Best entry-level Draw pads?

NonExistingName's Avatar NonExistingName1/3/15 12:03 pm
1/5/2015 1:16 pm
NonExistingName's Avatar NonExistingName
Title pretty much explains it. I'm looking for a decent draw pad on the price range of 50-150 euros. It'd be my first, so I would also appreciate tips/advice on what to look for and future use.

Probably best to add, I'll be using it for drawing mostly creatures, fantasy, landscapes and stuff. So a drawpad further leaned to the "artistic" side.

Sorry if I butchered some terms, I really have next-to-none experience with these things

Another thing (this one's the last, I promise), size does matter. My drawings aren't usually too big, but it still should give some room of maneuvering. I'm not using it for professional ends, mostly just for small, quick sketches and drawings. I also rarely color my drawings. That's probably irrelevant, but you never know!
NonExistingName
Level 25 : Expert Dragonborn

Create an account or sign in to comment.

01/05/2015 12:19 pm
NonExistingName
Are the pens so important? Do you have to buy new pens accordingly to your uses?
01/05/2015 12:48 pm
Level 37 : Artisan Explorer
TastyYoghurt
A pen always comes with a tablet. You won't have to buy new ones, unless you manage to break the one you have, which normally shouldn't happen. A pen needs a little thing called a nib to work, and nibs wear out over time but you can buy extra nibs pretty cheaply or even make them yourself, out of plastic or hard wood.
01/05/2015 1:16 pm
NonExistingName
Ah ok. I've seen some videos where they showcase a pen that didn't belong to the original tablet, so I was kinda confused.
I think I've settled for the Intuos Pen Small. I hope it's a good choice!
01/03/2015 3:12 pm
NonExistingName
Some people are mentioning you need programs to couple your tablet. I thought those came along with it. Apparently not. Someone mind explaining that as well?
01/03/2015 3:28 pm
Level 50 : Grandmaster Cowboy
Star
Some tablets are sold together with specific programs (like the Intuos Manga), although most of them are free # day trials.
01/03/2015 3:20 pm
Level 26 : Expert Artist
VertziForte
When I bought my tablet, it came with a CD to install it. I'm not sure but you can maybe plug it in and it'll install the basics. But with the CD, it adds several settings to adjusting the tablet.
01/03/2015 3:17 pm
TastyYoghurt
You don't need anything. You need a driver to install it, but those are free to download and always come with a tablet, too. You need a drawing program, but I imagine you already have one, even if it's just MSPaint. Sometimes you can buy a tablet in a bundle with one program or another, but those are just a bonus, not necessary.
01/03/2015 3:04 pm
Level 26 : Expert Artist
VertziForte
I've gotten the Intuos Pen & Touch Small tablet back in December and it's been great.
You can always change your tablet's sensitivity in the settings.

It's great for a beginner like me. Though I bought my tablet when it was on sale, you can go see if they're on sale at some websites like bestbuy and such.
Some things that used the tablet

^I tried to make an example by trying to go over your drawings from your blog. xD

Some free and pretty good art programs for tablets I see are Krita. There are probably some others but I'm not too familiar with free art programs that are as good as Krita. xD
01/03/2015 2:59 pm
Level 55 : Grandmaster Dragon
Skitto493
I use Waacom Intuos. It works with any art program, and even works with games

It has pressure sensitivity, and us quite a delight to use. The only problem is that it has a short cord that MUST be plugged into the computer.
01/03/2015 2:24 pm
Level 34 : Artisan Dragon
Find Them Creepers
Any tablet is a draw pad with the write app and a stylus
01/03/2015 2:43 pm
NonExistingName
haha, true, problem is, I don't have a tablet.
01/03/2015 2:07 pm
NonExistingName
Another thing (this one's the last, I promise), size does matter. My drawings aren't usually too big, but it still should give some room of maneuvering. I'm not using it for professional ends, mostly just for small, quick sketches and drawings. I also rarely color my drawings. That's probably irrelevant, but you never know!
01/03/2015 12:40 pm
Level 14 : Journeyman Dragon
hairisdare
I have the intous touch small with blutooth, it is cheap and easy to use. +it has great customer service!
01/03/2015 12:26 pm
TastyYoghurt
Well. there's this and this.
01/03/2015 2:15 pm
Level 50 : Grandmaster Cowboy
Star
yep, i use the first one. i would suggest just getting the tablet rather than paying for both the tablet /and/ the programs. it works pretty well for large canvases, as you were inquiring about it.

edit: the small pen and touch works fine, too. there's no need to worry about getting the medium-sized one.
01/03/2015 1:23 pm
NonExistingName
is that what you used for your (amazing, btw) art stuffs? If so, it looks promising!
01/03/2015 2:22 pm
TastyYoghurt
I use this one. I think it's pretty convenient even though the driver often stops working when using it with an old pc. It's a bit over your price range but a cheaper, smaller model would also work fine, I think. Some people use cheap bamboo tablets and they draw just fine. It's a matter of convenience: a more expensive model is easier and more pleasant to use, but it won't make your drawings any better, just like typing with your fingers is more convenient than typing with your toes, but it doesn't make you a better writer.

When I was buying one for myself, I spent a long time agonizing about small vs medium size. In the end I decided to pay extra $100 and I did not regret it, but I'd probably get used to a small one, too.

If you end up buying a wacom product, there's one thing you should know: there's no need to buy new nibs, you can make them yourself in a way that is described in this tutorial. Trust me, it will save you lots of time and possibly money.
01/03/2015 2:40 pm
NonExistingName
Appreciate greatly the advice! I intend to use to pad to draw easily on my computer. It'd save a lot of time tracing the drawings i may draw on paper onto the computer. Not only that, I can very easily edit paper sketches and paint them, which, as I mentioned before, is something I almost never do because I absolutely suck at it.

You're right, it won't make me draw better, but it will make drawing a lot easier.
01/03/2015 12:11 pm
NonExistingName
Probably best to add, I'll be using it for drawing mostly creatures, fantasy, landscapes and stuff. So a drawpad further leaned to the "artistic" side.

Sorry if I butchered some terms, I really have next-to-none experience with these things
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome