Mob Skins?

Althestane's Avatar Althestane4/26/14 8:43 pm
1 emeralds 399 6
4/27/2014 1:18 am
Azie's Avatar Azie
I recently created a mob skin for the squid model, just for fun. I didn't quite know where to post it: It couldn't be uploaded as a skin for obvious reasons, but it also didn't seem meet the criteria for a Texture Pack seeing as how it was only one skin for one mob. Ultimately I settled on posting it to the Blogs section, under the "Art" heading. Even there, it generated some good-natured questioning on whether it belonged in Blogs or not.

I'd like to continue creating mob skins and sharing them with the PMC community, but i'd like to know if there's a better place to post them. Or perhaps the Blogs section is considered fitting? My current plan is to create a blog post for each mob type I make a skin for, which can be updated and added too if/when i create additional skins for that mob. So, site moderators, would this be an appropriate way to go about posting mob skins?
Althestane
Level 65 : High Grandmaster Narwhal

Create an account or sign in to comment.

04/27/2014 1:18 am
Level 58 : Grandmaster Grump
Azie
I actually just realized that I derped. Art blogs are only allowed when they contain more than one piece of art. Singluar pieces of art belong in the forum. Since it slipped my mind the first time, I've decided to disable your submission and allow you to add a piece of art instead of removing it/issuing a ban.
04/26/2014 11:12 pm
Level 48 : Master Droid
xMrSchmidtx
As they would all be considered "art", it doesn't matter what you categorize the blog as. All art goes in one blog, whether or not you choose to label it as "art", an "article", or "other". You would have to include other mob skins/textures in the same blog as your squid texture.[/quote]

inb4 use spoilers and hyperlinks to separate skins. BB code could help as well
04/26/2014 11:01 pm
Azie
Althestane
AzieAs long as you only have one art blog for all your art, posting it as art in the blogs section is completely acceptable. You were right not to post it in skins or the texture packs section, since posting it in either of those would break site rules.

Thanks for the clarifications. Just to make sure I understand, a user should really only have one 'art' blog? So for instance, if I had 10 skins for a pig and 10 skins for a horse, they should all go in the same blog together, according to site rules. If I wanted to keep the pigs and horses separate (if only to keep them organized and easily accessible), would another type of blog be more appropriate - maybe in the 'Article' or 'Others' categories? I guess at that point it might start counting as a skin series, something that's not encouraged in blogs but since it's for a mob and not player skin, it doesn't really have a place in the Skins section. Hmn. I always seem to find these grey areas - not on purpose, i swear!

As they would all be considered "art", it doesn't matter what you categorize the blog as. All art goes in one blog, whether or not you choose to label it as "art", an "article", or "other". You would have to include other mob skins/textures in the same blog as your squid texture.
04/26/2014 10:56 pm
Level 65 : High Grandmaster Narwhal
Althestane
AzieAs long as you only have one art blog for all your art, posting it as art in the blogs section is completely acceptable. You were right not to post it in skins or the texture packs section, since posting it in either of those would break site rules.

Thanks for the clarifications. Just to make sure I understand, a user should really only have one 'art' blog? So for instance, if I had 10 skins for a pig and 10 skins for a horse, they should all go in the same blog together, according to site rules. If I wanted to keep the pigs and horses separate (if only to keep them organized and easily accessible), would another type of blog be more appropriate - maybe in the 'Article' or 'Others' categories? I guess at that point it might start counting as a skin series, something that's not encouraged in blogs but since it's for a mob and not player skin, it doesn't really have a place in the Skins section. Hmn. I always seem to find these grey areas - not on purpose, i swear!

EDIT: I think i just figured out a way to make what I'm proposing to do work in a single blog. I forgot that there are 'hidden/spoilers' options in the text options - that could help keep a potentially long and growing blog with multiple types of content into a much more organized presentation. Thanks again for the clarifications!
04/26/2014 9:32 pm
Azie
As long as you only have one art blog for all your art, posting it as art in the blogs section is completely acceptable. You were right not to post it in skins or the texture packs section, since posting it in either of those would break site rules.

Texture packs need to change at least 50% of one of the major texturing areas to be posted and skins are defined as usable player skins.

http://www.planetminecraft.com/rules/#r ... quirements
http://www.planetminecraft.com/rules/#what_is_a_skin
04/26/2014 9:28 pm
Level 89 : Elite War Lord
Kefka
I would also be curious to know this. It just seems wrong posting them as a Blog.
Also, it would be an awesome thing to allow users to post mob skins just like player skins. Maybe have another category or make a sub category in the skins section.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome