Better voting system.

RaidStone Network's Avatar RaidStone Network4/26/15 2:02 pm
1 emeralds 514 5
5/6/2015 8:31 am
Gab_Cab's Avatar Gab_Cab
The ability to vote for a server in order to make it more popular is great.

But there's a serious problem with this one here, when you have to type in your in-game username.

Too many people have an actual problem typing in their username correctly on the first try, and those get angry when they don't receive their reward on the server they vote for.

Three suggestions here :

1. Make a "confirm your username" field that, if it doesn't match the other, won't submit the vote
2. Have a list of predetermined usernames for registered PMC users, allowing them to select it from that list instead of risking a typo.
3. That one is more resource-intensive and might not even be considered : check if a player with the desired username is online on that server.

For option 3, I know, a few servers don't give rewards and most don't require the players to be online at all, but it would be a better security.

I'm even considering editing Votifier to return a list of known usernames (taken from offlinePlayer list) with a callback method. Server owners could even have an option that would only allow people who were already logged on their servers once to vote, virtually removing all possibility of a failed vote.

I know the vote will still be taken into account, even if your nickname is wrongly written, and that's okay. But as a server owner, I really REALLY don't want to address all requests of users who wrote their username wrong to give their reward afterwards.

Thank you for your time, and I hope this will be accepted !
RaidStone Network
Level 21 : Expert Network