Ban Pixel Art

brandman's Avatar brandman4/18/12 4:24 pm
4/22/2012 4:11 am
Cassie's Avatar Cassie
I believe that PMC should no longer allow pixel art to be posted. It causes too much trouble in the fact that it can be hard to prove a submission is or isn't a program generated project. Pixel art really serves no purpose in game anyways, unless you wanted it on your server, but it honestly takes no skill to upload it onto a program. If one really wanted to show off their "skills" in creating pixel work, then they can just create a pixel art gallery, showcasing art they made in Paint, or photoshop, not minecraft.

Now I understand this may seem a little drastic, but they fake work is really getting out of hand. Here are some alternatives I propose:

•Ban on 2D Pixel art, not 3D.
Pros: allow's actually work to shine through
Cons: Still can be fairly stupid.

•Force submitter's to provide proof.
Pros: Allows members to be at ease that they actually did they work
Cons: There truly is not definitive way to prove themselves. The closest is
timelapse, and that doesn't prove whether they have gotten the blue prints from a
program still, just proves they placed the blocks. While this may
discourage many slackers, it still misses the point.

Please provide feedback on this, as this needs to be addressed. Here's hoping that it is accepted.
brandman
Level 32 : Artisan Narwhal

Create an account or sign in to comment.

04/22/2012 4:11 am
Level 16 : Journeyman Artist
Cassie
Honestly.
Some things that people make as Pixel Art is pretty amazing.

I wouldn't go and ban it because one simply doesn't like it.
A vast majority of the Minecraft community does like pixel art and so does a majority of the PMC community.

It'd be limiting users and stopping them from posting what they're probably best at.

I honestly don't mind them and occasionally stop and look at some.

If you look at it this way.
In some form, everything on Minecraft is pixel art.
04/22/2012 3:48 am
Level 7 : Apprentice Architect
PanickyGamers
I agree with you Doggle
04/19/2012 5:54 pm
Level 35 : Artisan Dragon
Clue
Recognition?
What exactly is the purpose of recognition on a site that feeds of off a game that will most likely last only 2-3 more years, and that is being generous?
04/19/2012 5:25 pm
Level 36 : Artisan Turtle
Planet_MInecraft_OP
You just went against the basic human nature that is the sense of creativity, Not just anyone can do pixel art. I ask you, why do you play Minecraft? The best and honest answer would be "To have fun." So why restrict having fun. People should do anything that makes them happy. Even if it is generated, (I had no idea that was possible...) people still might have fun. I see it this way; You don't have to look at their pixel art, you do not have to promote it, but you should not despise a simple way to show your creativity. You enjoy Minecraft for other reasons. We do not criticize you for it. Relax and let people do what they want to do. If you think about it, they are doing everything that you do. Just in a different form. Social statures should not be set by one person. That is the basis of democracy. Anyone can think whatever they want to think and no one is there to tell them they are stupid and wrong to believe so. In earlier times, people criticized painting and drawing. Now look what it has become. I bet you have both painted and drawn. No one restricts you from that. It would be wrong and unjust to do so. Therefore, let people do whatever, they have the right.
04/19/2012 5:16 pm
Level 28 : Expert Pixel Puncher
WhiteFire_
Look, LOOK, FUDGING LOOK. We as a minecraft society play minecraft because minecraft is a large, random, FREE, world. I can make ANYTHING I want on minecraft and nobody can limit the amount of publicity it gets. Planet minecraft is le best place to post my pixel art work and I wouldn't have come to PMC if it wasn't for the idea of posting ANYTHING minecraft related. KSO, this idea is not your best.
04/19/2012 4:57 pm
Level 45 : Master Network
accountfleftfordead
Just saying: pixel art is useless
04/22/2012 3:50 am
Level 36 : Artisan Network
Charlizard
Anything we do in minecraft is useless. But it still fills our time so we find it fun to make.
04/19/2012 5:10 pm
Clue
So, things need a USE to be posted?
Everything on this entire website is useless in the long run.
Art is useless.
Media is useless.
They are entertaining to look at and watch.
They are entertaining to make.
Does it need a use beyond that?
04/19/2012 5:29 pm
Level 8 : Apprentice Miner
Theta
Not at all. But people are taking recognition they wouldn't deserve because they didn't make it themselves.

I notice this topic seems to be a back and forth, for and against conversation.
Banning is extreme, for such a silly thing. It's unfair on all the "honest" pixel artists.
There are several blogs on how to spot the difference I notice, so there is always that.
Posting proof you actually created it in the first place is another option. (e.g timelapse)

With the logic of saying "pixel art is useless", pretty much everything else on PMC would be useless as well.
04/19/2012 4:54 pm
Clue
Meh, I don't like pixel art.
IF I had the power to ban it, would I?
No.
Even if people cheat, I fail to see the point.
Using CreeperCarole's closing data as a basis:
What is the difference between a Level 1 Miner and a Level 500 Miner?
One person had a decent idea, and people liked it.
I could take pixelated apples, and slap them on a pixelated stick, and rub pixelated caramel, and post it on PMC, and people could like it, and I could get hundreds of levels.
And what have I gained?
A website for a video game that will most likely be gone before the decade ends has me on a high rank that proves nothing.
i cud tak liek dis, and be level 9001, and would anyone respect me?
Unlikely.
What should matter is that YOU feel that YOU have contributed, and YOU feel proud.
The people who use exterior programs, what of it?
Do they feel proud of what the program did in under 10 seconds.
Unlikely.
((Also CreeperCarole, I believe the big difference between MCEdit/WorldEdit/Etc in most minds is that those devices take a while to learn fully, and takes moderate-large effort to utilize))
I know a person who is, like, level 10, and I think he is a very intelligent and respectable person.
I know a person who was once JUST like that person, then became excessively popular, and I respect them just as I respect the level 10 Miner.
Which one do I like better?
The Level 10 Miner, because the excessively popular one either became to busy and couldn't really do anything that I was involved with, because they were trying to stay popular.
I used to try to become popular on this site, and I tried various methods, and it wasn't working out so I became angry and unofficially left for a time being.
In that time being, I discovered, "Why in Sam's Name do I even care!?"
Why would I want to be popular in a virtual reality, or a related existence.
Why would I want people who I would pretty much never meet and get to know be begging for more from me?
So I ask this, why do you want the people who "cheat" to stop?
Is it because you want them to feel better about their lives and are afraid they might spiral into a deep dark depression because they stop feeling proud about themselves?
I am pretty sure that you don't.
I am pretty sure it is because YOU want to be on the popular reel.
And to that I say: "Who Really Cares?"
This entire website, all of Minecraft will, most likely, be gone in 5-10 years.
And if not, computers will change, and Minecraft won't run anymore, so it only lived a SLIGHTLY longer life, and this website would be unneeded, and all of your achievements would be lost for ever, and all of the people who cheat's achievements will be gone.
So why?
Why do you really care?
04/19/2012 4:31 pm
Level 54 : Grandmaster Witch
mommaCarole
let's face reality here: all MC builds are pixel art. All of 'em. some are 2D, some are 3D. You make them out of little cubes. Therefore: pixel art.

if you say "no pixel art" the next step is "no builds unless they're redstone." I don't see anyone proposing no noteblock schematics, even though you can import them through a 3rd party program. You can also make all your builds with MCEdit or other world editors.

There are those people who will cheat. And there are those people who will do the work painstakingly, block by block. At the end of the day, who really cares? Are you concerned that people who "cheated" are getting xp? The xp doesn't mean anything. Diamonds don't mean anything. Does it lessen the value of YOUR diamonds if someone who cheated got some as well?

Just do what YOU enjoy, and let people do what THEY enjoy. And if you don't want to look at pixel art... don't.
04/19/2012 1:52 pm
Level 36 : Artisan Network
Charlizard
I grew here from posting pixel art. I would hate to see it taken away.
04/19/2012 12:51 pm
Level 24 : Expert Lumberjack
SiennaRaider21
Okay I have two things to say here:
  • 1. To the haters, calm down. He is just proposing an idea, not declaring war.
  • 2. To
  • brandman
  • , I don't really like the idea. Pixel art is a big part of the minecraft community. It would not be right to ban it. I would rather maybe see something like a seperate section or something.
04/19/2012 12:25 pm
Level 25 : Expert Network
Animatrix
Hey, have you seen my BLOG? it pretty much tells you how to distinguish between fake and real.

I have. It was educational to most, but I kinda knew everything that you had to tell.
Also, your blog doesn't really relate to this discussion. We're discussing wether or not to ban it altogether, rather than tell wether or not it's fake.
04/19/2012 3:46 am
Level 34 : Artisan Pokemon
NobSwitch
WolfOfDoom
NobSwitch
Hey, have you seen my BLOG? it pretty much tells you how to distinguish between fake and real.

No, I haven't. I'll check later, as I tend to avoid blogs all together ;3

I've just posted it a few hours ago, It's on the pop reel, I suggest you do read it.
04/19/2012 3:42 am
Level 32 : Artisan Taco
FoxOfDoom
NobSwitch

No, I haven't. I'll check later, as I tend to avoid blogs all together ;3
04/19/2012 3:36 am
NobSwitch
WolfOfDoom
Animatrix[quote="WolfOfDoom"
Also, how are they supposed to submit evidence? If it's a tick-box like in contests, they'll just skip the box and post. It causes an inconvinience for those that do it legit, which is most people.
Again, I completely disagree with this.

I wouldn't know to be honest, that's why I left it open to discussion. As for causing an inconvenience, that's what I'm trying to avoid, at least to an extent. Again, I would want the proof to be user friendly and somewhat easy to upload. Of course, there's always the option to do nothing, as the report system we have in place now works fine as long as users show proper proof that the pixel art was made with a program. But that is yet another problem, as there's no easy way of telling if someone made a pixel art submission with a 3rd party program that I know of. That's why I asked in my previous post for others to post their process of determining if a pixel art submission is legitimate or not.

Touche.

Even though that's a reason not to ban pixel art, that's not the reason I want to get across.

Like posted above, and on page 1, it prohibits creativity.[/quote]
I understand the reason you're trying to get across. And I couldn't agree with your more, however, I'm just trying to assess the situation at hand (How we can stop the illegitimate pixel art/submissions). I'm simply trying to come up with an easy way of determining a if pixel art is legitimate, or an easy way of supplying proof that it's legitimate.[/quote]

04/19/2012 3:35 am
Animatrix
I wouldn't know to be honest, that's why I left it open to discussion. As for causing an inconvenience, that's what I'm trying to avoid, at least to an extent. Again, I would want the proof to be user friendly and somewhat easy to upload. Of course, there's always the option to do nothing, as the report system we have in place now works fine as long as users show proper proof that the pixel art was made with a program. But that is yet another problem, as there's no easy way of telling if someone made a pixel art submission with a 3rd party program that I know of. That's why I asked in my previous post for others to post their process of determining if a pixel art submission is legitimate or not.
Touche.

Even though that's a reason not to ban pixel art, that's not the reason I want to get across.

Like posted above, and on page 1, it prohibits creativity.
I understand the reason you're trying to get across. And I couldn't agree with your more, however, I'm just trying to assess the situation at hand (How we can stop the illegitimate pixel art/submissions). I'm simply trying to come up with an easy way of determining a if pixel art is legitimate, or an easy way of supplying proof that it's legitimate.

And I'm not contradicting you otherwise. I actually rather like your suggestions, they bring out possible ways to improve the site.
04/19/2012 3:33 am
FoxOfDoom
Animatrix
WolfOfDoom
Animatrix
Also, how are they supposed to submit evidence? If it's a tick-box like in contests, they'll just skip the box and post. It causes an inconvinience for those that do it legit, which is most people.

Touche.

I understand the reason you're trying to get across. And I couldn't agree with your statements/opinions more, however, I'm just trying to assess the situation at hand (How we can stop the illegitimate pixel art/submissions). I'm simply trying to come up with an easy way of determining a if pixel art is legitimate, or an easy way of supplying proof that it's legitimate.
04/19/2012 3:29 am
NobSwitch
Not trying to be Modest, but was this inspired by my Blog? ANyways, down to Business.

First of all, I see EXACTLY where your coming from, The pixel art programs are a massive program, but I don't think they should be banned entirely, I mean, the Moderators take care of these things quite well, although, Cyprezz COULD
implement Pixel Art Police or something, people who can tell the difference between the two and they would decide wether it's imported or not.

Secondly, It's not going to be banned, I like Pixel art, and so does 95% of the minecraft population, but good idea. I might subscribe to you.
04/19/2012 3:23 am
Animatrix
WolfOfDoom
Animatrix

Touche.

04/19/2012 3:21 am
FoxOfDoom
Animatrix

04/19/2012 2:56 am
Animatrix
I feel the need to post again.

You do understand that people do art to either challenge themselves, make something their proud of, or to get feelings out in a material form? I don't write poetry for XP, nor for "popularity". I do it so that I can get what I am feeling out in a way that won't destroy people's opinion of me. I have 2 friends that do pixel art, and they don't do it for PMC fame, or XP, or whatever else they might gain from it. They do it so that, nomatter how small the art is, they can finish with a smile on their faces.

To take away the opportunity to share your creation is almost violating human freedom.

I understand there is a small problem on this site regarding generated pixel art, but banning it outright isn't helping the situation. Also, how are they supposed to submit evidence? If it's a tick-box like in contests, they'll just skip the box and post. It causes an inconvinience for those that do it legit, which is most people.
04/18/2012 6:35 pm
FoxOfDoom
I disagree with the idea for a few reasons, which have been said in previous posts (Restricting PMC's creativeness and what not). But I think rather than banning it outright, and suffering all the possible cons of doing so, we should just make a requirement for users to upload proof when submitting pixel art (Making a requirement such as this is obviously going to take some time, a bit more thinking, and what, but that's the basic idea). Just my opinion and thoughts on the subject, anyways.

That being said, perhaps we can discuss ideas on what type of proof you would have to upload? Obviously, not everyone can make time lapses or videos, so it would have to be user friendly and somewhat easy to upload. Perhaps some moderators/users can post on here and describe how they determine a submission/pixel art was created with a third party tool? Quite a lot of work for just one category of this site, if you ask me. Besides that point, hope to see this thread lead to an implementation of some kind of requirement for pixel art.

Peri_RawesomeI think it should be banned too, I don't really see why, like brand man says, they don't just do pixel art in paint. I don't see that it serves any purpose what so ever in minecraft, or on PMC.

Well, some people use it to express creativeness, themselves, etc. That's a great purpose for having it, in my opinion :3
04/18/2012 6:20 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
LePWN
Are you out of your mind? 3D art and 2D art are same thing, basically. Both express artistic things, like color, and 2D is probably harder than 3D. Painting a wool pic takes quite the skill.
04/18/2012 6:16 pm
Level 42 : Master Lad
Peri_Rawesome
I think it should be banned too, I don't really see why, like brand man says, they don't just do pixel art in paint. I don't see that it serves any purpose what so ever in minecraft, or on PMC.
04/18/2012 5:51 pm
Level 21 : Expert Pony
acs26
This is stupid.So what somebody else is using something else?There is some people who don't you know.They did nothing,and you want pixel art banished?I don't think this will every go through.
04/18/2012 6:01 pm
Level 61 : High Grandmaster Turtle
Palaeos
He wants it banned due to the amount of people who use a program to make pixel art from a picture with the click of a button, the way he is going about it may not be the most effective though as the amount of legitimate builders far outweighs the illegitimate ones, Its really the same situation as those who use part pickers to make skins, that takes all of 5 seconds, no skill, and is against the rules but is still hard to keep off the site.
04/18/2012 5:41 pm
Level 30 : Artisan Musician
SoulLemon
I agree that computer generated pixel-art is pretty stupid, but there's really no way to stop that, besides doing what you said, which in my opinion is a pretty stupid idea, no offense. Banning pixel art is a bit extreme.
04/18/2012 5:40 pm
Level 21 : Expert Engineer
bigbuddy2932
I agree with you, but instead of banning it, we should give it it's own tab, and not mix it with projects.
04/19/2012 1:46 pm
Level 7 : Apprentice Crafter
ieatzyourface
Yes perhaps another section for pixel art. People can still upload as much as they want and those searching for good projects don't have to sift through 100's of pages of pixel art to find one good project. Although it could take a bit of time (not sure since i'm not a mod or cyprezz or anyone like that) to make it. But if it is ever added it would be a win win for everyone.
04/18/2012 5:36 pm
Level 45 : Master Enderdragon
s15c
I personally don't like the idea. The goal is to stop people who break rules/don't put any effort into stuff without affecting anyone who does (or by affecting them to an extremely small degree). This doesn't accomplish that goal. It's a meh idea to begin with, and the other negative responses sort of reinforce the idea that it's not the best.

I mean, I've always thought projects should be an area for true PROJECTS to be posted, like custom maps or cities or mansions and such, not houses or little tiny things, but those do belong in the projects section, and so does pixel art.
04/18/2012 5:27 pm
Level 8 : Apprentice Dragonborn
Knightspartan09
04/18/2012 5:20 pm
Palaeos
brandman
Come on, please leave thoughtful responses, not flame me and leave.

^^ This, if you can't explain why you dislike this idea then posting against it won't do any good. If you explain why you disagree we can see your points and have a decent discussion about the pros and cons of the idea.
04/18/2012 5:06 pm
Level 40 : Master Artist
xXDO0MXx
Hahahaha stupidest idea ever. SO stupid i actually clicked on it when i saw the title. You're out of your mind
04/18/2012 5:33 pm
Level 47 : Master Lad
Doggle
I call hater! I even find that very insulting even though it wasn't to me, you should of just left that post blank!

I never used pixel art, I used to be into pixel art 4-5 years ago but that was on paint. I have never used it but once or twice whilst I create my server (numbers and letters though) but it isn't really used that much. I have seen a lot of pixel art which is pointless or dumb but a lot of it is damn amazing. I know this can be done better in other programs which have pretty much infinite colours but people like to use Minecraft as their hub of work. That is pretty much like saying no editing pictures (like drawn ones) on adobe photoshop, although I too don't see the point of pixel art in minecraft when there is soooooo many beter choices out there they still deserve their right to use this as their hub for work and if they like it so be it! If I went out and got together a griefing clan THEN you can go and rant like this, you can state your point like you did but; did you think that you were just proving a side? No it was more a hater sort of view, I am sorry but this post is kinda too far for someone who doesn't like programs for MC pixel art.

P.S. I am sorry that there are sooooo many haters because they like that thing, they should try criticism.
04/18/2012 4:58 pm
Level 44 : Master Pokemon
jackattack4000
I don't like the idea.
04/18/2012 5:17 pm
brandman
Why not?

xXDO0MXxHahahaha stupidest idea ever. SO stupid i actually clicked on it when i saw the title. You're out of your mind

How is it stupid? How am I out of my mind?

Come on, please leave thoughtful responses, not flame me and leave.
04/18/2012 4:56 pm
brandman
PalaeosMy reason for this is because of the great amount of pixel art that is done legitimately.

I agree with you as well, and I would have to say that this is the biggest con, and I did take that into consideration before creating this thread. Again I don't see how legit ones outweigh the bad created from allowing pixel art, but I can understand how that would P people off. It's really hard to compromise, and the way I see it, it's all or nothing (for the most part).

But I'm sure Cyprezz may be happier with freed up memory, whether that would affect him at all idk, as I don't know how he hosts.
04/18/2012 4:42 pm
Palaeos
While I agree that the computer generated pixel art is really bad, and hard to prove it's not generated I'd rather we didn't ban pixel art. My reason for this is because of the great amount of pixel art that is done legitimately. This is similar to saying ban skins because of thieves and people who use part pickers, even though it's a bit of a stretch and not what you had meant.
Not to mention pixel art is one of the things I do well in MC.

Also just as there are program's to generate 2D pixel art from a blueprint in MC there is a similar thing for 3D works although it's not as common and a lot harder to prove/figure out it's being done.
04/18/2012 4:35 pm
Level 16 : Journeyman Unicorn
Noix
I agree, with Animatrix.
04/18/2012 4:31 pm
Animatrix
>.>
<.<

I think that prohibiting someone's creativity is bordering breaking the human right of freedom. If someone were to ban all poetry, due to people aleady rhyming words before you, I'd fight for my right to get it back. It's much the same here.

I disagree 100%
04/18/2012 4:50 pm
brandman
IPixel art really serves no purpose in game anyways, unless you wanted it on your server, but it honestly takes no skill to upload it onto a program. If one really wanted to show off their "skills" in creating pixel work, then they can just create a pixel art gallery, showcasing art they made in Paint, or photoshop, not minecraft.

This is not really not limiting your creativity. You can still make pixel art in paint you know. This wouldn't take away your ability to do that. Once again, pixel art serves little purpose in game, and I don't see how the hassle of trying to filter out legitimate submissions through a sea of fakes is worth the trouble of something of nearly worthless value. You can continue to be creative, but I'm asking not to submit it here in the submissions section.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome