[Idea/Suggestion] Make submitting skins harder!

mischajay's Avatar mischajay1/27/13 10:13 am
1/30/2013 6:59 pm
-Rusty-'s Avatar -Rusty-
Kinda controversial title, but here's why and how:

I don't have to tell you how many skins are being uploaded every minute on PMC. And I don't have to tell you how many of those are very bad or even copied. And that, in my opinion, is (among other things, of course) because it's simply too easy to upload a skin!

It takes about 2 or less minutes, to download a skin from someone, put it into a new submission, add a title, no description, no pictures, no tags, hit enter, done! There are many users who just flood the skin section, because they hope to get XP, just because they have 100 submissions!

Now, if someone actually works on a decent skin and puts work into it, he will usually make sure to present it neatly. I personally think every skin should have a nice brief description, maybe a reference picture or something similar. At least, don't you think you should add some tags to make sure people will find your skin?

With all that, uploading a skin takes about 10 minutes. That's not much more, but most people don't think it's worth that time to upload a skin that you don't even created yourself.

I think, we need to force people to put more time into their stuff. Users with OC will take their time, I am sure! People that upload skins solely because they can, will be discouraged to upload dozens of stolen and bad quality skins.

Here's how:
After filling out the "edit submission" winow, there are a few things that pop up. If a user did not enter either anything or just a few words into the description it will say

"Please write a few more sentences into your description and give a few details about it. How about adding a reference picture?";

And if you don't add any tags,

"Please consider adding a few tags to your submission, so people will find your skin easier!"

After going through these, before you can hit enter and put your skin out there, there has to be a message saying:

"I hereby confirm that I have read the submission rules (+link) and that my submission has been either entirely made by me, without any pre-made parts or bases, or in co-operation with one or more users, who agree with this upload and whom I have credited correctly."

After that there is a box that you have to check, just like with the Terms and Conditions of many programs. If the box isn't checked, the skin can't be submitted.

This is, in my opinion, way better than the hint above the editor that asks you to read the rules, because most people usually think "meh...I'm not reading that". With the box, it'd be more present and more people would actually read it.

Of course, this will not solve the problem of too many stolen or bad quality skins. But consider adding this, I think it could help a little bit to improve PMC even a bit more!

Sincerly,
mischajay
mischajay
Level 62 : High Grandmaster Skinner

Create an account or sign in to comment.

01/30/2013 6:59 pm
Level 40 : Master Procrastinator
-Rusty-
HerbertDiesel

That is exactly how I feel about the texture packs... It sucks I know.

All those "simple" packs out there!!! How many simple packs are there???
01/30/2013 2:01 pm
Level 40 : Master Procrastinator
-Rusty-
*uploads skin*

"Man this skin rocks! I'm gonna get lots of diamonds "

*waits 5 minutes*

*goes to skin section*

"Where my submission?"

*goes through pages, scrolling a bunch of teen skins, remixed skins, unorginal skins, etc. till he reach's page 13*

*see's submission*

*sees it has 1 diamond and only 6 veiws*

"FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU..."

The average "good" skinner
01/30/2013 6:58 pm
Level 39 : Artisan Nerd
HerbertDiesel
That is exactly how I feel about the texture packs... It sucks I know.

It seems like I am CONSTANTLY flagging texture packs that have blatantly stolen the entire texture pack from someone else. Here is a current one...http://www.planetminecraft.com/texture_pack/cool-1830547/ Anyone care to flag? I linked to the original artist in my comment.
01/30/2013 1:40 pm
Level 52 : Grandmaster Goblin
Gibu
Well, I do support your idea.
01/30/2013 1:32 pm
Level 39 : Artisan Nerd
HerbertDiesel
Any artist whether they upload skins or other artwork can easily find copies of their work if it is being plagiarized, simply by using Google image search. As a professional graphic designer this is a huge industry problem.

Simply take the picture in question and drag and drop it into Google image search. Google will search the web to find similar pictures. It even searches PMC...

I just did a test with a random skin and Google images found the original art and someone else that took the same skin but changed the colors. I then flagged the ripped of skin and wrote a comment on the post giving the original artist credit.

Other than that I'd say stay active on PMC so that others recognize your work when its stolen. Also keep flagging the rule breakers and put a link in the comments of the ripped of work linking to yours so that others know that it is stolen and can flag it too.
01/30/2013 6:07 am
Level 47 : Master Princess
Whoever01
They need this for blogs...
01/30/2013 2:39 am
Level 61 : High Grandmaster Hero
GarretSidzaka
dude they could write some code to catch copied skins. they could have it run a couple passes a day, or you could have to start during the submission process
01/30/2013 2:25 am
Level 13 : Journeyman Pokemon
Lax_People
I really agree, I used to copy skins but I leant my lesson and now I have 6skins and some other submissions that have managed to get me to level 10 I am proud
01/30/2013 2:24 am
Level 88 : Elite Scapegoat
Paril
99% of stolen skins have spam description and spam tags. It won't help at all.

All we need is better rules and more in-your-face flashing lights. I don't feel that the upload forms do the rules justice.

-P
01/30/2013 2:18 am
Level 44 : Master Modder
Warhawker
I second this. The skins section of the site is just flooded with crap. You really have to hunt for good ones, and with the way the site has been recently...Would be a good idea to slow the flow.
01/30/2013 1:50 am
mischajay
*bumpedi bump
01/28/2013 3:00 am
Level 58 : Grandmaster Sus
shinadafan2012
But can't the stealer just copy the description. (NO! I GAVE AN IDEA!)
01/28/2013 10:19 am
mischajay
Good point, but:

1. Even copying a description takes a bit of time. And it's at least a little bit more work, that some people won't like to do.

2. Most copies do not come directly from the original. They are circulating around on pages like NovaSkin, Skincraft, Skindex etc., until someone finds it there and thinks he should reupload it on PMC. So usually, they don't even know the original post.

3. It's more of a thing for very low quality skins, to encourage skinners to actually put time into their submissions.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome