forum Forumsplay_arrow Minecraft fiber_manual_record Skins

Minecrafters, what kind of skin do you use?

26 emeralds88 replies884 views
created 02/27/2019 6:19 am by DinowCookie
last reply 03/18/2019 5:58 pm
What kind of skin(s) do you use in-game?

Us skin creators often like to talk about what kind of skins we enjoy making, what techniques we use, our 'styles' and how we come up with new ideas. A lot of us enjoy making skins for the sake of making skins, for the fun of it.

But I also enjoy making skins for the sake of usability. Which is why I am asking this question. I would like to learn and figure out what the Minecraft players are looking for when they browse PMC for a new skin to use.

Perhaps some answers can help me and fellow skin creators provide the community with more which people will actually want to use in the game! :D

Aside from voting in the poll, please comment with your answer to (some of) the following questions:

- Which skin(s) do you use in-game (+ link / image)?

- How do you go about finding / getting a new skin to use in-game?

- Which aspects do you pay attention to when choosing a new skin to use in-game?

- Do you have a shading / coloring / style preference for skins you use?

- How often do you change your skin?

Or don't go by the questions and just tell about your skin choices in the comments. \o/

P.S. If you are a skin creator yourself, make sure to join in on DragonsDungeon's thread about comfort skinning, from which you can learn a lot about why we create the skins that we create.
Posted by avatar
DinowCookie
Event Host
Level 49 : Master Dinosaur

88 replies

03/08/2019 8:25 pm
Level 2 : Apprentice Miner
minecraftrules18
I am currently using a revolutionist skin for my revolution on the Stonecrest server. For the revolution!
03/04/2019 5:27 pm
Level 2 : Apprentice Mage
Spooki_boy
Normally I'd just have a modern person skin, but I've started very recently to get into skinning.
03/04/2019 7:07 pm
Level 38 : Artisan Robot
Wikimaster0
How do I fit into all of this? My skin is me in a robotic body sooo....
03/04/2019 6:48 pm
Level 7 : Apprentice Blacksmith
Darin_the_Dwarf
Book/ movie character. (Gimli)

I just found it online. (I think it wasn't on PMC.)

I'll probably eventually make a new skin for myself.
03/03/2019 3:05 pm
Level 4 : Apprentice Artist
xPerriwinkle
I don't have the skill to make my own skin anymore, and I don't know anyone willing to make a skin for me
03/04/2019 4:56 am
DinowCookie
You could always post a request to the workshop on the forums. :)
03/03/2019 2:52 am
Level 16 : Journeyman Archer
Kwanatla
I make mine myself, but I use medieval/rpg/fantasy skins, such as my Medieval Archer or Thelius the Elf. Right now I'm debating with myself which of the two to use. Oh, btw, Thelius was inspired by the awesome Top Notch Elves Pack. I'm not good at shading yet, but I'm working on it. I usually change skins around once per year. That's a really rough estimate tho.
03/04/2019 4:57 am
DinowCookie
Cool that we could be an inspiration to you \o/ I think medieval/fantasy/adventurer skins fit really well with the vanilla Minecraft feel.
03/03/2019 3:44 pm
Level 15 : Journeyman Archer
LemilasTheElf
I also use medieval fantasy skins.
03/02/2019 3:30 pm
Level 21 : Expert Chef
zoomy888
I use skins i make the most :P but i also use skins other people make! here is a link to my skin!

Here is a link to the skin im using right now!
03/04/2019 5:00 am
DinowCookie
What made you choose to be a squid in Minecraft? ;o
03/04/2019 6:03 pm
Level 21 : Expert Chef
zoomy888
Because i like being minecraft animal skins that have the actual texture! and the squid was the animal skin that looked most like the actual squid!
02/28/2019 6:03 pm
Level 40 : Master Archer
Hashs
I made my skin; since I'm an archer in PvP it has a green robe and hood and gold highlights. I made the entire hood and robe the second layer and put iron body armor underneath, so I can choose between body armor and archer robe at any time.
03/03/2019 2:54 am
Kwanatla
Nice, I love archery, my skin's an archer: Medieval Archer. But how can you "choose" surely the second layer is always visible? Or did I miss something here?
03/03/2019 3:10 pm
DinowCookie
Java allows you to switch the extra layers off and on. Can be fun on skins when it has a layer coat for example. :D
03/03/2019 4:05 pm
Kwanatla
Oh, that's cool. How do you do it?
03/04/2019 4:57 am
DinowCookie
Hmm just via your game menu, I believe it's called something like 'skin customization'
02/28/2019 5:30 pm
Level 27 : Expert Pixel Painter
Bowmanimmortal
I like to make my own skins, and they are pretty much any category I can think of. For example, I'm in the first picture on this thread, so just look at my skin. If you're having trouble finding me, my profile picture is of my skin.
03/04/2019 5:01 am
DinowCookie
Yess I know your skin ^_^ for the palette contest.
03/04/2019 5:06 pm
Level 27 : Expert Pixel Painter
Bowmanimmortal
Yeah, it ended up being my favorite skin somehow.
02/28/2019 5:20 pm
Level 6 : Apprentice Mage
Evailia
Well, most of the skins I make (that aren't for contests) are of my own characters but they're times where i'll get really inspired (usually because of something I saw) and make something in the spur of the moment - and sometimes when i'm done i'll develop a personality and back story for the design. I've gotten quite afew really good characters because of that - infact the skin (a character that I have named Kano) that I personally use was created by that method.

(Ah - I would show you the design but since it's my personal skin I haven't really posted it anywhere, sorry!)
03/04/2019 5:02 am
DinowCookie
Ah yes I'd would be interested in seeing! ;o Characters with backstories are nice, adds a bit of dimension to gameplay too I think.
02/28/2019 8:19 am
Level 57 : Grandmaster Scapegoat
Aspirin60
I use only my own skins; i make and i prefer some really creepy monsters, sqeletons or rotten flesh zombies like this one...
https://i.imgur.com/adWfQIcm.png
02/28/2019 8:44 am
DinowCookie
Scaring all the other players away! ;P Your creepy skins are the best creepy skins, can't beat that! (I tried :P)
02/28/2019 6:13 pm
Level 6 : Apprentice Engineer
alexdapineapple
69th reply yeet
02/28/2019 8:25 am
Level 1 : New Miner
Cracraft31

  A self-made skin of "myself", its more than unfinished (~5%) but I use it still...
  
Myself here

 When my mind blow... Or something 

- Which aspects do you pay attention to when choosing a new skin to use in-game?

  Not too classic (I am slowly starting to hate headphone'n'hoddies skins), but crazyness have limits:
    I wont dress up directly as Pepe the frog...
    (But a "Pepe the frog-ised" person (by, for example, why not magic), lets say #WhyNot!)

  Never asked myself this question... But why not the "default minecraft" style?

  For roleplay or big/holiday event. But I dont roleplay nor participate in events...
02/28/2019 8:46 am
DinowCookie
Is your personal skin based on a villager? It's mostly Steve still now, what will it look like when it's finished? Or are you just making it up as you go? 😅
02/28/2019 9:00 am
Level 1 : New Miner
Cracraft31
For the moment, I am just stuck in a villager golem's skull (somehow).
After that, other weird things will happen in other fictionnal universes... (Imagine yourself turning into a dragon at random moments, as well as glitching out, or a tiny chain chomp falling in love for you... Cant explain...)

I update it when I have time.
Well, I try,
   since I never remember anything...
02/28/2019 2:57 am
Level 8 : Apprentice Engineer
Geeri
A Doctor Who (tenth) [Here]
I'd love to find a better one.
The overall look.
- Do you have a shading / colouring / style preference for skins you use?
I don't really have one.
I usually have the same skin for a while.
02/28/2019 4:08 am
DinowCookie
02/28/2019 3:36 pm
Level 68 : High Grandmaster Robot
Eastonium
I like the 8 Variant David Tennant Skin. Whoever made it did a fantastic job.
02/27/2019 1:44 pm
Level 9 : Apprentice Explorer
ShastaGaming16
Everything Medieval(and fantasy, more for realistic)! I. LOVE. ARMOR! It's the best type of skins out there. xD
02/27/2019 3:01 pm
DinowCookie
Skins with armor pre-made onto them? Those look nice for sure but it also feels a bit odd when your skin with armor also wears armor in-game 😅

Did you create your skin or did you download it from somewhere?
02/27/2019 3:21 pm
Level 9 : Apprentice Explorer
ShastaGaming16
A skinner made it for me. :P
02/27/2019 10:20 am
Level 56 : Grandmaster Hero
Captain_JEK
I always used a skin that suited my ingame name and tend to stick a long time to my skin once I have found a good one. I like skins with a lot of detail (but not too much, there has to be a certain balance) and a nice color composition. And the skin should be recognizable, so people get what the skin is meant to represent.
Since I call myself Captain_JEK for some time now (because I love steampunk and wanted to be my own airship captain) my skin is a steampunk airship captain. I really like its coat and the welding goggles and the fact that the face is covered. It looks like an engineer-captain-pirate:

Captain_JEK's skin
02/27/2019 11:40 am
DinowCookie
I love the concept of that skin \o/ very nice! And I think it suits you really well too.
Did you create / assemble this one or is it a readymade skin you found?
02/27/2019 12:06 pm
Level 56 : Grandmaster Hero
Captain_JEK
I found it like this on Skindex back then, I didn't find it now, otherwise I would have linked it :/
02/27/2019 12:15 pm
Level 25 : Expert Lemon
Shady_Warlock
role play of a selfmade warlock skin,
02/27/2019 3:02 pm
DinowCookie
Yess your skins are very recognizable. Would you use a fan-made warlock skin too? Or do you prefer to stick to the one(s) you made yourself?
02/27/2019 3:08 pm
Level 25 : Expert Lemon
Shady_Warlock
Romto's is pretty good, but it's not a Sourzard... so for now I'm sticking with my own Sourzard
02/27/2019 6:52 am
Level 42 : Master Pixel Puncher
TomConn

I usually go onto PMC and find some skins that I like, and then I sit down and combine them into what I enjoy about them. My current skin is a combo of a Miner skin I saw, and the simplicity of an old skin I found :D

How easy is it to recignize? For instance I like seeing my favorite movie characters, but since it's Minecraft, then it can sometimes be really hard to tell that it's that one specific character.

Simplicty <3 Shading and all that can look amazing, but I honestly just prefer plain and simple skins when I have to use one, and those shaded, detailed, amazing skins when I want to be wowed :D

Not very often. Last time I changed must've been 1 or 1 and a half years ago :'D Maybe it's time to change into a new skin buuuuuuut I love my current one (Because it was refined by my girlfriend and she drew it into an awesome character!)
02/27/2019 7:57 am
DinowCookie
Simple yet recognizable, I like that idea! :D
02/27/2019 7:41 pm
Level 39 : Artisan Professor
Peridot XJ9
"There I am, Mimikyu! There I am!!"

Well, that used to be me. I now use this skin of my OC made by one of my best of friends due to the fact I can't make Eli into a skin as well as they can:

02/28/2019 4:04 am
DinowCookie
Ahh it's so lovely when someone makes a skin you can use though \o/ I like to run around in gift skins as well. ;P Your Eli character is so very recognizable. Whenever I think of you, I think of this character. :D
02/27/2019 12:49 pm
Level 55 : Grandmaster Dragon
Roman_95
I use fan skin. Because why use some random skin when there is a skin made for me personally? ^^
02/27/2019 3:01 pm
DinowCookie
Eyy I know that one ;) hehe. I am very glad you actually use this skin in Minecraft! :D
02/27/2019 9:10 am
Level 28 : Expert Skinner
BowManOfJustice
To tell the truth I really like any skin that is medieval themed and that employs adventure!
02/27/2019 9:37 am
DinowCookie
Yes me too :D I think they fit the vanilla Minecraft feel very well. I really want to eventually make a DinowCookie adventurer mashup kind of skin. Which I attempted before, but still isn't quite there yet. 😅

I also very much enjoy seeing people make those kind of medieval / adventurer kind of skin. \o/
02/27/2019 5:44 pm
Level 5 : Apprentice Crafter
stuewan
Leftmost one here

Luck most of the time. Searching for certain characters.
If I like the charater or look of it.
I prefer to have my shading and colors along the lines of how default Minecraft skins are shaded.
Once or twice a year.
02/28/2019 4:03 am
DinowCookie
Ahh robot skin \o/

I used to prefer Minecraft-vanilla looking skins too. My preference in shading has changed but in coloring I still feel the same way, to have the saturation of colors on a skin match the saturation of colors in the game. ^_^

Thanks for answering the form!

Planet Minecraft

Browse

Site

© 2010 - 2019
planetminecraft.com

Welcome