see how the skin will look in it's final state; in the actual game.
The first thing you should do is create your palettes, here is a guide on colour.
Then just place the shadows where you think the shadows would go if the light were really shining on it. there are some great guides on PMC to help with shading. Just look around
09/19/2014 4:21 pm
Level 1 : New Crafter
MortenMBK
Look in Adjustments and Effects! There's some pretty cool features in there
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome