Ohhithere1543's Building Contest - Round 1

Chiaroscuro's Avatar Chiaroscuro12/18/17 11:09 am history
5 emeralds 588 9
1/22/2018 4:36 am
Kulmen29's Avatar Kulmen29
The Rules

Welcome to the first round of my contest! Because we do not have a full roster of builders, this contest will not follow the traditional tournament-style brackets of skin competitions. Instead, all builders will compete in all three rounds of the contests and point totals will be tallied at the end of the competition. The general rules are as follows:
  1. Entries are due at 12:00 pm GMT on 22 January, 2018. No late entries will be accepted*, however if all contestants submit their entries early, judging and the next round will begin early.
  2. Points are awarded out of 25 in each of these categories: Accuracy, Detail, Execution, and Presentation. A total of 100 points is available per builder per round. A full breakdown of judging criteria can be found later.
  3. All rounds require the submission of a minimum of one (1) complete exterior. Landscaping and interiors are not required; however, if they are provided, they will be judged (as such, providing a poorly-done interior may hurt your score, but providing a well-done interior may improve your score).
  4. All submissions must be done with Vanilla blocks; however, you may use whatever resource pack you choose. If you use any resource pack other than Vanilla, you must provide a link to that resource pack.
  5. All submissions must be in the form of a world download (no schematics accepted) linked in a comment on this forum post before the deadline.
The theme for this competition is the Gothic style. The Gothic is traditionally understood to have its roots in France in the mid-1100s, before spreading throughout Europe well into the 16th century. The Gothic found new life in the mid-1800s as medieval enthusiasts revived the style, however for this challenge we will focus on the original architecture.

The Challenge

The challenge for this first round is an imitation challenge. As some of you may know, I recently released a model of the Sainte-Chapelle in the Palais de la Cité, in Paris. After its construction, many spin-offs were created elsewhere in France. For this challenge, your task is to replicate the Sainte-Chapelle at the Chateau de Vincennes just outside of Paris, built in 1379.

The builders participating in this contest are:

Kaotic Kingdom
Shimoto
AkiShirai7
Kulmen29

Unfortunately, one of the builders who had originally entered dropped out of the competition due to personal reasons.

The Judging

The breakdown of judging criteria is as follows:

Accuracy – I am looking for a faithful representation of the Gothic style, and in the case of imitation challenges, a faithful representation of the building in question.

Detail – Here I am looking at how you use the tools that Minecraft gives you to add decorations to your builds. A tip: a smaller build with the same level of detail as a larger build will always be more impressive to me.

Execution – This is a category of how well you carry out the task given to you. Different challenges have different requirements.

Presentation – This category judges how you offer up your builds. This may include interiors, landscaping, or even just presenting your structure in a clean, neat fashion. While I don’t put a large emphasis on screenshots/renders, they fall under this category.

You may choose to build at whatever scale you like, but keep in mind that bigger does not always mean better.

If you missed the entry for this contest and would like to participate in a future one, let me know and I’ll be sure to contact you if/when the next one happens.

Good luck builders!

*If you need more time than is currently allowed, contact me and suggest a new end date. A majority of the builders in the competition must agree to your extension in order for it to be valid.
Chiaroscuro
Level 62 : High Grandmaster Ladybug