Change Download Link for Submission?

Josephine Lithius's Avatar Josephine Lithius1/12/19 4:50 am history
2 emeralds 526 8
1/13/2019 4:05 pm
Acier's Avatar Acier
I have an odd question which I'm going to try really hard to word correctly…

Is there any way, short of re-uploading something, to change the download link for something, here at Planet Minecraft?

For example, I recently updated a skin that's been on my account for a while. The original name of the skin was "Mega Man - Roll Classic (Ver. A)." After I updated the skin with alternate downloads and extras, I decided to rename it to "Mega Man - Roll Classic & More! (Ver. S)." However, the link to the entry/download did not update itself to match the new title; the link was still "mega-man---roll-classic-ver-a," as opposed to "mega-man---roll-classic--more-ver-s."

What's baffling about this, to me, is that the uploads to the site are indexed by number. The skin I referenced is in the high-3,000,000 value, when I look at my submission management page. But, if you replace a title with an index number, the site returns a 404 error. However, if you upload something that has the exact same name as something else on the site, its index number gets tacked onto the end!

So, with all that being said… why do the download/view pages for the site use the first title they were uploaded to instead of a number, and why can't the URL be edited after-the-fact? It seems like such an odd, inconsistent choice for indexing…

Thanks, in advance!
Josephine Lithius
Level 36 : Artisan Bunny

Create an account or sign in to comment.

01/12/2019 5:21 pm
Level 42 : Master Architect
TNHo
Click edit submission
then click the url for the download, delete it, then replace it with a new download link.
01/13/2019 3:05 amhistory
Josephine Lithius
There doesn't appear to be such a thing. All I see is the following options:

No Label (top and bottom)
Save, Cancel, Edit

Skin
Publish Live, Title, Category, Gender, Skin (Edit, Download, Delete), Progress, Body / Main Description

Optional
Allow Comments, Additional Credit, Tags / Keywords.

Oh. And, the Update Logs section, of course.
01/13/2019 7:37 amhistory
TNHo
Gonna use my submission as an example

Click edit submission

See what I circled? Its the download link

Left click on it until it turns blue and then push backspace to delete it

Copy the new download link

Paste in the download link and click save.
I hope this helped you!! =)
01/13/2019 9:38 am
Josephine Lithius
I super-appreciate the effort, but there's two things:
1. Skins are hosted right here on the site, so there's no need for an external URL.
2. I was asking if there was a way to change the Planet Minecraft URL, not the external URL.

I'm super-sorry for the confusion and, again, I really appreciate you trying to help!
01/13/2019 1:25 pm
Level 52 : Grandmaster Professor
Acier
Are you trying to change the download URL or submission URL?

As TNHo said very well, PMC doesn't update the URL of a submission after it is renamed. You can however delete the submission and re-post it with a new name. The URL of the new submission would reflect the new name.

I'm not sure changing the download URL is possible without contacting Cyprezz​ directly
01/13/2019 3:59 pm
Josephine Lithius
I was trying to change the submission URL, yeah. I guess I couldn't think of the right word for it.

Anyway, thank you for confirming that such a thing is impossible! I'm disappointed, but I appreciate that you both gave me the info I was looking for!
01/13/2019 9:53 am
TNHo
Oh now there is no way to change the Planet Minecraft URL of a submission. The name of your submission changes not URL, probably the way Planet Minecraft stores all of the user created submissions.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome