Big Summer Project Contests : A Journey Through Time Official Thread!

Cyprezz's Avatar Cyprezz6/8/18 12:30 pm history
15 emeralds 2.3k 76
8/13/2018 5:53 am
CubesideDE's Avatar CubesideDE
Hello everyone!

Summer is here and vacation is near! This thread will provide a common place for discussing both "A Journey Through Time" project contests. The team and solo editions have unique prizes and an increased entry period of 6 weeks!

The theme is shared between the two but there are differences mainly the obvious team vs solo rules but also the prizes offered.

The contests are in celebration of kicking off the summer and in collaboration with the Buildcon 2018 community event (June 8th - June 12th). We hope you have fun at Buildcon and maybe even apply something you learn to the projects you enter into these contests!

SOLO : Contest & Prize Details!

TEAM: Contest & Prize Details!
Cyprezz
Admin / Lead Developer
Level 70 : Legendary Cyborg

Create an account or sign in to comment.

08/11/2018 4:41 pm
Level 55 : Grandmaster Wolf
VoIke
How long will we wait for any results like rly i get it can take some time but it is over half of a month by now and some judges are still at 8% without any changes.
08/11/2018 6:31 pm
Level 28 : Expert Network
CubesideDE
Give them some time :) its only two weeks now. The Judges have to look trough so many contest entries and maybe.. just maybe - they have a reallife too ;D
Maybe you feel better if you would think:
the longer they need to rate it the more elaborate it is
08/12/2018 4:02 am
Level 60 : High Grandmaster Tiger
ThatGuyCalledTiger
one judge has no pmc activity for 4 years
08/11/2018 7:05 pmhistory
Level 55 : Grandmaster Wolf
VoIke
m8 rating let's say 4 maps per day is 13 days of work to rate, some of the judges are at 8% so they seen 4 maps, i can understand some time like a week max 2. But it is 3 weeks from the contest "entry period" and some judges did nothing, also most of those MC contest maps are small enough to fly around them in less than 15 mins. Another thing is that Team edition that had far bigger and more complex projects had only 6 judges and is finished for a week already. "real life" u said that in a way implying that creators that did maps don't have real lifes and they just play mc 24/7.
08/13/2018 5:53 am
CubesideDE
No I didnt mean it like this.. Im also a builder and know how it is. But I mean two weeks isnt a time were you can complain about.
Maybe the judges take one day to look through many maps cause if ou see few maps per day the rating could be infected cause you dont remember the first once.
What I wanna say is stay calm. Im sure they will rate :)
Its not good if we complain. Its much work doing all this
08/12/2018 4:47 am
ThatGuyCalledTiger
at that rate, i'd say he/she would be done on Friday 1st February 2019
08/11/2018 4:03 pm
ThatGuyCalledTiger
are the judges voting or what?
08/04/2018 12:29 pm
CubesideDE
Is it possible to get a fair comment by some judges on our project? We dont really understand why we only got 29 Points on execution & technique? Is there something we overlook?

https://www.planetminecraft.com/project/a-jorney-through-minecraft/
08/04/2018 2:39 pm
CubesideDE
By "fair Comment" i ment critism about waht we have done wrong. Sry if you missunderstanded this
07/29/2018 1:12 am
Level 37 : Artisan Architect
_UnknownEntity
https://www.planetminecraft.com/project/alien-intervention-engine/

Not sure why my map was disqualified, how can I contact the judges?
07/23/2018 10:17 pm
Level 10 : Journeyman Warrior
Plasma_X
Hello! This is a VERY Important question, seeing how it might cause almost 1/3 of the entries to be moved to the team version. I have noticed that about 1/3 of the submissions are using renders, or stories, or background pictures, or thumbnails MADE BY SOMEONE ELSE. I didn’t use any of these because I did not know how, and I thought it would Be illegal to get someone else to make one for me. Part of the scoring is on presentation, so shouldn’t those entries be moved to the team contest? This might sound like I am trying to lessen the competition, but I promise that’s not the intent. If they any decision is made, please delete this post so I don’t get a bad name, plus a lot of hate mail.
07/23/2018 12:05 pm
Level 19 : Journeyman Network
agilexps
Eiiiiik! I am a bit nervous right now because I tried to go back and take down one of the pics from our team submission that I did but it was at 6am and now no can edit. There is a screenshot that is not even of the map that I submitted but I put it in because it is the only image I have of people other than myself from our team. It is a billboard we made in game of the Esports Arena that offered free hosting to our free Minecraft summer camp. If that goes against the ad policy can you please remove it for me? Same thing goes for the solo entry I put in but from what I have been reading it looks like that shouldn't be a problem. I just really don't want to be the reason my team of youngins gets disqualified after we have been working on this instensively for the past several weeks. Mahalos for your consideration and all this good work. I am excited to go through all the other entries with the kiddos soon!
07/23/2018 8:03 am
agilexps
So.... our map is 11.1 GB ... I am not sure I will be able to upload it to anything where it can be downloaded or submitted in time. What do we do? Sorry for the n00b status questions :(
07/23/2018 12:06 pm
agilexps
Okay got it handled... compression seems to be a lot better than when I last checked jajaja 11.1GB became 660MB w/ 7zip so 1 map is up via Google Drive and the other via DropBox :-)
07/19/2018 5:58 pm
Level 61 : High Grandmaster Terraformer
Ivain
Is it just me or are there way too few quality entries for the level of the prize right now? There's only 3 days left, with a prize 5 times the value of the normal prizes you'd think we'd have at least twice the usual number of contestants...
07/21/2018 11:18 am
Level 49 : Master Fox
LimeeFox
My memories from the previous contests show that all of the highet quality entries are submitted in the last 2 days
07/21/2018 1:06 pm
Level 61 : High Grandmaster Terraformer
Ivain
I always thought it was the last 3 days, and usually there'd be like 5 half-decent ones by then. But now half of them are barely projects at all
07/21/2018 1:14 pm
Level 49 : Master Fox
LimeeFox
yeah, half of them are doubtlessly accidental contest box ticked
07/19/2018 4:36 am
Level 23 : Expert Miner
RLLL93
If I want to put 2 projects on this contest, could I put one to solo and one to team (being in a team of 1) or must I just choose one?
07/19/2018 9:07 amhistory
Level 33 : Artisan Imposter
Jatzylap
I think you can, as both contests can be entered in Solo. You can submit a Solo map (team of 1) in the Team contest if you wanted, and you can as a Team (with more than 1 player) too.

Just not the other way around. XD
07/08/2018 3:42 am
agilexps
Our map involves a lot of written books via signed Book & Quill ... when the judges download the map will those items all stay and be part of the review? It is kind of crucial to our build...
07/19/2018 6:18 am
RLLL93
mine map uses book and quill as well, I think that they will get the book
07/05/2018 5:42 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
killerdora
Can we submit multiple maps? Like a portal where you can go to 3 different worlds similar to Hypixels compass teleportation portal? Then I could show a comparison of time

if not would it possible to have 3 different worlds on one map via command blocks?
07/06/2018 3:23 pm
Cyprezz
You may only submit one entry into the contest. The map must be downloadable and playable in Vanilla Minecraft, meaning no mods necessary to play it.

Having portals to different "times" sounds cool. You'll have to figure out a way of doing it on one map and without requiring third party mods. You could use Nether portals, have people walk through one, out another and into a new "time".
07/03/2018 9:04 am
Level 33 : Artisan Imposter
Jatzylap
Hello,
This sounds epic! However, I generally use an OptiFine version (which I think is a mod?) when I play;
just to improve the game performance of normal Minecraft versions... Is this ok to use? (The world is still
compatible with normal versions, so I think this would be ok)

And just a last question: I will be using a World Maker application to generate custom structures in another MC world so I can import it with Structure blocks into my world, to be used as a model for my own buildings (as I will be working more with command blocks). Is this allowed?

Thanks in advance for replying!
07/03/2018 9:09 am
Cyprezz
Yes to both questions. Optifine is fine. Using World Maker to aid you during the creation process is allowed.
07/01/2018 7:23 am
CubesideDE
Hi, just two short Questions:
Would a Plugin to make editing armorstand simpler allowed. Allover the Map could be opened with a vanilla Minecraft version, its like doing this with Commands. But the plugin makes it easier for use to edit it. Here is an example:

Second Question is:

Can we use Heads for example from http://minecraft-heads.com/ ?

Thanks
07/01/2018 10:52 am
Cyprezz
Yes, as long as, like you said, it can be viewed in vanilla Minecraft.

The heads question though, that's interesting and I'm not sure it should be allowed. Looking at your particular use of them, I'd lean towards allowing BUT I imagine there are other uses that would feel unfair since we do not allow third party texture packs. This is a fun "hack" way that the community has come up with to add more "blocks" to the game. I can't tell you for sure right now on whether custom heads will be allowed in the contest. I'll discuss with judge team early next week.
07/08/2018 1:04 pmhistory
CubesideDE
Was there a decision regarding the Heads?
07/01/2018 3:10 pm
CubesideDE
Thanks for response :)

We ask because we want to use this for decorative purposes, for expample using costum heads on armor stands to show some people in our map or put an apple on a table. We are definitly wont using them to add more blocks. But we understand your arguments and hope you have good news for us ^^
06/26/2018 2:16 pm
Level 31 : Artisan Procrastinator
CatboyTavi
Can we do this on the Windows 10 edition, or is this specifically Java Edition (This is probably a dumb question, but I didn't see it answered anywhere else) asking for the team build contest.
06/26/2018 2:44 pm
Cyprezz
Do you know how to make a downloadable map from the windows 10 version? All entries must be downloadable so that members & judges have the ability to explore your map in Minecraft.
06/26/2018 3:40 pm
Level 31 : Artisan Procrastinator
CatboyTavi
Okay, never mind then, just curious.
06/24/2018 11:24 am
Level 24 : Expert Architect
proxwarrior33
hey is worldedit allowed
06/26/2018 2:43 pm
Cyprezz
Yes
06/23/2018 3:13 pm
RLLL93
I hope it's OK that even tho I am building by myself, I will apply to the team contest (because I like the team reward more and I'd like my YT channel advertised :D)
06/26/2018 2:39 pm
Cyprezz
Yes, you can enter the team contest even if you built solo.
06/20/2018 3:41 pm
Level 53 : Grandmaster Terraformer
Consue
Hey just wanted to clarify one of the rules, for 3d conversation is it no 3D models period, or are sculpts proven to be your own work allowed?
This is related to some map making tools like WorldMachine and WorldPainter were most of the work is done outside MC but is your own work never the less.
06/26/2018 2:43 pm
Cyprezz
Apologies for getting back to you a few days late. It sounds like what you're planning will be fine since they are your own models & it's used as an aid not as the sole creation method. We just don't want entries that are straight up imported from existing 3D models and then little to nothing done beyond that. Looking at your past work, it's evident you're not going to simply import and call it good.
06/20/2018 2:03 pm
Level 44 : Master Wolf
jessy999
does one have a restriction of the size of this map?
06/20/2018 2:49 pm
Cyprezz
No restriction but it does need to be downloadable so members and judges can experience it for themselves. Doesn't need to be uploaded to PMC but does need to be uploaded to a file hosting service and linked to on your project.
06/20/2018 3:05 pm
Level 44 : Master Wolf
jessy999
ok ^^
06/18/2018 9:21 pm
Level 24 : Expert Modder
Nevermind3476
Just making sure, it can be an adventure map right?
06/18/2018 11:21 pm
Cyprezz
Yep, sure can!
06/18/2018 2:21 pm
This reply was removed by the poster or a moderator.
06/18/2018 2:25 pm
Cyprezz
Sure, it doesn't even have to be a story based on Minecraft at all. You are free to interpret the them "A Journey Through Time" in your own way. If you don't think others will "get" your idea, simply help them understand in the description of the project.
06/17/2018 6:07 pm
agilexps
Hiya! So the goal with our team was to do a topographically accurate 1:1 map of Oʻahu and build it out. However I am now realizing that with the tallest point above sea level is 1222.248 meters so 256 blocks will not allow for that. We cannot use any height mods as far as I understand the rules. So maybe we are limited to a 5:1 ratio for the contest?  
06/18/2018 2:28 pm
Cyprezz
Correct, map should be viewable with vanilla Minecraft without having to install third party mods in order to properly load & explore it.

I hope working with a 5:1 ratio allows you enough freedom for what your hoping to accomplish. Sounds awesome
06/19/2018 9:10 pm
agilexps
thanks! Ya I think it should still be good. Just means that we are at least 7ft taler than your average Titan? at 3:1 I was saying we would be Frost Giants.... not sure what is exactly 10 Meters tall though so I am still looking for a good reference point jajaja. Maybe something in the stories here... certainly no shortage of enormous entities afoot.

We actually have 2 maps we are working on. 1 is he Oʻahu map, 5:1 scale and topographically accurate, the other is the entire Hawaiian Kingdom, 16.5:1 scale and topographically accurate (Mauna Kea is supppper high above sea level so that makes the Kingdom map scale a lot different). Would our one team submit two maps or would we have to field a separate team for each map? If so can there be a mix of players that are on both teams and some only on one team or how does that work? I wont spoil our build strategy entirely by getting into the details of what we are building but I think I have shared enough to get the answers I am looking for...
06/17/2018 9:42 am
Level 46 : Master Kitten
Bernie_F
Sorry last question from me. I've not updated pc in a while so I'm still using integrated gcard. I get lighting bugs aplenty and increasing block distance to 20+ melts the hardware. My in-game screenshots won't have much depth and have those horrible dark shadows littered about.
If I include enough sc-shots to give the impression of moving through the world to cover everything will this suffice even with light glitch?
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome