A survey for Net Neutrality

Programmers4us's Avatar Programmers4us11/21/17 6:48 pm history
2 emeralds 326 9
11/24/2017 1:04 pm
Programmers4us's Avatar Programmers4us
I heard the news about the FCC planning on repealing net neutrality in December. I have decided to make a survey to see how everyone who decides to participate is going to be affected and whom they will be affected by.

I am also interested in what you have to say about the change of the Internet. Since I have created this post, I am not allowed to say much about this as it will taint your responses. But I will say that in a time where a lot of people see a huge loss, there are those who will see opportunities.

The link to the survey is right here.

docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSe_PR999P7-1aSCIHv3K9V-zX4h_qHJgAh6Q_VioJ_fmJblPw/viewform?usp=sf_link
Programmers4us
Level 2 : Apprentice Miner

Create an account or sign in to comment.

11/24/2017 1:04 pm
Programmers4us
So I've been looking at the responses and there's some interesting facts I'd like to point out. They probably will surprise you.

First of all, the media has probably completely botched what "net neutrality" is. It's not about fast lanes or information or any of that. Based on the survey results we have so far, the term "net neutrality" is "network neutrality".

It actually means that the network infrastructure is being regulated, not the broadband access itself. This means ISP's cant grow or expand without permission. They merge to cover already owned territories of other companies. Which the FCC decides on.

The ISP's aren't against us or anyone, it's the FCC that has restrictions on us.

We also found out that a city has access to 10Gbps, the city being Chattanooga, and the city had created a company named EPB. The EPB has told the FCC to lift expansion restrictions beyond their 600 square mile range (the size of the city) and the FCC has done nothing about it. Obama in presidency has congratulated Chattanooga for being the fastest in the nation and to encourage other companies to move forward. But that may mean that his net neutrality law prevented them from expanding, hindering the infrastructure.

This is a fight against how many people can access infrastructure, not actual access to content. To expand companies have to "merge", also under FCC's decision, but they can leave the merger and it's a never ending loop. The only ones who benefit are corporations with these restrictions as new ISP's can't be created or expand to new territories. ISP's want to get rid of the expansion problem. That's why they want to get rid of it being a "utility", because utilities can't expand without government approval.

Network neutrality, in this way, is bad because every company has to remain neutral to new infrastructure. It probably has nothing to do with content on the internet itself. So either you can see it as restriction to content (bad), or restriction to building new infrastructure, such as cell towers (bad).

Based on my research, I think that if the FCC losses this, they can no longer control how ISP's do infrastructure. Which is completely not even close to what we're hearing on the news.

Here's my report and the survey is also available at the bottom if you want to take it.
docs.google.com/document/d/1GkmrHrpUu47ap12wDy23OCngZcydbmY9jOBObT3QfTk/edit
11/23/2017 11:02 am
Programmers4us
I own an internet company so I have refused to state my stance on the matter. But I must say, it's better to be prepared for whatever happens.
11/21/2017 10:27 pm
Level 6 : Apprentice Miner
SpookAI
If they take it away, I will be very happy. my district has one ISP, Frontier, and it SUCKS. It's also pretty freaking expensive. If they repeal it, I'm getting Verizon or sprint. No more forcing me to buy crappy service.
11/22/2017 2:53 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
rkendall94
Do you even know what net neutrality is? It has nothing to do with the availability of ISPs.
11/22/2017 10:49 pm
Level 6 : Apprentice Miner
SpookAI
I have a very good idea of what Net Neutrality is. I have done quite a lot of research on the matter. If you want to see the essay I wrote on it, just ask.
11/23/2017 11:35 am
Programmers4us
Actually. I think this guy is right. It would make sense. Of my understanding of the Internet as a utility, the real people who would be our enemies are and always have been the FCC. Due to restrictions on the expansion of utility companies. If net neutrality ends, it reopens the control for ISP's to offer new services in new areas.
11/23/2017 12:04 pm
Level 38 : Artisan Narwhal
Hockeybuilder07
There's your stance right there
11/23/2017 12:58 pm
Programmers4us
What I do doesn't revolve around net neutrality because I think it's not the problem. With or without net neutrality is hindering to what my business does. It's not something we talk about because we know we won't be affected.

But our research does correlate to what SpookAI has stated. It could help in more ways than harm. That's why I put this survey here. If you look at the data (which is public access), you will find consistency of price and expansion restrictions to ISP's. That's interesting and we didn't think we would find such a pattern.
11/22/2017 9:25 am
Programmers4us
Very interesting. I like people seeing the good in unusual situations.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome