Could downloading a skin be theft?

Leonix's Avatar Leonix1/3/21 1:06 pm
1/15/2021 8:13 am
Treee_'s Avatar Treee_
Hey,

I have the following Question:

Could downloading and using a skin where the creator of it stated that it should not be used for any other server be considered theft if you download it?

It´s just a random question and I´m not that informed when it comes to copyright etc. If it matters, I live in Germany.
Leonix
Level 1 : New Explorer

Create an account or sign in to comment.

01/15/2021 7:54 am
Level 21 : Expert Procrastinator
Treee_
I mean if you didn’t wan’t anyone to use it why would you upload it (yes this is much shorter than your other answers)
01/14/2021 8:32 pm
Level 34 : Artisan Architect
Theotmt
no, I don't think so, but do watch out of some people, they may steal it for their own benefits, like what Kaos_Kitten said, they may put it in in their roleplays without permission
01/07/2021 9:15 pm
Level 5 : Apprentice Pig
IAmGoneGoodbye5
If you are using it for personal purposes than no. Private skins are not possible anymore due to "certain sites" caching every skin a person wears because Mojang's public API and you can not private your profile like you can on Bedrock. Bedrock is the only way to keep your skin private.

This also depends on the way the skin was made / purchased / obtained. If you just download it as long as it is nor commercial (against mojangs EULA anyways), stealing said skin (person who made it owns it or if commissioned the person who bought the skin owns it) you should ask. Again, sites make it hard to track down the original creator or owner of the skin and is important to sign your skin on the template or upload your work first so people know where it comes from.
01/07/2021 8:15 pm
Level 19 : Journeyman Modder
guestds
if the creator doesnt want others using it and hasnt uploaded it publicly and it requires a player skin downloader to get their skin (including downloading from someone who used one), it would morally fall under stealing unless the creator says it isnt for that specific skin

legally, im not sure, but morality comes first

if you arent sure, its probably best to ask the creator first
01/07/2021 9:08 pm
Level 5 : Apprentice Explorer
MythicalMew
Nobody who makes a skin owns legal copyright to it, and it'd be practically impossible to actually get that copyright.
01/15/2021 7:26 am
Level 56 : Grandmaster Procrastinator
Kaos_Kitten
Any artistic creation is the creators intellectual property, in the form of an outfit or original character design. A lot of countries have this legal protection without the person having to claim copyright actually.

If someone makes art, whether a skin or not, if you break the limits of what they say you can do you're generally just not a very nice person. Legally if you then resell or use their design as your own, that is theft and if they're making money for it they can possibly take legal action.

The likeliness of someone doing this is slim, but honestly its not a debate when it comes to someones design, if they ask you not to use it without permission, you respect that.
01/07/2021 6:30 pm
Level 56 : Grandmaster Procrastinator
Kaos_Kitten
I think the only issue with theft is if you use a skin for roleplay, and its not an existing character. Using a youtuber skin to privately roleplay a youtuber is fine, but if you take a random skin and add a character and name onto it then it can cause issues.

I guess the general rules is to just make sure that its not an OC or persona, if you publicly wear someone else's character and project your own story onto that, that would be stealing a design.

as long as you're respectful with their wishes, thats the important thing, and if you're unsure you can always ask the creator.

I know a lot of LOTC skins are deliberately not asked to be downloaded for roleplay reasons, so its always good to check with the owner of the skin first!
01/07/2021 6:18 pm
Level 4 : Apprentice Architect
realEletzarr
I don’t think so, as I have had many downloads of skins I’ve posted on my Skindex account, and I’ve never considered it theft. Like Hardcrafter said below, some people (like me) consider it an honor to have the skins we put work into be downloaded and other people use them.

However, others may think that you can’t download without permission, or that you can use their skins as long as you give credit. If you use a skin, it’s not really an issue unless the creator makes it an issue. Personally, I don’t really care as long as the people that downloaded my skins claim that they are the creator. Then, that gets different.

Just respect whatever the creator wants, I guess :)
01/06/2021 7:04 pm
Level 43 : Master Wolf
Hardcrafter
That's a rather interesting question. If a skinner is uploading their work to a site which is open to the public for anyone to see and potentially download I don't see it as an issue.

If anything it's usually an honour for the skinner if they see people using their skins.

It's only really a case of "theft" when you claim that you are the original creator or owner of the skin. ie If you download a skin and upload it to another site without any mention of the original creator it's definitely theft.

Downloading and using a skin however is definitely not theft.
01/07/2021 6:53 pm
Level 48 : Master Answer
Makaneek
I agree. It's only theft if you showcase or distribute somebody else's skin without permission, and/or while claiming to be the original creator. It's within the creator's rights to prevent theft, but it''s not within their rights to proudly show off the skin they made and not allow anyone to use it.
01/06/2021 6:56 pm
Level 8 : Apprentice Artist
CASS Architecture Lab
I agree with the other two replies here. It wouldn't be considered illegal that I know of but it is good to respect the creator's requests. There are a lot of issues in the art community where art is reposted/taken without credit when the artists specifically said not to. But anyway, technically no, it wouldn't be considered "real theft".
01/03/2021 2:32 pm
Level 43 : Master Lemon
char-png
it wouldnt be illegal but it would technically be theft if you use it on another server, not exactly theft but it would be kinda mean
01/03/2021 1:30 pm
Level 31 : Artisan Engineer
garlicbreathinator
"should not" is not specific enough to be considered a license. The absolute minimum that could maybe hold the tiniest amount of legal merit would be more like "This skin is for use on the <example.com> server. You do not have permission to use it on any other server."

That said, good Minecraft skins are not that hard to find and I would respect the creator's wishes.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome