Skin stealers and how to deal with them.

FireBellFairy's Avatar FireBellFairy6/25/18 4:08 pm history
13 emeralds 866 26
7/10/2018 11:37 pm
PixelGore's Avatar PixelGore
Now, I'm not quite sure if this is suitable for a fourm.
If not, please notify me!

Yes. I did read the terms & rules of the fourms, but still don't quite know.

Edit : If this fourm post ends up being allowed, I'll make a second one with full explanation on how to deal with skin stealers.

This fourm is about skins. Simple, right? Yes, well.. a lot of us tend to get very angry when we see one of our skins re-uploaded, edited without permission. (etc) And the majority of us who see it understand it's bad, but don't quite get the idea of..well, dealing with it.

Now, starting off with my opinion.
If I see a stolen skin, I'll try my best to deal with it properly.
Which means ;
* No progressive use of caps.
* No cursing + bullying (Example : You dam* idiot!...)
* No use of slang words (XD, Lol, IDK, ATM...)
(And a couple more which I haven't added quite yet.)
Now, that's only my opinion. Not yours. If you agree, that's great! If not, well. I can't be mad at you.

But one way to keep the 'stealers' from 'hating' on you is to approach them nicely. (As nice as you can, anyway.)
Keep in mind that a lot of 'skin stealers' are children who don't yet understand how bad it is.
Please, keep that in mind.

Thank you for reading. And again, a message to staff.

I'm not quite sure if this is suitable for a fourm.
If not, please notify me! (Lock/take down the fourm.)

FireBellFairy
Level 49 : Master Nerd

Create an account or sign in to comment.

07/10/2018 11:37 pm
Level 29 : Expert Skinner
PixelGore
Love your point!
06/26/2018 12:12 pm
Level 44 : Master Ranger
Kourier
If you have ever used skinseed or UTK.io skin stealing always happened. all there was is kids on that app.

People would get thousands of views from stolen skins. I just couldn't handle that stuff because it was so annoying so I found planet minecraft, and I can say I am much happier here...
06/26/2018 12:13 pm
Level 44 : Master Ranger
Kourier
They were mobile apps.
06/26/2018 11:53 am
Level 20 : Expert Dragon
FangABXY
I’ve heard many terrible rumors of this happening. Thanks for these tips :)

Also this might have fit better as a blog
06/26/2018 12:41 pm
FireBellFairy
Alright! Ty!
06/26/2018 11:49 am
Level 55 : Grandmaster Engineer
BioPowered
Wow... Imagine how the guy who first uploaded the teen skin must feel...
06/25/2018 7:31 pm
Level 58 : Grandmaster Grump
Azie
Dealing with people stealing on our site is as simple as reporting the theft via the flag button. Don't contact the person or accuse them of theft in their post's comments (even if you feel you're being polite). Doing so can get you banned as well.
06/26/2018 7:56 am
FireBellFairy
Ah, yes. I know that on PMC. That's why I love PMC, the reporting system and staff- they're great!
I'm talking about other, less protected skinning websites. Due to a lot of people on PMC using other websites to make & post skins too.
06/26/2018 12:09 pm
Level 58 : Grandmaster Grump
Azie
Ok, I wasn't sure what site you were referring to here. Seemed like a "for theft in general, do this" type post when I first read it.
06/26/2018 12:41 pm
FireBellFairy
Ah, yes. It is for theft in general, but for PMC it isn't needed! <3
06/25/2018 6:48 pm
Level 58 : Grandmaster Procrastinator
morningblues
Yes, I can agree with this. I send them a formal message politely explaining the ordeal. If they don’t listen or persist, I do get a bit more on the strict side, but otherwise stay calm under the situation.
06/25/2018 5:26 pm
Level 70 : Legendary Dinosaur
DinowCookie
I think the best way to deal with a stolen skin is to just report it since plagiarism is against the sites rules and moderators will see to the deletion of the submission.

Most of the time this is the better way since commenting on it or PMing the person may only cause drama.
06/25/2018 5:43 pm
Level 72 : Legendary Vampire
ziggy like stardust
Sadly, it isn't just PMC. Skindex has a terrible case of skin thieves, and the staff take a while to deal with them. Sometimes, I report a skin, and a month later it's still there, so we need to comment to be able to get the skin seen by the staff.
Unfortunately, I'm not aware of how the Skindex staff do their job.
06/26/2018 8:12 am
DinowCookie
I'm not surprised the Skindex has a lot of skin "thieves" because each and every upload has a button that people can click to edit it and upload their "version" of it. To me it seems that uploading a skin to that website is practically giving it away for people to use it as they please.

I get the sentiment but the Skindex's terms of use don't really seem to say anything about skin "stealing" being forbidden. I feel that if you don't want people to use your skins off that website or any similar site, you shouldn't be using that site in the first place.

PMC is surely the way to go if you want your skins protected.
06/26/2018 8:42 am
FireBellFairy
Yeah. But for people under the age of 13 would need to use skindex, sure its a very unprotected and small website. But it's really easy to make an account, upload skins, etc. For PMC, you need to do a whole lotta stuff to sign up, it's 13+, overall PMC is a better place, but some may not be able to use it.
Also, I made a post on skindex about the whole skinstealing thing, how it's just like copying art from artists but that, of course, was ignored and taken down.
No matter what every skinning-website should protect their users skins.
06/26/2018 8:52 am
DinowCookie
Again I understand the sentiment but in the end you'll have to comply by the terms of use of the site that you're using. If you are under 13 you're not allowed to use the Skindex either. If you're in the EU you aren't even allowed to under 16.

Of course it still happens for sure, but the privacy policy on the Skindex literally states:

"Only users that are 13 years old or older are allowed to sign up for an account. Users residing in the EU have to be 16 years old or older."

The terms and conditions state:

"The Site is to be used solely for your non-commercial, non-exclusive, non-assignable, non-transferable and limited personal use and for no other purposes."

So to me, no matter how unfair it feels, it is still not a good idea to use the Skindex and expect that people will not steal your skins.

If you really have a problem with how the Skindex or similar sites choose to go about dealing with "stolen" skins, then you'll have to resort to your own solutions or different websites to show off your skins.
06/26/2018 9:01 am
FireBellFairy
The thing is, a lot of us have found skindex before they've found PMC. I never said it was unfair or fair. I've also never seen the '13+' rule on skindex. For all I care it should be 18+ due to all of the inappropriate skins seen on there.
Another thing is, i've been on skindex for a year now and I'm not ready to leave it. If I do it will only get worse. Me and my friends are actually fixing skindex.
Now listen, I didn't make this fourm post for you to go off on why we should leave skindex, or the rules of skindex.
I'm talking about
How to deal with skinstealers
On any website.
If the website has rules like pmc, and actually takes care of these users, then this fourm isn't needed.
Heck this fourm post was made for anyone who's dealing with a rude person, not just skinstealers.
So please stop, thanks.
06/25/2018 4:35 pm
Level 72 : Legendary Vampire
ziggy like stardust
Heh, yeah. I deal with them professionally. It's best to act like a mature adult.
06/25/2018 4:42 pm
FireBellFairy
Yea. Defiantly..
It's annoying when I see others dealing with stolen skins like...; "OMG U JERK GIVE CREDIT TO ME NOW! PLZ I WORKED HARD ON THIS SKIN!! OMG PLZ!"
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome