How can I learn to shade good?

Flaming Apple's Avatar Flaming Apple7/26/14 3:05 pm
1 emeralds 583 9
7/27/2014 5:22 pm
funny bunny's Avatar funny bunny
So I have loved skinning in Minecraft FOREVER. Skins have always been my #1 favorite skin about Minecraft. But recently I really have been hating on myself for not knowing how to shade like most amazing skins out there. I know I would never learn to shade like someone like: Kefka,etc. But alot of skins on PMC have pretty amazing shading. (Well except for a decent amount of teen skins.) I'm sick of adding noise to my skins,and using the skin template I think even Kefka himself. The creator. Now hates. Does anyone have any good tutorials they can give me on how to shade good? Thanks!
Flaming Apple
Level 5 : Apprentice Network

Create an account or sign in to comment.

07/27/2014 3:27 pm
Level 48 : Master Pixel Painter
basicbrick
This topic has some great tutorials. the-official-pmc-skinning-guide-compendium-t91418.html

Some of them are a bit outdated though.
07/27/2014 6:20 am
Level 38 : Artisan Robot
ElementalAndroid
Well, practice makes perfect. But there are many great guides out there.
07/26/2014 4:39 pm
Level 26 : Expert Artist
VertziForte
I thought it was just banned if you copied skins, or took parts of skins and stitched them together (remixing).
Novaskins is user friendly, you can use gradients to help you out, and I personally recommend it if you like what you're doing.
With gradients, you can make things like these:

But then MCSkin3D allows you to use opacity, noise, and even burn. An easier program if you love your colors; as well as being able to make 1.7+ skins. The downside is that you can't make the model move, like walking so you can see what problems that need to be fixing when the model is in motion.
07/26/2014 4:31 pm
Level 23 : Expert Pony
Marsci
I highly suggest MCSkin3D. Once you get used to it, it's great. To shade either make up your own style or (Like you said) search tutorials. Also you should learn about hue shifting, helps a bunch. Just search "hue shifting" in the blogs section and the click the first two or browse for more. (First two are the best in my opinion though) Good luck with future skinning! ^-^
07/26/2014 3:34 pm
Level 33 : Artisan Engineer
RoboShadow
You can also try MCSkin3D.
07/26/2014 3:19 pm
Level 32 : Artisan Pixel Painter
EmeraldModule
NO! Using NovaSkin could get you banned.
Use Paint.NET, GIMP, MCSKIN3D or anything. Just no website editing tools. You shade by selecting different color pixels and shading them. Or save time, by making a shading template, then using that template for your own skins.
07/27/2014 5:22 pm
Level 30 : Artisan Dragonborn
funny bunny
Yup

Rules7.6.3Banned Skinning Programs
There are a number of tools used to create Minecraft skins that are not allowed to be used to create skins submitted to Planet Minecraft because they violate the rules on part picking and provide libraries of parts to use, many taken from popular skins without the original creator's consent. The Global Ban list for skinning tools is given below, though the list does not show all tools that are not allowed.
Newground's SkinCraft
SkinEdit skin creator
MinersNeedCoolShoes Armoury
The SkinDex skin editor
NovaSkin skin creator
minecraftskins.com skin editor
SkinsProCreator (iOS platform)
07/26/2014 3:11 pm
Level 1 : New Dragon
Galactic_Wolf
There is this one website called, "NovaSkin", which is a great source of making skins. They have a selection tool that allows you to make something darker or lighter. Sorry, but to be honest, I never really make any skins. But I hope this helps!
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome