Making a Comeback (Maybe?)

Elypsa's Avatar Elypsa5/29/18 8:33 am
1 emeralds 432 7
6/3/2018 3:16 am
Elypsa's Avatar Elypsa
Hey, guys.
This is my first forum post on this website, and probably my last.
A long time ago, I dedicated a lot of time to making skins.
Let's just say, I didn't get too popular, and that brought me down. I put in a lot of effort, and thought the results were pretty decent.

So, perhaps you can check me out? If I get more attention, I may actually continue to make skins.
Elypsa
Level 30 : Artisan Skinner

Create an account or sign in to comment.

05/30/2018 9:46 pm
Level 45 : Master Princess
vinyl-ripp
here's a hard-to-swallow pill:

you didn't get recognition because your skins weren't great
06/03/2018 3:14 am
Elypsa
Well, I figured as much. I made this post to at least verify it.
06/01/2018 8:05 pm
Level 58 : Grandmaster Grump
Azie
That.

"Why don't I get the attention other people do with I do X" is something that gets asked a lot here and I'm almost always hesitant to say this, but that doesn't make it less right.

If you aren't becoming popular with the content you're posting, it's time to re-evaluate your content and/or your advertising strategy. Identifying ways you can improve is good anyway to further yourself as an artist and improving your art will get you a bigger following.

Something I can point out right now is that the skins you've posted, OP, don't demonstrate color theory and are somewhat difficult to look at. I'm guilty of this in a lot of my stuff because it's not something I started working on until very recently. When you've used color theory correctly, the colors used in a piece-- regardless of if it's a skin or a painting or something else-- are much more harmonic and pleasant to view.

For example, this skin primarily uses two different colors with varying shades of those colors. One is a warm red and the other is a cool grey. These two colors are not complimentary and they're both from different halves of the color wheel. If you were to use a grey and a red here, you'd want to use a warm red and a warm grey or a cool red and a cool grey. Here are some quick examples.

The bottom colors are close to the ones seen in the skin you posted, though I didn't color pick to get the exact ones used. The outline colors are tints of the greys used here so you can more easily see their bias. The top one is very orange, the middle is just slightly purple-y with a blue bias and the bottom has a lot of blue.

Something else is your skin shading. Pillow shading-- while better than noise or no shading at all in most cases-- isn't very interesting to look at. Unless you're skinning the Michelin man or the Pillsbury Doughboy, pillow shading is both unrealistic and lazy. I'd start studying how light falls on every day objects as well as depictions of light in other mediums. Studying other people's depictions of light in pixel art and sprites might be especially helpful here since the space, color, and pixel constraints are similar.
06/03/2018 3:16 am
Elypsa
It's also important to acknowledge how times have changed. A lot of the skins I posted were actually made a year or so earlier than what the publish date alludes to.

I never took it so seriously as to study those sorts of details... I also didn't attempt to advertise myself whatsoever back then. I did it all for fun, and figured that, although my skins weren't anything professional, they were at least decent. I noticed other "decent" skins receiving a lot more attention, and just wondered what I was doing wrong that could be an easy fix.

If I get back into it, I'll be sure to follow your advice :)
05/29/2018 9:10 am
Level 67 : High Grandmaster Senpai
Stubbs1
If you're just making skins for fame, then why keep going?

You don't seem to be enjoying what you do. If that's the case then just stop making skins, and find something else that you enjoy creating :)

If you do enjoy making skins, then try and get better with shading, and make some creative and fun skins that you like making!
05/29/2018 9:16 amhistory
Elypsa
Not necessarily fame... just approval. I haven't created a skin in over two years. I did enjoy it, but the lack of reward deterred me and I ended up feeling like it was a lost cause. Doing something you love is a lot more appealing when someone else is there to encourage you along the way.
05/29/2018 9:08 am
Level 1 : New Miner
drives_a_ford
Welcome back to PMC, I suppose? :)

The skins look good to my untrained eye.
I'm afraid I'm not really bothered by which skin I use, however. That's just how I am.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome