CISPA - Fight for your Internet Privacy Rights!

stiggybird's Avatar stiggybird4/20/13 7:06 pm
1 emeralds 2.6k 120
11/15/2013 3:14 am
Azie's Avatar Azie
FIGHT FOR YOUR INTERNET PRIVACY!!!!

THE CISPA BLACKOUT -- A Message from Your Anon News:

On Monday, April 22, we are asking you to dedicate at least a portion of your day to help us fight CISPA.

What is CISPA, you may ask...

CISPA, or the Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act, is a law that would allow the government to extract your private information from the internet without a warrant. It's the online equivalent of allowing a police officer to enter your home and start rummaging through your personal files without the permission of a court. The politicians who introduced this law pretend it will protect you but what it really does is circumvent your Fourth Amendment rights. CISPA also prevents you from suing companies when they illegally use your information.

Luckily there are numerous privacy advocates out there already fighting against CISPA such as the Internet Defense League, Fight for the Future, and the Electronic Frontier Foundation. Now it's time for us to do our part.

Anonymous has asked numerous companies to participate in an internet blackout on Monday, April 22. But, regardless of what these companies choose to do, individuals like ourselves can still help spread awareness of this threat. Below is a link to an image that promotes the hashtag #StopCISPA on Twitter. Make it your profile image all day Monday. Leave it up as long as you want.

#StopCISPA Profile Picture: http://i.imgur.com/Vr8XQQp.png

It may not be as effective or possible for you to stop talking all day, so we've provided some information below so that you can help get the word out instead:

If CISPA becomes law, the government can spy on you without a warrant: https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2013/02/c ... s-loophole #StopCISPA

If CISPA becomes law, when the gov't downloads your private information, you'll never even know: http://sunlightfoundation.com/blog/2012 ... nsparency/ #StopCISPA

If CISPA becomes law, it makes it so companies can’t be sued when they do illegal things with your data: https://www.eff.org/cybersecurity-bill-faq#company #StopCISPA

If CISPA becomes law, it makes every privacy policy on the web useless and violates the 4th amendment. http://www.aclu.org/blog/national-secur ... ress-still #StopCISPA

Sign this petition to show the US Govenrment that violating our privacy isn't an option!
http://cispaisback.org/

Remember, there are more of us than there are of them. If we stick together we can stop CISPA once and for all.

- Your Anon News

PMC should participate in the CISPA Site blackout!
It would have a HUGE effect on the Internetz!
Come on guys, show your support for internet privacy rights!
stiggybird
Level 40 : Master Pixel Puncher

Create an account or sign in to comment.

11/15/2013 3:14 am
Level 58 : Grandmaster Grump
Azie
Locked for necro-posting.
04/30/2013 8:52 pm
Level 18 : Journeyman Taco
Jacobman208
Fight the Man!
04/30/2013 8:51 pm
Level 25 : Expert Toast
xifer8121
if this shit gets passed im done with internet
04/30/2013 8:48 pm
Level 10 : Journeyman Blacksmith
SkyTechKid
Yay.

Bad news. Go to 4:25 of this video.

[yt]-QaZs2qsR7k[/yt]
04/27/2013 10:51 am
Level 5 : Apprentice Pig
ROPROPE
ROPROPE is against CISPA!
04/27/2013 10:25 am
Level 39 : Artisan Scribe
Jetra
^ that hurt my brain...but thanks for the layman's terms, gj.
04/27/2013 10:23 am
Level 66 : High Grandmaster uwu
Ash
aaaaannd everything I've said as flown over everyone's head. Man, if I didn't rhyme just then, I'd be kinda annoyed.
I'm not being harsh when I say this; you guys haven't done any "legal" research, I was hoping maybe some of you did, considering it is a legal issue and all.

I know none of you are even going to listen to me, claiming I'm just some hippy who wants to shut down the internet, but CISPA hasn't changed a single thing.

The only reason you know about it was because it was brought to your attention. You didn't care for it before it was made out as a "highly pressing issue" (which it's not and it's gone way overboard already on here)

Look, it's going to be the last time I say this: CISPA has not introduced anything new to law. Let me make a case for why everyone here is just jumping into something they really don't understand.

A) The stated aim of the bill is to help the U.S government investigate cyber threats and ensure the security of networks against cyberattacks

First bit of news for you. No, it's not being created so that "dem darn companies can steal mi credit card info (which, by the way is illegal (search Fraud))", it's an amendment to the National Security Act, which previously didn't incorporate Cybercrime.

Next is this big doozy: The Director of National Intelligence has to be involved when it comes to anything to do with this Act. So no, you're not going to get beaten to a pulp by the government for downloading a few songs illegally. For things to be handled within this act, there has to be a lot of formalities, a lot of paperwork, and a whole lot of "gosh darn investigatin". The government, honestly no matter how much they say they care, won't care about you unless you're a serious threat to national security.

Thirdly, it includes the right to sue the federal government if they don't handle the given information extremely cautiously; cautiously pertaining to privacy and civil liberties protections.
Now, THIS will come as a big shock to you: It's actually protecting you. Another main reason for this bill is to be able to take action if there's reasonable grounds for exploitation of a child [let's not go into details here] or imminent bodily harm to a person. It's not there to steal yo' monies, or steal yo work. I'm actually quite concerned most of you are worried about your credit card details when you may not be old enough for one yet

B) You're worried that your information will get sent to the government. Ok. So, I don't need to list the whole fraud thing again, but just keep that in mind.
Alot of people have been likening it to SOPA, [stop online piracy act]. This is just simply not true; neither are relatable in the slightest, except that it's for "the internet". SOPA was something different, though I still think it was silly of everyone to react the way they did. CISPA is NOT in anyway introducing anything in the likes of SOPA.
But what about copyright? Surely that's an issue [especially for the 5fingerdiscount kids on here ] Intellectual property theft was original in the CISPA draft, but later taken out, so they can't "catch ya" for stealing someone's work.

C) Microsoft, Facebook, IMB, Apple are all in favor of CISPA. Does that change your view now?

I'm tired of everyone saying that CISPA is a bad thing, that it'll ruin the internet. You know what? 1 month and no one will be talking about it, it's just something that people are getting caught up in since they think it violates their rights.

Guys, stop worrying! You should all actually be happy CISPA is the way it is, unless you're some crime-planning, data abusing maniac who enjoys minecraft, then by all means, protest about it
04/27/2013 10:28 am
Level 1 : New Explorer
animeanimie
But people have PRIVACY. They are INVOLATING it. They actually DO go through your private info. Your real name. Your passwords. Your info.. your pics (Never store pics on ya comp kids) Its a total inviolation of privacy. I has proofs ^-^ but Im lazy ^n^ I aint gonna post it. And I aint hatin' just.. ima go.. play some mc. and chill. Ima chillax bro. So dont get high on my highni.

-Anime
04/27/2013 10:43 am
Ash
Yes, people still have privacy, anything conducted under the CISPA act still pertains to privacy rights. Noo, they can't go through your personal information, not unless you have piqued the interest of your ISP for going onto certain websites [such as ones known for bomb making equipment] and even then it takes a lot of evidence for them to finally be able to go through your computer. Look at it this way: if you're not going to break the law, everything's fine. There's no violation, the government aren't going to care. If you ARE breaking the law, such as manufacturing something that could cause a lot of harm and getting parts from the internet, then this applies to you. It's a protection Act, not a "We can do whatever the hay we want" act
04/27/2013 3:07 pm
Level 39 : Artisan Creeper
11volt11
But hold on now; what does it take for the government to have "good" evidence? I'd be in favor of the government treating the internet as if it was your property, where they have to have a warrant to search it, but from what I gather here, this bill seems capricious, since there is no standard for the reasons for being searched.
04/27/2013 10:12 am
Level 1 : New Explorer
animeanimie
Oh my god! This is because of the american goverments STUPID law inforcement. Ill commit suicide if they remove dubstep >.<
04/27/2013 10:01 am
Level 24 : Expert Taco
Pease_Xpress
mcc83I just saw this... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22213379" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wow, that is going to be nice.
Now my computer will start telling me that someone is trying to get in to my computer.
04/27/2013 9:54 am
Level 2 : Apprentice Explorer
Book_Ender
Lol bitches im in England so i dont give a creeper
04/27/2013 9:55 am
SkyTechKid
It affects everyone.

Every country in the United Nations will be affected.
04/27/2013 9:52 am
Level 41 : Master Robot
Monkeyy
^
04/27/2013 9:47 am
SkyTechKid
This is why I said to everyone to not vote for Obama....

Now you know...
04/27/2013 10:02 am
Level 41 : Master Geek
Profoak0117
True that brotha
04/27/2013 9:57 am
Level 47 : Master Button Pusher
Leeberator
Actually, Obama was threatening to veto it.

If one good thing comes out of his presidency, it would be this veto.
04/27/2013 8:08 pm
SkyTechKid
He's only vetoing it because he wants some revisions. (What good could come from that?)

And it still congress can still override his veto.
04/27/2013 9:33 am
Level 42 : Master Pixel Painter
telamonianajax
who cares? maybye its time those laws are changed. and "years" ago, the internet wasn't so big or important. basically, the UN wants the whole world to become a police state because they want dictatorships and no patriotism. say no to CISPA!
04/27/2013 8:02 am
Level 21 : Expert Dragonborn
EnragedCreeper
Why would we want private information to be extracted from us... I think the American Government are playing us for fools.
04/27/2013 7:57 am
Level 30 : Artisan Geek
Chuk40076
Will this effect Australians?
04/27/2013 7:55 am
Level 30 : Artisan Geek
Chuk40076
Sopa and Pipa, now this?
Ugh...
04/24/2013 9:15 pm
Level 29 : Expert Spelunker
cyanbot222
It got passed
04/22/2013 3:28 pm
Level 5 : Apprentice Architect
Yakuri
Supported.
04/22/2013 3:23 pm
Level 39 : Artisan Creeper
11volt11
It's really good to know that people around the world hate the United States government as much as I do -- and I live in America!
04/22/2013 2:56 pm
Level 30 : Artisan Ninja
360Gamer 072
Well today is the day...
04/21/2013 5:07 am
Level 4 : Apprentice Narwhal
Nfell2009
04/21/2013 5:06 am
Level 2 : Apprentice Explorer
JorrInsanity
Having 2 e-mails finally pays off! Signed twice!
04/21/2013 4:58 am
Level 2 : Apprentice Miner
Pwnkight
04/21/2013 4:19 am
Ash
stiggybirdPartially true (not arguing with you)
CISPA will allow technology companies ability to share too much private information about their customers, with the customers being able to do almost nothing about it.
Also, SOPA was about Copyright Infringement and Pirating, nothing like CISPA.

SOPA v CISPA = SOPA eventuated into nothing, and so will CISPA. not that they're alike, but that they're going to end up in the same way.
Technology companies (phone providers, internet providers, heck even some others) already have the ability to view your information and share with the government your information (the data that is transmitted through them that you access) for ANY reason, but mainly if it goes against the "homeland security" crap stated above. This doesn't mean they will, it just means they have the ability. It's almost always in the Terms and Conditions when you sign up to use their services that the data can be monitored.
It's already a reality that they can do this, CISPA is practically changing nothing.

If people are so bloody concerned about it, they should be fighting the already passed legislation, instead of some crummy bill that everyone knows will have no effect nor will come to pass.
04/21/2013 4:00 am
Level 40 : Master Pixel Puncher
stiggybird
Snowylips
stiggybirdIf CISPA becomes law, it makes it so companies can’t be sued when they do illegal things with your data: https://www.eff.org/cybersecurity-bill-faq#company #StopCISPA

ok. Now I've truly heard everything.
Let's have a look at what you've just stated, and why that you really shouldn't believe everything you read on the internet (heck even this post if you're so "pro-CISPA")

If CISPA becomes law, it makes it so companies can’t be sued when they do illegal things with your data

Main part of that statement: Can't be sued ; illegal things
This part just makes me want to cringe. While I understand that you may be upset that CISPA has popped back up this February, companies don't have the rights to use your information "illegally".

If you're going to spread things over the internet, at least word them properly so they reflect at least partially, what is going on.

If at ALL (and I really don't care for CISPA, it's just SOPA all over again) they would introduce something like this, it wouldn't be that "companies can't be sued for doing something illegal" it would be that "those things are no longer seen as illegal". I'm not sure if you've actually read the page you've linked to, as your information can only be used if there's national security threats that include

(i) threats to the United States, its people, property, or interests;

(ii) the development, proliferation, or use of weapons of mass destruction; or

(iii) any other matter bearing on United States national or homeland security.

(stated directly from your link, btw)

Let's note, that your information can ALREADY be used if there's reasonable grounds that you may be involved in any of these.

This is just ONE part of the statement you made. Before you go getting all hoity toity over CISPA, understanding that most of the things that this "bill" is introducing are already in effect under different legislation.

CISPA is going to be SOPA all over again, causing panic and worry over something that will eventually turned out to be nothing (honestly how many of you were thinking about SOPA before this thread was made)

History repeats itself, unless someone learns from their mistakes. Obviously they haven't

Partially true (not arguing with you)
CISPA will allow technology companies ability to share too much private information about their customers, with the customers being able to do almost nothing about it.
Also, SOPA was about Copyright Infringement and Pirating, nothing like CISPA.
04/21/2013 3:29 am
Level 20 : Expert Artist
KilledBy_Alex
Youtube video subject!!
04/21/2013 3:08 am
Pwnkight
Snowylips
stiggybirdIf CISPA becomes law, it makes it so companies can’t be sued when they do illegal things with your data: https://www.eff.org/cybersecurity-bill-faq#company #StopCISPA

Let's have a look at what you've just stated, and why that you really shouldn't believe everything you read on the internet (heck even this post if you're so "pro-CISPA")

If CISPA becomes law, it makes it so companies can’t be sued when they do illegal things with your data

This part just makes me want to cringe. While I understand that you may be upset that CISPA has popped back up this February, companies don't have the rights to use your information "illegally".

If you're going to spread things over the internet, at least word them properly so they reflect at least partially, what is going on.

If at ALL (and I really don't care for CISPA, it's just SOPA all over again) they would introduce something like this, it wouldn't be that "companies can't be sued for doing something illegal" it would be that "those things are no longer seen as illegal". I'm not sure if you've actually read the page you've linked to, as your information can only be used if there's national security threats that include

Let's note, that your information can ALREADY be used if there's reasonable grounds that you may be involved in any of these.

This is just ONE part of the statement you made. Before you go getting all hoity toity over CISPA, understanding that most of the things that this "bill" is introducing are already in effect under different legislation.

CISPA is going to be SOPA all over again, causing panic and worry over something that will eventually turned out to be nothing (honestly how many of you were thinking about SOPA before this thread was made)

History repeats itself, unless someone learns from their mistakes. Obviously they haven't

the us government is very stupid i should know i live there
04/21/2013 3:03 am
Ash

04/21/2013 2:48 am
Ash

Are you trying to out "back-sass" me?
04/21/2013 2:52 am
Level 68 : High Grandmaster Nether Knight
Vrezh
04/21/2013 2:54 am
Level 42 : Master uwu
mrjrbacon
Well this just got interesting...
04/21/2013 2:41 am
Level 45 : Master Lad
HatsyaSouji
[youtube]www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRZqDPaLBmI[/youtube]

FIGHT FOR ONLINE FREEDOM! DOWN WITH CISPA!
04/21/2013 2:29 am
Pwnkight
time to kill the people who thought this was a good idea
04/21/2013 2:10 am
Ash
04/21/2013 3:36 am
Level 8 : Apprentice Architect
bluefrostt
Ow
04/21/2013 2:33 am
Level 46 : Master Blockhead
SilverKytten
I second..
04/21/2013 1:34 am
Level 22 : Expert Crafter
Neptonic
Let's lock n' load people! The interwebz are in danger! Raise your Picks, crowbars, mouses, gravity hammers, LOLcatz, hats, glasses, and other things, and strike against this bill!

WHO'S WITH ME?
04/21/2013 2:06 am
Level 38 : Artisan Engineer
Lucargia
ME!
04/20/2013 11:56 pm
Level 29 : Expert Scribe
_DioM_
Tumblr'd! I shall post the link, in case someone wishes to reblog.

http://kiri-mc.tumblr.com/post/48495277572/hey-remember-sopa-you-know-that-misplaced#disqus_thread
04/20/2013 11:10 pm
Level 29 : Expert Spelunker
cyanbot222
I already have my katana ready
04/20/2013 10:50 pm
Level 5 : Apprentice Artist
WittleSugarCookie
Holy Shit we better do something, EVERYONE we must beat them *grabs baseball bat*
04/20/2013 10:50 pm
Level 26 : Expert Princess
Randomness3333
sed, that is genius.
04/20/2013 10:39 pm
Level 57 : Grandmaster Artist
ChrisL
If anyone wants to use it, I made a sig banner:
[url=https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2013/02/cispa-government-access-loophole][img]http://i.imgur.com/i8doCwM.png[/img][/url][url=https://action.eff.org/o/9042/p/dia/action/public/?action_KEY=9048][img]http://i.imgur.com/drU2qDB.png[/img][/url][url=http://www.planetminecraft.com/forums/cispa-fight-for-your-internet-privacy-rights-t245383.html][img]http://i.imgur.com/hsTal0Z.png[/img][/url]
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome