Is Photoshop the best for skinning?

DXWang_'s Avatar DXWang_1/15/14 6:59 pm
2/16/2014 1:15 pm
uTurtl's Avatar uTurtl
Hi everyone, this is my first post on the PMC forums, and it's really a question I have, and a request for suggestions.

Lately, I've been skinning off of MCSkin3D, a genius program, perfect for skinning. However just recently, I got Adobe Photoshop CC. I'm currently an extreme "noob" with it, only having rough ideas of what many tools do.
So now for my question.

Which of the 2 programs are better for skinning?
I think Photoshop. It just seems to be professional. Maybe I would be able to achieve further greatness for my skins (what I hope for), but I'm not sure what exactly makes it the best, if it even is.

I would really appreciate replies/answers from anyone that reads this, and especially from highly skilled and experienced skinners.

Thanks for Reading!
DX
DXWang_
Level 36 : Artisan Nerd

Create an account or sign in to comment.

02/16/2014 1:15 pm
Level 1 : New Explorer
uTurtl
Hi. Personally, I don't really like to use Photo Shop to make my skins. My personal preference is to use Nova Skin. Nova Skin provides an automatic shader, [That mean's when you draw, the color you're using will be switched to either lighter shades of that color, or darker shades. Also, the skin's you make you can share it to every one on Nova Skin. There's a lot of other features, such as free wallpaper maker, make poses with you're skin, and a lot more. The best part is, it's free! So that's my personal recommendation, hope it helped!

-uTurl
02/16/2014 4:37 am
Level 21 : Expert Archer
pokerrymon
Neither. Skincraft tells you which bits drawn on will show what, so I don't have to guess if that area I draw on is for the head or body, and the is a 3D view. Also you get layers, and if you can really easily get the colon our you want with the colour selection and the dragging thing that will go through every single shade of the colour you chose, black to white, and I think it is very good for making skins (but if you use premade parts, you should be ashamed of yourself )
02/16/2014 4:05 am
Level 43 : Master Princess
Buttsauce
Mrtomotronif im honest, I think minersneedcoolshoes.com is best. you can view other skins and take parts from them, or start from scratch. aslo, planet minecraft dosent rage at you if you upload a skin that you made on minersneedcoolshoes.com

Dude, this is precisely the crappiest thing about this program.
You do not steal others' skins. You do not steal parts of others' skins either. You do not touch others' skins at all, unless it's to wear them proudly in your game or if you have the creator's clear permission to edit them.
Otherwise you're just a thief. Please don't be a thief. Make your own stuff.
02/16/2014 3:57 am
Level 1 : New Miner
anonpmc1469815
[deleted]
02/16/2014 12:24 am
Level 11 : Journeyman Goblin
devilcupcakes
If you're choosing between Photoshop and MCSkin3D - Photoshop is definitely the way to go. I really hate skinning in MCSkin3D and only use it for viewing 1.8 skins. I've never used Photoshop to make a skin but I know Photoshop is pretty similar to GIMP, which is what I use. Ps has lots of great features that can help you in skinning. (Too bad my trial version expired.)
02/16/2014 3:46 am
Level 43 : Master Princess
Buttsauce
100% this.

MCSkin3D is great for things like previews or laying down basic outlines to be shaded later, but not being able to move things around, control your tools, copy/paste, use layers, lock transparent pixels, flip selections with one press of a button and do about a million other little things that make the process significantly faster is enough to give myself a hemorrhage. It takes me 15-30 minutes to shade a skin in Photoshop, to get the same result in MCSkin3D I'd need like three hours, and this is not the kind of time that I'm willing to devote to sitting on my ass and pushing pixels around.
Photoshop is the industry standard and has a legion of programmers who keep trying to make it more efficient and ergonomic. MCSkin3D is a simple program put together by three or four people. It's entirely possible to make mindblowing skins in MCSkin3D, but if you're a person who would rather do a simple ctrl+c/ctrl+v instead of meticulously copying the entire leg texture pixel by pixel, choose Photoshop instead.
02/16/2014 12:11 am
Level 54 : Grandmaster Guard
-Baron
I think McSkin3D would be better. It is an easy program to make skins from, but since Mac doesn't support it, you're better off with photoshop. Photoshop can be difficult if you have no knowledge of the many tools.

All it takes is skinning experience, and whatever you think you're best suited with.
02/15/2014 11:40 pm
Level 37 : Artisan Prince
Xivics
Photoshop is great for skins, just like most every program you can find online - it has its particular uses for layering, rulers, grids, etc.. Once you figure out how to use it with certain easy shortcuts it makes all the difference.
02/15/2014 11:24 pm
Level 27 : Expert Unicorn
Woogie
i use paint.net :I not the dumb<SNIP> default paint
02/15/2014 11:24 pm
Level 58 : Grandmaster Architect
DivineMedicus
ALOT of the expert skinners on pmc use MCskin3D and do there skins manually :3
02/15/2014 11:17 pm
Level 57 : Grandmaster Prince
MayuriYandere
It really doesn't matter to be honest,
I make the skin itself with mcskin3d then edit it to my liking on paint.net/photoshop.
02/15/2014 11:14 pm
Level 39 : Artisan Grump
iminer978
nah man ya gots ta use msp 4 da skinzzz

or u could use something else dont mind me
02/15/2014 11:13 pm
Level 70 : Legendary Artist
Devgirl Neko
Photoshop is EXTREMELY useful in my opinion. I use it for all my skins. With a bit of experience it is relatively easy to use. And also, it's not just a few pixels. xD
It's 64x64, meaning 4,096 pixels to be exact. Plus if you want it to be good, you've got to keep in mind shading and effects, which Photoshop is quite good for.
02/15/2014 11:03 pm
Level 24 : Expert Toast
100koolaids
photoshop it gives you alot more helpful tools with a variety of options plus you could learn how to use it!!:D
01/15/2014 8:26 pm
Level 22 : Expert Network
GreenTitanLP
I prefer Paint.NET, but I like GIMP as well. I'm not very good at making skins, but I do mess around with them sometimes. Both Paint.NET and Gimp are free.
01/15/2014 8:11 pm
Level 8 : Apprentice Network
Kaev
Like others have pointed out, you don't need some amazing software to make a skin. But MCSkin3D, GIMP and Photoshop all work fine.

I prefer MCSkin3D, because it's made for skins, and you can actually see what the skin will look like in game. Though GIMP and Photoshop will have more utilities.
01/15/2014 7:31 pm
Level 37 : Artisan Cake
NeFt
I prefer Paint Tool SAI owo
01/15/2014 7:25 pm
Level 25 : Expert Dragon
Flips
I dont usually make skins... but MC skins are just a few pixels. I doubt you even need photoshop for it....
01/15/2014 7:40 pm
Level 36 : Artisan Nerd
DXWang_
how dare you
01/15/2014 7:31 pm
Level 37 : Artisan Cake
NeFt
No, sir. It's not "just like a few pixels" its wayyyy more complicated ;U;
01/15/2014 7:25 pm
Level 68 : High Grandmaster Senpai
MikuDesu
MCSkin 3D is a ghetto, dysfunctional piece of garbage. Use Paint.NET or something else.
01/15/2014 7:19 pm
Level 43 : Master Mountaineer
revenge_racer
MCSkin 3D is probably what you want to be using, but for regular image editing, I FAR prefer Paint.NET over Gimp, and since I've heard Gimp is similar to Photoshop, I would say use MCSkin for your skins, but download Paint.NET and try to get your money back for photoshop
01/15/2014 7:07 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
Sindro
Photoshop for sure. I'm sure you'll also find many more useful things you can do in Photoshop as well, not just limited to Minecraft skins. Try and do some tutorials for Photoshop by Googling "Photoshop Effects." I've learned quite a bit by just doing some of tutorials, and I have made a lot of pictures which I am very impressed with.
01/15/2014 7:06 pm
Level 20 : Expert Caveman
DrDemon
Either Gimp or this really cool website called minershoes.com
It's what I've used for almost all the skins on my account so far! I honestly also love GIMP. Yes Photoshop is cool but gimp is like the free version of it, like the only MAJOR thing Photoshop has the GIMP doesn't is copying and pasting layers.
01/15/2014 7:12 pm
Level 57 : Grandmaster Answer
TheViridian
Before anyone states, "Minershoes is banned on PMC", it's not. Using the armory is, but using the basic skin creator is allowed, as long as the skin you post is 100% done by you.
01/15/2014 7:17 pm
Level 28 : Expert Network
Descripted
this.
though they should update the rule list, because i believe it says the whole site is banned. going to double check, no one gang up on me.
double checked, says this.

There are a number of tools used to create Minecraft skins that are not allowed to be used to create skins submitted to Planet Minecraft because they violate the rules on part picking and provide libraries of parts to use, many taken from popular skins without the original creator's consent. The Global Ban list for skinning tools is given below, though the list does not show all tools that are not allowed.

Newground's SkinCraft
SkinEdit skin creator
MinersNeedCoolShoes Armoury
The SkinDex skin editor
NovaSkin skin creator
minecraftskins.com skin editor
SkinsProCreator (iOS platform)

so yeah just armory

---
i just use paint.net. you don't need photoshop for that, too advanced for something such as skins
01/15/2014 7:05 pm
Level 56 : Grandmaster Necromancer
MusaTheLegend
Nah, I would say MCSkin3D is far better than Photoshop when it comes to skinning. Photoshop is obviously a good alt for a skinning program if you're on a Mac, though.

MCSkin3D is much easier to use, based on personal experience. I've skinned with both programs, multiple times each.
01/15/2014 7:01 pm
Level 37 : Artisan Prince
n8mo
I personally prefer GIMP to everything, but that's just because I've memorized every keybind and am too lazy to re-bind keys in other programs...

I'd say photoshop, more tools, more functionality, and copy/paste and layers are nice to have.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome