home Forumsplay_arrow PMC play_arrow Discussion

Combat Might be changing in 1.14...

6 emeralds17 replies178 views
created 06/26/2019 2:47 pm by NickTheMobs history
last reply 06/30/2019 9:00 pm
Posted by avatar
NickTheMobs
Level 27 : Expert Pixel Painter

comment Login or register to post a reply.

17 replies

06/30/2019 9:00 pm
Level 5 : Apprentice Miner
Vrillon14
This is meant for 1.15 I think, not 1.14.4
06/29/2019 3:58 pm
Level 14 : Journeyman Ninja
AwesomeNinja886
1.14 is already out. 1.15 is the next update. Plus Smithing and Fletching tables, both of which are related to combat (the former to tools and swords, and the latter to bows/crossbows). Not only that, but 1.15 is confirmed not to be a cave update. I think we can safely assume that 1.15 will be a Combat Update 2.0.
06/30/2019 6:01 pm
Level 7 : Apprentice Miner
Rogual
I agree. A combat update would be awesome. :D
06/30/2019 8:13 pmhistory
AwesomeNinja886
We already know that this is going to be announced at MineCon Live 2019. And since every MineCon since 2017 they have announced a brand-new weapon (first the trident, then the crossbow)...

You see a deleted comment by me b/c I replied to the wrong comment Apparently you can't see the deleted comment
06/28/2019 12:13 pmhistory
Rogual
Has anyone played the new combat snapshot!
06/29/2019 3:58 pm
AwesomeNinja886
I can't because it isn't compatible with OptiFine, which I need to even be able to play for the most part.
06/30/2019 6:00 pm
Rogual
Rally I didn,t know that.
06/30/2019 8:58 pm
AwesomeNinja886
Yeah, the lag on a Windows 7 Home Premium potato is extreme. OptiFine helps a lot. I mean a lot.
06/30/2019 9:00 pm
AwesomeNinja886
But they have to update the mod for each specific version of the game. Even the combat test. And because the Combat Test is technically a snapshot, it is unlikely that the OptiFine devs will ever update it to that version. I just have to wait until 1.15, I guess...
06/27/2019 1:48 am
Level 10 : Journeyman Miner
ScotsMiser
TL:DR version at bottom.

About the only good thing that can be said about this is that it is being presented as a trail balloon offered for comment, rather than a nother change inflicted without thought.

Given that "Too hard to understand for new players" is listed as a reason for the changes, adding variable weapon reach and restricting certain attack types to certain circumstances ["At 200% you can perform special attacks (crits, sweeping, knockback) and these attacks have longer reach" & "Critical attacks (jump attacks) bypass shields"] makes no sense.

Removing the ability to make less than full strength attacks (before the weapon fully recharges) does simplify the system, BUT at the cost of removing much of the tactical basis for combat since there would seem to be no reason to do anything other than hold down the attack key.
(Also, it has already been pointed out in the comments that this has deleterious effects on game play in non-combat situations as well.)

Just as it needs to be recognised that how much one can alter the game in pursuit of 'accessibility' has limits [Minecraft: Braille edition, anyone?] so too should it be recognized that alternatives may not be capable of providing the same experience as the original interface [mouse PLUS keyboard]. (The solution to this discrepancy is NOT to alter the winning original…)

"We want to find a system that is flexible and works well across all input devices." is unlikely to be achievable other than by degrading the play experience on better interface[s] until the lowest common denominator is found. [Hardly a desirable approach.]

Adding weapon reach (which would complicate the combat system) is [one of the few] potentially useful ideas in this trial as it would allow for a wider range of weapons, each 'best' under differing circumstances.

Leaving a low chance of a sweep attack unchanged would avoid removing what is currently one of the few reasons not to always use a sword (the potential downside from 'sweeping' a zombie pigman). If parity between platforms is a 'must have', adding this feature to the deficient platforms would be a much better choice.

What the "regenerating items" are is unclear (and the wiki lists no entries with this term).
Either this is something new, which ought to have been explained; or it references entities with regeration effects, in which case the changes represent a nerf to this effect. [Explicitly nerfing regeneration would be a simpler means of achieving this if that is what is intended, the advisability of doing so is rather more in question…]

TL:DR version
Dumping everything in this except the variable weapon reach would be the best option.
If some of the other bits are needed for special circumstances (handicapped accessibility or touchscreen interfaces), making those available as an official mod thaht could be easily installed would allow users who want/need these things to benefit without damaging the play experience of the majority of users.
06/26/2019 3:40 pm
Level 69 : High Grandmaster Architect
StingrayProductions
Oh!
06/26/2019 3:57 pm
NickTheMobs
So far I love it. When fighting skeletons with a shield, it's so much easier to hit them, crouch to block with your shield (in off hand) then hit it again.

My complaints are:

Holding to click is too OP
With sweeping edge 3 you don't even have to look at mobs/players, you just need to be within you're weapons attack reach and you can hit someone/something when not facing it.
06/28/2019 12:15 pm
Rogual
I agree hold click is as you said way to op. :(
06/26/2019 2:55 pm
Level 12 : Journeyman Birb
leafbirb
wdym oh no? its for the better
06/26/2019 2:58 pm
NickTheMobs
That was before I watched the video, and of course some people will really dislike it, so it could end up being another splitting factor like how people stay on 1.8. But personally I like this new update!
06/26/2019 3:00 pm
Level 12 : Journeyman Birb
leafbirb
i think its WAY better than the 1.9 combat system and WAY WAY better than the pre 1.9 combat system

THIS is what minecraft combat SHOULD be
06/26/2019 3:40 pm
NickTheMobs
I have now played the snapshot. I love it! It's both a bit challenging and skill based, but at the same time super easy to use.
But the hold to attack is very overpowered. I killed an iron golem in creative in less than 5 seconds while holding to attack with a diamond sword...

Planet Minecraft

Browse

Site

© 2010 - 2019
planetminecraft.com

Welcome