Looking to create unique kingdoms/fantasy/RPG server!

ShinyWorm2's Avatar ShinyWorm26/27/17 6:25 pm
7/12/2017 1:24 pm
ShinyWorm2's Avatar ShinyWorm2
Hey guys! I've recently come back from a 2 year Minecraft hiatus. I was looking through all the server lists on PMC and other sites for a semi decent RPG/Kingdoms server to dig my teeth into. To my disappointment however, all of the servers these days seem to be extremely lackluster and slapped together in a week or two with very little thought put into how it should be put together and what would be best for the players. After many servers I've had in the past, I've always wanted to create an amazing world full of RP, characters created by the players that are immersive and interesting. However, every time I've attempted to make a server of this kind, I lose motivation. I guess in reality I'm making this post to see if there are any other people like me, who are bored of the lame servers these days and would be interested in creating a project together.

So here's the gist of the ideas that I've had and would love to see come to life.
[b]
[size=150][u]Real Kingdom/Feudal System[/b][/u][/size]

Yes! Real kingdoms that interact with each other, either peacefully or through hostility. I feel like an application process would be the best way to decide the starting "kings"/"queens" of these kingdoms. After the application process is complete and and the plugins/world is complete, every player will join as the lowest of lows of a peasant and work their way up. (no you can't promote your friend to lord because you're the king, he's probably a bad friend if he's only using you for your king permissions anyways. ditch that guy.)

[size=150][u][b]Real War/Conquest System[/b][/u][/size]

Assuming this server would run using the towny plugin, I've always found most servers don't supply an interesting way to include pvp into the RPG experience. I believe the best system for this, is to have scheduled wars (kingdoms declaring war in forums or something, and staff deciding a time that both kingdoms agree upon).
Wars could be won by kills, or killing the king, or a surrender etc. (worked out in roleplay fashion)

[size=150][u][b]Real Economy[/b][/u][/size]

There is also the fundamental problem of, everyone ever always wants to be the top dog (or in this case king) of the server. I have seen this problem literally destroy servers where they were not prepared in an RP sense to handle all of that. The answer is rather simple though i think. Example: Peasant punching dirt, trying to make his way in the world. Finds a kingdom they like. Work for the king, earn some money, open a bakery/tavern/stable/whatever(we'll go with stable in this situation). Peasant now makes money, but not enough that his eternal thirst for being that #1 dude on a server is quenched. War comes about, dude who used to be peasant but now sells horses, makes a ton of money selling horses to the kings cavalry for the war. King dies in war, Dude who's now loaded sees an opportunity, uses all the money he made selling you horses buys some mercenaries and declares a rebellion and takes over the castle declaring himself a Lord or whatever. (king dies and RP becomes a peasant and starts over) and yadaddadadadada
Long story short, anybody can become top dog, however anybody can be taken out of power by anybody. Who doesn't love an underdog story? wrong. everybody loves it.

[size=150][u][b]Pay for fun, not to win[/b][/u][/size]

Another huge problem these servers i've seen tend to have, is you start out too high. Log in for the first time and you're already a knight with a huge house of his own. where do you go from there? there's not much left for you to get your hands on "OOO BUT THAT SPICY DONATOR STORE, I THINK I'LL BUY 10000 SHARPNESS 400 SWORDS AND TAKE OVER THE WORLD" yeah. no. Super Meta breaking. Too many people just want to make a quick buck out of a server rather than turn it into an amazing experience both for themselves and other players.
(DISCLAIMER, I AIN'T IN THIS FOR MONEY, OBVIOUSLY CAUSE THERE'S NO MONEY IN MC ANYMORE LOL RIP EULA. Anyways, I will be paying for everything that this server needs, I just need help creating the server of my dreams (and hopefully your dreams)

I need devoted staff willing to work their #$# off for little to no monetary profit, who will put up with players causing problems and handle it with a cool head. I need dreamers who also believe that the perfect server can be attained. I need (at least 1 or 2) builders who can capture the beauty of a beautiful medieval fantasy forest using only 32x32 pixel blocks of horrible quality leaves.

SO

post on here what you think about this idea. Am I insane?(yes) Do you also believe this is possible and not just a shot in the dark?(lol it is) Do you want to get your RP pants on and join me on a possibly (horrible/never ending) amazing journey that will be both (horrible and never ending) satisfying and fulfilling for every RP out there? LET ME KNOW, LETS DO IT FAM

- ShinyWorm

(also, I just noticed how long this got lol, my bad. read it all. now.)

My discord username is xpoodog69#5844

add me up and we'll see about setting up a server for people to get involved and get updates etc on the server/idea
ShinyWorm2
Level 5 : Apprentice Miner

Create an account or sign in to comment.

07/12/2017 1:24 pm
ShinyWorm2
Bump
07/11/2017 4:28 pm
ShinyWorm2
bump
07/10/2017 2:01 pm
ShinyWorm2
Bump
07/08/2017 6:32 pm
Level 1 : New Network
Kayoss
Sounds to me like you're in over your head. I'm not trying to be an ass, but I really think that doing all of this will be way harder than you think it will be. There's a reason all of these servers are the way they are. Especially about the whole money piece.

First of all, donor ranks aren't there for the owners to make bank. It's to keep the servers up. I've ran a server before and I know the struggle of keeping it up. You're gonna be paying a lot of money to keep this server up, especially if your ideas work. Once you reach 50 people, things are gonna get hairy. You better hope you really can pay 100s of dollars a month to keep your server up, because other wise you're gonna be losing a lot of people permanently when your server goes down.

That being said, if you need advice on how to succeed on creating a server, we can talk, but I'll be brutally honest with you no matter what, so be prepared for that.

Contact me via discord: metaphorical nonsense#0919
07/09/2017 3:28 pm
ShinyWorm2
Not sure where you're getting these numbers from, a server with 50 people on it wouldn't even cost me $50 in a month. I can assure you if i spent $1000 on this server and didn't get a single donation, it wouldn't bother me. Please do a little research before throwing numbers around telling me I'm in over my head
If my ideas work it would be exceptionally easy to keep the server up? I've added you on discord though I can't see anything good coming from that.
07/08/2017 3:39 am
ShinyWorm2
Bump!
07/03/2017 9:30 pm
ShinyWorm2
Bump!
07/02/2017 3:38 pm
ShinyWorm2
Bump!

new website in the works! We are also accepting applications for builders/staff/kingdom leaders! (apply on website)
(domain will be added etc.)
https://xpoodog2.wixsite.com/rediadynasties

our discord server: https://discord.gg/Z6ZBH86
07/01/2017 3:56 pm
Level 1 : New Explorer
bucs081
I just msg you my discord username, just send a msg and we can discuss anything about your server
07/01/2017 2:54 pm
ShinyWorm2
...I actually just wrote a response for like 20 minutes. and went to preview. And it deleted it. I. Am. Tilted. Lol

Do you have a discord account or something so we could possibly discuss the ideas a little? Would love to hear more of your thoughts
07/01/2017 2:11 pm
Level 1 : New Explorer
bucs081
Hi ShinyWorm2, I would love to help out to create a unique server experience! I couldn’t agree more with what you said about towny servers these days. Here are some of my thoughts:

Real Kingdom/Feudal System

I love your idea about many unique kingdoms interacting w/ each other through peace or war. I don’t believe an application process though would be the best way to start kingdoms. I think the best way to go about this is as you said, everyone staring equal as a nomad/peasant and working there way up. Then overtime as they acquire more money, friends, etc., they would have the resources to start a town. By doing this you give the player freedom of their actions.

IMO, having players start in a world unique to them, were they choose their own path is a better way to start than having pre-built kingdoms/nations. This way, players can forge their own path. Maybe they want to be an assassin who earns his money through contracts, maybe the player doesn’t want to mess with any of the responsibilities / politics in leading so he decides to join settlement, or maybe the player wants to be a bandit who raids small farms and settlements.

By doing so, this allows many diff creations to happen. You will see towns and kingdoms, merchants, bandit camps, etc. all around the map. This creates a unique, living world all created by diff players, were each player has the possibility to do what they want.

Real War/Conquest System

Totally agree, one kingdoms wants to declare war, they submit an app, set the best date and best side wins. This system keeps it fair and balanced for both sides

Real Economy

It sounds exactly like capitalism. A player working his way to the top but in order to gain the riches of the world he is going to have to work hard to earn a living. Once again, I totally agree with this.

Pay for fun, not to win

Nothing to add, couldn’t have been said any better

Final Thoughts

I would think the server would need a custom map, plugins, etc. and the spawn would be a separate world to allow for complete immersion of a world created by the players

I also think you need to limit the towns on the map to encourage growth of towns. I think one of the worst things is getting on a towny server and having, for ex, 20 towns all w/ 2-3 people in them. Possibly set the price to: f(x) = e^x where x is the number of towns. This would be sure that once a certain number of towns in met, that it becomes increasingly harder to make one

I think a permadeth mechanic would be cool. Once someone dies, they wouldn’t be able to spawn as that same character but be able to create a new one, maybe go down a diff path.

I think custom built dungeons throughout the world, may possibly be a cool idea also. This would motivate exploration and reward the players who do explore

As a 4th year student in college, I would love to help you put time in, but might not be able to work my #$# off all the time due to college/work. Also I would love to hear your thoughts about Kingdom/Feudal System I laid out and anything else.

Regards

bucs081
07/01/2017 1:41 pm
ShinyWorm2
Bump
06/30/2017 1:15 am
ShinyWorm2
Bumperino
Planet Minecraft

Website