Model Packs: Allowed or not?

Headaxe's Avatar Headaxe5/29/14 12:42 pm
5/30/2014 6:25 am
Rox's Avatar Rox

As many know now, custom models like this were introduced in the 1.8 snapshots.
What you can see there, is one of the models in my resource pack "OCTABOX".
With models you can change the look of minecraft significantly.

As far as I heard (Source: Charlizard) packs, which update nothing than sounds are forbidden on PMC, because they don't influence Minecraft in significant way, or at least not more, than a Playlist playing in the background.

So here is the big question:
Are "Model-Only" packs allowed, or not?

I saw several model-only packs being posted here, even though I don't know if they were deleted now.

This topic is very interesting for me, especially because I invested ten bucks into BDcubic, which helps you creating models for resource packs.
Model packs have much potential and it would be amazing, if the moderation would answer me that question,

(This post contains a poll, so you can give your opinion by voting)

Poll ended 06/05/2014 1:01 pm.

Headaxe
Level 55 : Grandmaster Technomancer

Create an account or sign in to comment.

05/29/2014 7:51 pm
Level 80 : Elite Grump
Cipher_Punk
Here's the thing. You're asking for a 'blanket rule' and that's just not how this works. It's subjective, and there is no short answer.

If all a user does is edit the cube block shape to be a bit different, then uploads it here, the natural response would be to classify it as spammy for lack of effort, and remove it.

If someone goes in and, say, makes new mappings for every block individually for some reason (When would you ever do this without applying custom textures?) then I can maybe see it as being permissible.

Basically, no exception will be made for 'shape-only' resource packs. The current rule is that packs that demonstrate spam, copied resources, or a lack of effort are removed. A majority of the in-game blocks must be made unique for that pack in order for the submission to be considered valid. That rule isn't going to change.

If you're going to make a shape-only resource pack (or anything you're planning to host on your profile), put some effort into it before you post it.

I absolutely never want to see someone edit a single block, post it in resource packs, then come back and try to quote this thread as "proof" that it was OK and allowed when it gets flagged/removed as spam.
05/29/2014 1:46 pm
Level 43 : Master Pokemon
Jacob Rigoberto
Azie and Jetra, you are such high posited moderators, why not discuss it with those s-mods and Paril/Cyprezz?
05/29/2014 1:59 pm
Level 58 : Grandmaster Grump
Azie
It's been brought up somewhere were our staff can see it. When things like this come up I don't like going straight to supers or Paril because I want to give our other site mods a chance to give input on our submission rules. It takes longer this way, but I see everyone on our team as equals and would rather wait longer to get everyone's opinion.
05/29/2014 1:20 pm
Level 39 : Artisan Scribe
Jetra
I'm going to agree with Azie on this one as well, I've seen Mgreat and Giraffestock play with some modelling programs which take a ton of work just to do a few simple things like making tombstone or a Dalek. You can turn squares to octagons, how is that not significant? Anyway, I'd be all for allowing them, but going to wait for what the others have to say.
05/30/2014 2:48 am
Level 42 : Master Mage
Pixel
My opinion is that model only resource packs should be allowed but under strict rules that dictate how much you have to change or recreate etc.

It looks pretty hard to enforce though, as some models may require a lot less effort than others, such as when you use the default ones as a template.

However, it would be great to be able to browse the resource-packs in here and pick out sound from one pack, sounds from another and so on.
05/29/2014 1:58 pm
Level 20 : Expert Zombie
Goku_LSSJ
Off topic but...what anime is in your profile pic? Or is that just a drawing
05/29/2014 4:12 pm
Level 39 : Artisan Scribe
Jetra
Dunno, WonderCat picked it out for me.

KJ_BuildingTeamAzie and Jetra, you are such high posited moderators, why not discuss it with those s-mods and Paril/Cyprezz?

I don't really like to pester people too much about things, if I think it's a nice idea I tend to just drop a hint with the other moderators.
05/29/2014 1:07 pm
Level 62 : High Grandmaster Mlem Mlem Bat
Insanity
picture wont work D:
05/29/2014 1:11 pm
Level 55 : Grandmaster Technomancer
Headaxe
Try reloading the page. I guess imgur is simply down atm ^^
05/29/2014 1:05 pm
Level 71 : Legendary Nerd
Irish
Id say yes, if a lot is changed, as it is not the easiest thing to make 3D models. But still, I gotta agree with Azie here. Wait for some more moderators comments.
05/29/2014 12:57 pm
Level 58 : Grandmaster Grump
Azie
Our rules don't technically allow for model-only packs at the moment, so I would wait until it has either been disallowed or allowed very clearly in the rules. I'm not sure if this topic is something we've discussed yet, but I feel as though models are a significant area of a resource pack. As you might already know, our minimum resource pack requirements state that you must change a majority of one of the major areas of the pack (blocks, items, UI, etc.). If you still want to share the pack while we get it all sorted, you're more than welcome to do so in the forum.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome