I need help with Shading.

DeadSpaceDUde's Avatar DeadSpaceDUde12/10/18 5:00 pm
2 emeralds 131 5
12/10/2018 6:00 pm
DinowCookie's Avatar DinowCookie

Hi, I've been working on my own rendition of the character Frisk from Undertale. It's my first skin in over 5 years, so I'm a bit rusty, to say the least. I was wondering if anyone can give me pointers on how to shade this skin. I tried to picture where the light would be absent and shaded it that way but it doesn't look like it turned out, and furthermore, I have no idea how to shade the hair so I just kinda did lines in different shades. It doesn't look like it overall turned out very well. Any suggestions on how to fix this wouldn't be awesome. I'll leave the pictures below. Thanks, guys.

2D Front

Back

DeadSpaceDUde
Level 45 : Master Engineer

Create an account or sign in to comment.

12/10/2018 5:02 pm
Level 72 : Legendary Vampire
ziggy like stardust
Hey! Are you going for a more realistic style or stylized?
12/10/2018 5:06 pm
DeadSpaceDUde
I was going for a more realistic shade. But could you explain what exactly stylized is?
12/10/2018 5:15 pm
Level 72 : Legendary Vampire
ziggy like stardust
Stylized is sort of like mine or other skinners who fall for a more simplistic shading.

For the realistic shading, study the mirror. As in, look at where the shadows fall on your own body. What do the shadows look like on the elbows? The collarbones? The ears?

Someone with great realistic shading is DinowCookie. She works very well with where the lighting and the shadows fall on the basic human body, and she's even written a few tutorials on it.

If you're to shade Frisk, try to find a realistic fanart of them on Google Images and use that as a reference photo. Look at where the artist placed the lighting and take from there.

I recommend laying out the flat colors first, applying the main lighting source where you can afterward, and then beginning to shade.

Don't forget to hue shift and focus on warm/cool colors! It looks like Frisk's main color palette is generally cool, so try to use lighter colors on their skin, because of how yellow it is, and yellow's a warm color. It's kind of hard to explain, but I can show a reference on how to paint in a cool yellow tone if you'd like.

For brown hair, start off with sort of a purplish-pink and end closer to an orange color.

For the (I think it's a scarf) begin with the darkest color, which should be close to a magenta. Study a real scarf around someone's neck; where are all the folds?

Remember to keep it not so detailed it muddies the skin. You only get so many pixels!

I'm not the best at describing and explaining, but if you have any questions you're unclear about, don't hesitate to ask.
12/10/2018 5:23 pm
DeadSpaceDUde
Thank you! I will check that person out, and take your advice to heart. I appreciate your time. ^-^
12/10/2018 6:00 pm
Level 70 : Legendary Dinosaur
DinowCookie
Hi o/ I'm DinowCookie and here's a link to my tutorials.
Keep an eye out, I'll soon be releasing part 5 about human anatomy shading. ^_^

@An Intelligent Moron thank you for the mention. :D
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome