Limiting Download Data

Lucy_the_Cow's Avatar Lucy_the_Cow7/25/15 8:56 pm
7/26/2015 5:06 pm
TehDansorz's Avatar TehDansorz
Hey guys!

Recently, my family has moved houses, and in the process I have gone from having a phone line to now being without one. Because of this, Mum has decided to get wireless broadband, but this new broadband has put many restrictions on us - especially the limited data.

Anywho, I'm looking for some software that will allow me to set a maximum data "allowance" on my PC. Since we only get around 3GB per month, Mum said if I can find a software that will cut off my internet usage on my laptop I can have a GB of data. I have been doing a fairly large amount of searching for such software, but most of it requires to be installed on the modum - and since our wifi is only wireless we don't have a huge wireless broadband (think of it as phone wifi, in a way).

TL;DR:
I'm looking for software that will allow me to set a data limit on my PC, say, 1GB per month, and once I overgo that limit the internet doesn't work.

Thanks in advance! <3
Lucy_the_Cow
Level 38 : Artisan Ladybug

Create an account or sign in to comment.

07/26/2015 5:06 pm
Level 28 : Expert Nerd
TehDansorz
I feel bad for you with 1GB per month, I've used 70GB in one week on my mobile connection alone.
Anyways, Windows 8.1 has the Metered Connection functionality, so you might want to use that. If you don't have 8.1, use this fine application right here.
07/26/2015 5:02 pm
Level 43 : Master Creeper
Dr_Steve
I had the same issue, however, it was that I wanted to limit the download *speed* as my brother sometimes get kinda mad when he's playing CoD and I'm downloading something, especially big files like EXE's and ISO's

and even wien I am on PMC, and some other websites! I once thought that PMC was slow because of my network, but it was just that specific website, so I assume it isn't a network issue on my site
07/26/2015 8:08 am
Level 13 : Journeyman Network
MiDShadow
07/25/2015 11:42 pm
Level 49 : Master Modder
minecraftjames222
Just remember, playing games will increase your download total.
07/25/2015 10:44 pm
Level 1 : New Architect
FalseKing
Orly?
Lucy_the_Cow
Thankfully I have unlimited internet on my school tablet, just it blocks everything good. :L

There should be a way onto Youtube with that, just go through Yahoo Screen. That, or just watch videos on Yahoo Screen, That's how I used to do it, anyways.
07/25/2015 10:39 pm
Lucy_the_Cow
Thanks for the help guys.
Yeah, Mum's being pretty tight with the internet - but ehh. x'D

Thankfully I have unlimited internet on my school tablet, just it blocks everything good. :L
07/25/2015 10:57 pm
Level 47 : Master Button Pusher
Leeberator
Use a VPN app to get past their filter. It might run slower but you'll have no restrictions.

If the school tablet has unlimited data, then just make it a hostspot and use it as an access point for your laptop.
07/25/2015 10:59 pm
Lucy_the_Cow
It's not technically unlimited, but for some reason when I go over the quota limit the data is faster.. x'D
07/25/2015 11:05 pm
Leeberator
Use it until they complain then, if they ever do.
07/25/2015 9:57 pm
Level 5 : Apprentice Network
Code_7
Lucy_the_CowSince we only get around 3GB per month

this makes me cry :\

anyways, so this might throw things in a bind..
if you have more than 1 computer and a computer hits your 3gb limit, the other computers will still remain connected to the internet cuz...yeaaaa, PC A doesn't tell PC B that the limit's been reached.

^but then again the OP didn't say he had one computer..so...it's just a thought
07/25/2015 9:40 pm
Level 15 : Journeyman Taco
Johnanater
3GBs a month? I've gone through 3GB already today. You would think bandwidth would be higher now. Unless it's on your phone. Which I have a 2gb per month limit ;-;

Well I think Murica already solved this issue for you. #Windows7Lyf3

Good luck on not bypassing your limit!
07/25/2015 9:16 pm
Lucy_the_Cow
Yeah, I figured 1GB wouldn't last long.
It'll only last me a few days, but I guess it's better than having no internet at all.

Oh, 8.1 can it? o:
07/25/2015 9:18 pm
Leeberator
07/25/2015 9:08 pm
Leeberator
Windows 8.1 has a metered connection setting for WiFi networks.

That being said, under normal usage you'll blow through a gig of data in a matter of hours. With light usage, maybe a few days.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome