Make the rules clearer.

Patchpen's Avatar Patchpen12/8/14 12:08 pm
1 emeralds 368 8
12/8/2014 4:50 pm
Azie's Avatar Azie
Ah, yes. The rules. I find myself checking them almost constantly, just to make sure I’m doing things right, but I still find myself confused frequently. I would think that if you’re using something as your guide, you want it to be clear. I see the merits of flexibility, but some things are so vague, I can’t make heads or tails of what is and isn’t allowed! For example:

Do not flame other users.
While it is generally clear what it means to flame, I think it is a disputable topic. A clear definition could be: Do not flame (harass or insult without reason or purpose) other users. Although there may be a better way to put it.

Do not type in all caps.
I realize I can’t do full chat messages in caps, but can I use caps to put emphasis on ONE word? I’m fairly confident you can, and it isn’t against the rules, but it DOES have the potential to cause confusion. I think it would be best to replace “all” with “excessive”.

Do not post threads outside of the section that they belong in. If you have
questions on where to post, ask.

Who (or where) do I ask? This is a problem I’ve had on multiple forums.

Specials and Announcements: Reaching any form of milestone such as a certain
number of subscribers, time since registration with the site, etc. is not a reason to
create a blog.

Does this apply if I make a blog that IS acceptable, but I make it because of a
milestone? (E.G: Making an art blog when I reach 100 subs)

Generally speaking, a significant portion of one of the primary areas that a resource pack covers must be changed before you are allowed to submit the pack. These areas include blocks, items, sounds, and the user interface. The rule of thumb for resource packs is that they must change at least 50% of all blocks or items, or all of the sounds or user interface elements, to be posted.
This always confused me. Does “all of the sounds” apply to music? Does everything you place count as a block, or does it not include paintings, item frames, and other non-cube structural elements? Where and how do mobs fit? Are they “items”?

Reporting:
The sections for reporting are as follows:
Other
Mistake
Spam
Inappropriate
Duplicate
Program-Generated Content
Incomplete
Update Log Abuse
Illegal
Stolen/Plagarized
Contest Disqualification

Are recolors of a skin spam, duplicates, or plagiarized? Are skins made with part pickers plagiarized, or program generated? Maybe you should put the section next to each rule in red like:

Hacks/Viruses: Any mod that is posted to steal account information, bypass the
account authentication process, or perform any function against the Minecraft Terms of Service or is otherwise illegal is not allowed and will result in an immediate and
permanent ban for the 1st Offense. Report as: Illegal
Patchpen
Level 17 : Journeyman Dolphin

Create an account or sign in to comment.

12/08/2014 4:44 pm
Level 47 : Master Spelunker
vaxivop
Azie, just a question, but where does it say that swearing is not allowed? Like, not directed at anyone, just saying the s-word.
12/08/2014 4:50 pm
Level 58 : Grandmaster Grump
Azie
That's actually covered in our Terms of Use:

http://www.planetminecraft.com/terms_of_use/

"You agree to follow all applicable laws and regulations when using this website. Furthermore, you agree that you shall not:

1: Upload, post or otherwise transmit through or to this website any content that:
- is unlawful, abusive, threatening, harmful, obscene, lewd, offensive, defamatory or otherwise objectionable;..."
12/08/2014 3:43 pm
Level 24 : Expert Archer
Lukerocks1233
what does flaming even mean?
12/08/2014 3:52 pm
Azie
Harassing, being very rude to, or insulting another user.
12/08/2014 1:44 pm
Level 17 : Journeyman Dolphin
Patchpen
Thanks, Azie. When I accidentally misunderstand something, I have a tendency to nitpick at the entire thing, so I guess I probably am over complicating. I also didn't realize the resource pack resources were already separated into folders.
Thank you for your time.
12/08/2014 1:49 pm
Azie
You're welcome. I don't mind clarifying some things for you.

I also put in an edit to the chat guidelines via our rules tab to directly reflect our rules in the chat room to avoid some confusion that's been going on for a while. Just have to wait for Paril (or Supers? Not sure if they can push rule edits live or not...) to publish the edit(s).
12/08/2014 1:27 pm
Azie
Patchpen
Do not flame other users.
While it is generally clear what it means to flame, I think it is a disputable topic. A clear definition could be: Do not flame (harass or insult without reason or purpose) other users.

"It is not acceptable to insult, harass, or flame other users on Planet Minecraft. Please be patient and respectful towards others, even if they are not showing the same courtesy towards you."

http://www.planetminecraft.com/rules/#r ... and_safety

I think that one is already pretty clear. If you're being rude, harassing someone, flaming, insulting someone, etc. then you're doing something that isn't acceptable on Planet Minecraft.

PatchpenDo not type in all caps.
I realize I can’t do full chat messages in caps, but can I use caps to put emphasis on ONE word? I’m fairly confident you can, and it isn’t against the rules, but it DOES have the potential to cause confusion. I think it would be best to replace “all” with “excessive”.

The chat rules in the chat room do state "excessive" instead of "all" and that is generally where are chat rules are read and updated most often. This is a simple edit though. I'll look into getting that edited to match the chat rules.

PatchpenDo not post threads outside of the section that they belong in. If you have

http://www.planetminecraft.com/team

Ask anyone.

PatchpenSpecials and Announcements: Reaching any form of milestone such as a certain
number of subscribers, time since registration with the site, etc. is not a reason to
create a blog.

An Art Blog that follows our rules and was posted because you've reached 100 subs is fine, but posting a submission solely to announce an event/milestone isn't.

PatchpenGenerally speaking, a significant portion of one of the primary areas that a resource pack covers must be changed before you are allowed to submit the pack. These areas include blocks, items, sounds, and the user interface. The rule of thumb for resource packs is that they must change at least 50% of all blocks or items, or all of the sounds or user interface elements, to be posted.
This always confused me. Does “all of the sounds” apply to music? Does everything you place count as a block, or does it not include paintings, item frames, and other non-cube structural elements? Where and how do mobs fit? Are they “items”?

Everything you hear is sound. Everything in the blocks folder is a block. Everything in the items folder is an item. Generally, if you did half of the items in those folders, you would have changed a majority of those areas, since they make up the majority of those types of files in a resource pack.

PatchpenReporting:
Other
Mistake
Spam
Inappropriate
Duplicate
Incomplete
Update Log Abuse
Illegal
Stolen/Plagarized
Contest Disqualification

Are recolors of a skin spam, duplicates, or plagiarized? Are skins made with part pickers plagiarized, or program generated? Maybe you should put the section next to each rule in red like:

Hacks/Viruses: Any mod that is posted to steal account information, bypass the
account authentication process, or perform any function against the Minecraft Terms of Service or is otherwise illegal is not allowed and will result in an immediate and
permanent ban for the 1st Offense. Report as: Illegal

It doesn't really matter what you report something as. As long as you're reporting it and state in the report what you feel is wrong with it, then we can moderate effectively.

tl;dr: You're over-complicating things. The rules are pretty straight forward.
12/08/2014 1:25 pm
Level 56 : Grandmaster Lava Rider
eagoy
Patchpen
Do not post threads outside of the section that they belong in. If you have

Specials and Announcements: Reaching any form of milestone such as a certain
create a blog.

Reporting:
Other
Mistake
Spam
Inappropriate
Duplicate
Incomplete
Update Log Abuse
Illegal
Stolen/Plagarized
Contest Disqualification

There are forum moderators, so why don't you send a pm towards one and await response. Being polite in the pm will always help.

Just saying you're on PMC for 2 years is an announcement. If you make an art blog because of reaching, for example, 200 subscribers as a thank you. Sure go ahead. It is simply the reason for making, not the blog itself.

If recolors of your own skin it are duplicates. Plagiarized if recolored from an original made by someone else. Program generated, I don't think so.

Anyway these are ones I think I can clear up a bit for you.
The other ones, well I don't want to burn myself on these. I suggest you wait on others responses.

ps. If I made a mistake on my clarifications, feel free to correct me on a proper way.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome