Inappropriate Ads

mrjrbacon's Avatar mrjrbacon4/4/13 1:31 am
1 emeralds 429 6
4/4/2013 5:30 am
Doomslicer's Avatar Doomslicer
Knowing Planet Minecraft is popular with young kids so why is there so many inappropriate ads on the site? Now I know Planet Minecraft chooses to put these ads on the website but is there anyway of blocking them from the site? Maybe a report button for the ads? I'm just curious to know. Tell me what you think about the problem and it would be super greatly appreciated. By the way I know ads are relevant of your search history and I don't go on any inappropriate websites.
mrjrbacon
Level 42 : Master uwu

Create an account or sign in to comment.

04/04/2013 5:30 am
Level 43 : Master Herobrine
Doomslicer
It's so annoying. Due to my non-American location, I get ads for online games that don't look appropriate, plus stuff I probably shouldn't mention. I do use AdBlock+, but have had some problems with it lately. I already don't let my siblings on the site due to the high amount of cussing, the ads only confirm my decision. It's also annoying with AdFly, which promises to be family-friendly, but in this location puts some very not-family-friendly stuff up.
04/04/2013 4:19 am
Level 57 : Grandmaster Programmer
kippykip
I use adblock too... also here's a Inappropriate ad...
[yt]erh2ngRZxs0[/yt]
04/04/2013 2:13 am
Level 68 : High Grandmaster Nether Knight
Vrezh
just to reassure ... the process these ads use is not as scary as it sounds

the average ad does not come and scour your browser history, it just puts a set of links on the page and checks if you have visited any of the links in that list

here is an example of the js they would use to do this
<pre>function hasLinkBeenVisited(url) {
var link = document.createElement('a');
link.href = url;
document.body.appendChild(link);
if (link.currentStyle) {
var color = link.currentStyle.color;
if (color == '#ff0000')
return true;
return false;
} else {
link.setAttribute("href",url);
var computed_style = document.defaultView.getComputedStyle( link, null );
if (computed_style) {
if (computed_style.color == 'rgb(255, 0, 0)')
return true;
}
return false;
}
}</pre>

to make it short, they say 'how does the link display in this person's browser? have they visited the page before? if they have, go ahead!'

the above code is very primitive (it assumes all clicked links display red) but it gives you an idea of the process they are doing. hopefully that will enlighten anyone worrying about evil hackers living in your web browser
04/04/2013 1:39 am
Level 51 : Grandmaster Artist
Ennen
The ads that you see on Planet Minecraft are ones that the ad sources think are most relevant to your interests by searching through your browser and cache history. For example, if you get a lot of game related ads, it's because you've been on a lot of game and entertainment subjected websites. Or...if you're seeing these 'inappropriate' ads, it's because the sites you've been visiting recently may have been 'inappropriate' in the same way.
04/04/2013 1:37 am
Level 58 : Grandmaster Grump
Azie
A lot of the ad content has to do with prior search history, so...

Also, as I understand it, some of our ad providers have been letting some of them slip through. Cyprezz, Paril, and Zaralith know about this issue. Just use AdBlock.

Also, for anyone else who replies to this thread, please refrain from posting screenshots of said ads.
04/04/2013 1:44 am
Level 42 : Master uwu
mrjrbacon
I don't think "Compare Forklift Price Quotes And Save!" has anything to do with my search history lol. Just seen that on the site earlier this morning.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome