Now that Minecraft natively supports shaders, will there be a place specifically for shader packs?

Rami-slicer's Avatar Rami-slicer8/18/20 6:02 pm
1 emeralds 2.6k 3
8/19/2020 3:11 am
ElectroSheep_'s Avatar ElectroSheep_
In Minecraft 1.16, you can actually use resource packs as shader packs, making Optifine almost completely obsolete. I've tested it out by making one myself, it worked great, and I think a place specifically for them would make it far easier to find them since there are only a few of them right now.
Also, you guys might want to rename the texture packs category to "resource packs" since the former term has been deprecated for almost 7 years.
Rami-slicer
Level 28 : Expert Electrician

Create an account or sign in to comment.

08/18/2020 6:50 pm
Level 42 : Master Procrastinator
ElectroSheep_
I think it would be better to include them as resource packs, because having a separate page for resource packs which have shaders would give people an excuse to make multiple posts of the same pack if it was a resource pack which had both regular resource packy stuff as well as shaders.

No, I think it should be added as a tag, like how in the datapacks section you have checkmarks for if the datapack adds functions, recipes, structures, etc...

I agree, it should be renamed to resource packs, they were changed to that specifically for the reason that they no longer only support textures.

I really don't agree, however, that optifine is almost obsolete now that shaders are a part of resource packs.

Only a small margin of people actually use it for shaders specifically, the majority of players who use it are generally
a. people who have relatively low-spec computers and can't run the game without it

b. people who just want the handy zoom feature
c. people who do have decent computers, but use it for it's various visual upgrades, like it's connected texture support, better grass, stuff lie that

(I'm c, I have a computer perfectly capable of running shaders and still getting frame rates up in the hundreds, but I very rarely use optifine for shaders, I just love the visual upgrades optifine makes by itself)
08/18/2020 8:09 pm
Level 28 : Expert Electrician
Rami-slicer
I probably should have elaborated about the obsolete Optifine point, there are several mods that are able to mostly replace Optifine:

Optimization:
Lithium
Phosphor

Sodium (Incompatible with optifine)

Utility:
Ok zoomer
LambDynamicLights

There's also Canvas Renderer (incompatible with Sodium), which is only in alpha, but looks pretty cool too. All of the mods I mentioned are for the Fabric modloader. Unfortunately there still isn't a mod that adds connected textures, but I wouldn't be surprised if one appears soon.
08/19/2020 3:11 am
Level 42 : Master Procrastinator
ElectroSheep_
I dunno, I think I'd rather install one, all-encompassing mod that a bunch of smaller mods.
especially since optifine has an installer to create an optifine client, without the use of a moddloader or anything like that.

Personally I think that, unless development for the mod stops, it's going to be quite a while before optifine is genuinely obsolete.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome