Madness skin contest - winners!

DinowCookie's Avatar DinowCookie7/10/18 7:14 pm history
22 emeralds 1.9k 24
7/14/2018 11:01 am
DinowCookie's Avatar DinowCookie

The Madness contest has come to an end. There are a total of 34 entries! Thank you everyone who participated, it's been great to see your interpretations of the theme. There's cheese for everyone who entered :D (participation badge!):

DragonsDungeon and I judged this contest based on the overall technique, concept and originality of the entries. We each picked our favorites and ranked them in a discussion. Judging this contest was very tricky, as we've seen a very broad variety of concepts and skill levels. It was a matter of apples and oranges, so please don't be too disappointed if you didn't win. We very much appreciate everyone's effort and we hope you had great fun taking part! :) These are our picks:

The beginner category had 14 entries. This means a top-two was chosen.

#1 Beginner: Fanawtik
We picked Fanawtik's skin as the winner in the beginner category. Congratulations! :D

Why? At first this skin seemed.. very messy. And the back of it is a complete chaos indeed. It didn't seem to make sense but then we noticed that there are letters on the back of the skin, at least, we think there are. We attempted to read it and together we came up with the words "bring" "wear" and "star"? Not sure what it means, not sure what the intention was, but we do know that this skin certainly had us look twice!

We would really like to know what this madman is trying to tell us and what your further ideas were with this skin, please let us know if you can!

The shading on the front of the skin is nicely done and you made creative use of the 3D layer for one of the eyes. A tip would be to try and use shading to make the back of the skin a bit more readable, and maybe a more detailed description would've been nice. Overall this is a mind-boggling skin which perfectly fits the madness theme.

We hereby give you, Fanawtik, the title of Master of Madskins!

Fanawtik - Old "two-cent" Jamie

#2 Beginner: TakoTacos
The number two in the beginner category is a skin about color blindness by TakoTacos. Well done! ^_^

We picked this skin because the concept is very interesting. The skin is about colorblindness and how it can drive you mad (as a skin creator). I'm sure I'd go mad if I would suddenly turn color blind! :o

You say you have a hard time telling blues and purples apart. Even so, you did a real nice job shading the blue dress. It is definitely one of the better shaded entries in the beginner category. A tip would be to make the bottom of the body the same color as the dress, but that's probably something you overlooked rather than an intentional choice. Choosing to work with blues, purples and grayscale was a nice creative decision and it's fun to read that you made the skin to look like yourself.

You, TakoTacos, have earned the title of Hero of Madskins!

TakoTacos - blindness

The intermediate category had 15 entries which was just enough for us to pick a top-three!

#1 Intermediate: Bibisaur
The winner in the intermediate category is Bibisaur, with a rather frightening skin of a killer clown. Congrats! :D

The concept was quite an obvious pick for a madness competition. There were a couple of concepts in the intermediate category that were more original, but the shading on this skin was so done outstandingly well that we chose to select it as the winner. Also the short paragraph in the description of the skin is goosebumps material, yikes!

This skin is a lot better compared to your previous work. We can tell you put a lot of effort into creating it and it's awesome to see you improve. Keep it up! ^_^

Congratulations, Bibisaur, you were awarded with the title of Deity of Madskins!

Bibisaur - Killer clown

#2 Intermediate: An Intelligent Moron
The runner-up for this category is 'An Intelligent Moron', congratulations! :D

We were very impressed with the skin, particularly the face was very impressive, utilizing a light-source and some nice hat-layer and design choices. Moreover the concept was interesting and the execution of said concept was also well done.

The reason this skin doesn't win despite the good concept and great design choices is due to how the execution is when you look at the skin in detail. Outside of the arms and legs are purely flat with lines or blocks running across without detail added into the shading. When compared to the front and the back this is an odd choice in our eyes.

Additionally, the light-source used, while adding a good effect, is somewhat inconsistent. For example: The top of the head uses the same shading and lighting throughout. The same can be said about the clothing on the front and the cape on the back. So those are our tips for possible improvement. :)

A very good effort regardless. You showed great creativity with this skin and we can't wait to see more content like this from you.

We hereby award you, An Intelligent Moron, with the title of Legend of Madskins!

An Intelligent Moron - What you consider mad is my happiness, darling.

#3 Intermediate: cultdad666
In third place we have cultdad666 with a skin which shows various emotions. A representation of some inspiration images which show the madness of hysteria.

We chose this skin as our third place winner mostly because of the originality of the concept. The design is also very well thought out. Making a good looking face on a Minecraft skin is not easy, and this one has four of them! It's very readable and one can easily tell which face shows which emotion. Making good use of the 3D layers can be tricky, but you most certainly nailed it!

A tip would be in the coloring, there is room for improvement in that. A more bold hue-shift and contrast might have suited this skin well. Nevertheless it's a great skin and we hope to see more skins with such great creativity from you in the future. :D

You, cultdad66, have earned the title of Grandmaster of Madskins!

cultdad666 - don't be so emotional

The expert category had only 5 entries (hoping for more next time!), so we were able to only pick one winner in this category!

#1 Expert: Auri
We have determined the winner for this category to be the one skin creator we moved from intermediate to expert: Auri.

Auri's skins showcase great overall readability with a clear design, purpose and concept. That was all backed up by appropriate color choices and shading that gave the skin a dark feel to it and ultimately emphasized the skins concept.

We found that the back of the head was a bit underwhelming compared to the rest of the skin and the light-source on the back of the skin looked a bit scattered, which are our small points of feedback. Overall the skin stands strong. The way the skull in the cape was shaped is seriously impressive!

This category was filled with quality with Yuki shining in concept and Iskey shining in coloring: However Auri captured a good portion of both which resulted in a great skin that ultimately took the first place in this category.

Congratulations Auri! You won the ultimate title of Overlord of Madskins!

Congratulations to all the winners! And thanks again to everyone who took part. To anyone who signed up but didn't find the time to make an entry, we understand and hope to see an entry from you in any future events instead. Please do feel free to use the cheese wheel participation badge on your profile if you took part. Winners can display their title badge on their profile as well. :D

We had good fun organizing this contest, and we hope you all had fun taking part. Hope to see you next time! :)
DinowCookie
Retired Moderator
Level 70 : Legendary Dinosaur