Ohhithere1543's Writing Contest - Round 2

Chiaroscuro's Avatar Chiaroscuro1/23/18 10:08 am history
2/22/2018 12:17 am
JediJerboa's Avatar JediJerboa

The Rules

Welcome to the second round of my contest! This competition will follow a modified tournament-style bracket with 4 rounds. For this round, 4 writers will be allowed to move on to the semi-finals. The general rules are as follows:
  1. Entries are due at 12:00 pm GMT on 22 February, 2018. No late entries will be accepted*, however if all contestants submit their entries early, judging and the next round will begin early.
  2. Entries must be exclusively yours. No collaboration is allowed.
  3. Whether you advance to the next round of competition is determined solely by my judgment. The amount of diamonds or favorites on your submission will not count toward your chance of moving on.
  4. All rounds require the submission of a short story of 500-5000 words in prose. Please leave a word count somewhere on your submission. Link your submission in the comments of this post.
  5. Only the text of your story will be judged. Any visuals you use will not be judged, though they will be appreciated.
  6. All submissions must be in the form of a blog post linked in a comment on this forum post before the deadline.
The Challenge

The challenge for this round is called “Tense Encounters”.

For this challenge, write a short story in which your character is seated next to someone they had a grudge against years ago on a plane flight. Describe their experiences in first person.

The Contestants

The writers (in no particular order) in the quarterfinals are:

JediJerboa
Pwr2TheLocalDreemurr
CaelChan
grxnt
ExtremeSubtlety
LucianasLucario
signcraft
Ivain

The Judging

The breakdown of judging criteria is as follows:

Originality – Make your stories new and interesting! I want to see you think outside the box, present plots in unexpected ways, write something I’ve not read before.

Quality – Write well and present clearly. Proofread your entries!

Cohesion – Organize your thoughts and finish your stories. Make sure that your story is a complete package as-is, without the need for “Part 2” or other accessories.

Let me know if you would like my in-depth feedback of your work and I will PM my thoughts to you. However, keep in mind that my writing is not perfect and I judge from my perspective as a reader and writer.

If you missed the entry for this contest and would like to participate in a future one, let me know and I’ll be sure to contact you when the next one happens.

Good luck writers!

*If you need more time than is currently allowed, contact me and suggest a new end date. A majority of the writers in the competition must agree to your extension in order for it to be valid.

Chiaroscuro
Level 62 : High Grandmaster Ladybug