Issue with the Popular Reel

Torm's Avatar Torm9/23/14 3:47 pm
1 emeralds 273 6
9/23/2014 4:57 pm
CalPal_'s Avatar CalPal_
Hello,
I have recently noticed a flaw with the algorithm that determines which submissions reach the popular reel that presents an unfair advantage to certain users. In the blogs section at least, it is possible for an individual to favourite their own submissions and as a result said submissions reach the popular reel immediately. One user benefiting from this 'glitch' has had three separate submissions on the popular reel simultaneously, none of which had more than one diamond (their own), somewhat defeating the purpose of a 'popular' submission and denying others' submissions slots. I'm not sure if the site staff are aware of this or not, but just a notification in case this has slipped under the radar. Thanks.
Torm
Retired Moderator
Level 34 : Artisan Scribe

Create an account or sign in to comment.

09/23/2014 4:54 pm
Level 38 : Artisan Creeper Hugger
Tamacraft123
Same thing here, I favorited my project (it had only 2 diamonds in 30 minutes) and there it was, a pop reel. I recken it is unfair, really good blogs should be up on the pop reel (I suck at blogs).

Hope a site mod sees this topic
09/23/2014 4:57 pm
Level 38 : Artisan Cake
CalPal_
Well, here's the thing.
There are VERY few very good blogs. And yeah, they do get on the pop reel.
But at any given time, something with 2 diamonds could be one of the most popular posts in the section at a given time because the section is practically dead. Hence, things with near nothing make it to the front page.
09/23/2014 4:56 pm
Level 42 : Master Nether Knight
10Andrew
You are complaining about your own blog getting on pop reel... WELL now I've seen everything!
09/23/2014 4:46 pm
Level 66 : High Grandmaster Terraformer
Reer123
Yeah I noticed some what might be called, bad submissions getting on the pop reel lately, I always thought that pop reel was determined by Diamonds, guess not.
09/23/2014 4:52 pm
Level 58 : Grandmaster Grump
Azie
The pop reel isn't determined solely by diamonds. It also has much to do with views, comments, and favorites. Removing this "problem" would likely mean removing the ability to favorite your own submissions, which doesn't seem like a real solution to me since this function can be used to keep track of certain submissions on your profile if you had a lot and wanted quick access to specific submissions.

"Bad" submissions get put on the pop reel all the time because "popular" doesn't necessarily mean "good". What reaches the pop reel, good or bad, is entirely the doing of the community as a whole for promoting that submission to a position of popularity.
09/23/2014 4:40 pm
Level 42 : Master Nether Knight
10Andrew
I've never noticed that. Good eye! Hopefully the someone with a bit of power could look into it. If not then maybe you could fight fire with fire?

I'm not suggesting it would be the most moral thing to do though...
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome