PMC's Currently Awful Situation

CherryGoose_Studios's Avatar CherryGoose_Studios1/18/13 2:56 pm
1/18/2013 10:08 pm
the_soup's Avatar the_soup
The PMC server are currently being terrible, the site is generally slow and the worst thing is performance when editing my projects.

When I try to save changes to Arctic Abyss it simply saying 'Saving...', FOREVER!

This is a ridiculous situation where I can't use very basic features of the site as to even save my projects.

Does anyone know why this is happening and when it'll be fixed?
CherryGoose_Studios
Level 65 : High Grandmaster Pokemon

Create an account or sign in to comment.

01/18/2013 10:08 pm
Level 72 : Legendary Button Pusher
the_soup
We have told you everything we know regarding the situation, so I'm locking this thread. We will let you know if/when we know anything else.
01/18/2013 10:05 pm
Level 32 : Artisan Ranger
Polar_The_Archer
Umm this should be locked

Firefight (0.0)
01/18/2013 9:33 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
claycorp
There is something wrong with your end or your host don't play completely dumb as to this i think you forget some of your community runs servers of their own. There seems to be a large breakdown in communication somewhere along the lines of Host>You>Us
And if your getting a DDoS attack the host should be telling you and then you telling your members.

Also if its something that's been happening over months and its not improving the signs of whats wrong should be getting more obvious... You should look deeper.
01/18/2013 9:38 pm
Level 25 : Expert Network
RiotShielder
I don't think anyone has the bandwidth to DDoS PMC...
01/18/2013 9:33 pm
Level 29 : Expert Fisherman
BattlingApollo
Camo7 is right, PMC is hard to run, so just be patient. And as for the "immature staff" thing, the staff are amazing, and if you have any problems with them just PM Paril or someone.
01/18/2013 9:30 pm
Level 25 : Expert Network
RiotShielder
Parilwe would probably murder several people at the end of every day.

I know how you feel
01/18/2013 9:26 pm
Level 13 : Journeyman Miner
xXPecuniamXx
Well I'm going to have a fun session of reporting people posting their servers in the project section.
01/18/2013 9:32 pm
Level 6 : Apprentice Engineer
iancarroll
69th post!
01/18/2013 10:06 pm
Level 10 : Journeyman Blacksmith
SkyTechKid
Really? Really?

Oh and i do hope this gets fixed asap
01/18/2013 9:23 pm
the_soup
lol butts
01/18/2013 9:21 pm
Level 88 : Elite Scapegoat
Paril
We don't. I have no idea why it's so strange in its operation.

@Code_7, the forums are a good place for us to relax and communicate things to members. When it comes to our "jobs", we are all very punctual and work to get things done as well as we can. We are allowed a bit of leniency in our conduct. If we were serious all of the time, we would probably murder several people at the end of every day.

If you're going to link me to posts of mods saying things like "BUTTS LOL", then it's not important and you're just not looking at it the same way we do. If it is, however, proper "abuse" and immaturity, then pass it over to me so I can deal with it, as part of my job is moderator management.

-P
01/18/2013 9:19 pm
the_soup
Like Paril said, the issue is not our servers. While we appreciate the good intentions, donations will not help this situation. We are still working to figure out what is causing the issue.
01/18/2013 9:19 pm
Level 50 : Grandmaster Baconator
buford_III
sometimes i cant save update logs. or update, for that matter
01/18/2013 9:18 pm
xXPecuniamXx
Also lets not forgot the site was actually down for two days a week or so back. I would donate to help upgrade the website, other people would also do the same probably. Just ask if you need money for a better website server.
01/18/2013 9:14 pm
xXPecuniamXx
Making new projects isnt working right now either. Tha last project made was 6 hours ago.
01/18/2013 9:09 pm
the_soup
ParilIt is disrespectful to do so, and the last thing we need here is for you to contradict your "staff are disrespectful" point if you're going to be disrespectful to staff.

-P

This made my head hurt.

As always, if you feel a moderator's ruling is unfair you can contact them or another mod to discuss it. Before doing so, though, please read through PMC's rules. Most likely your question will be answered there.

If you feel you have links 'proving' a moderator has been disrespectful or unfair, you can privately send them to Paril or I (or any other mod) and we will be happy to explain the situation to you.
01/18/2013 9:02 pm
Paril
The thing is, we shouldn't -need- to upgrade. The servers we have are supposed to, and do, support the load we are given. At times, during high peak hours, the site runs perfectly with no incident. This is how it should -always- run, but why it comes to a halt at seemingly random times (even when there is low traffic) is the problem.

@Code_7, you can have all the opinions you want, but keep the "staff are bad because they did this" off of the site. It is pointless and you will cause problems for yourself. It is disrespectful to do so, and the last thing we need here is for you to contradict your "staff are disrespectful" point if you're going to be disrespectful to staff.

-P
01/18/2013 9:32 pm
Level 6 : Apprentice Engineer
iancarroll
Being a UNIX sysadmin, I completley disagree. Your server simply cannot handle the given processes. Run ps aux and see how much mem and CPU is being used. Most likely it's Apache.
01/18/2013 9:41 pm
Paril
I appreciate your aid, but that isn't the problem. Restarting, killing, or any combination thereof of Apache doesn't do anything. Even our host couldn't figure out what the problem was with MySQL. A lot of UNIX people seem to tell us that Apache is bad and to switch to ngsix or whatever that alternative was, but honestly I don't think it's any part of the problem here. Whatever the issue is, I believe, is lying beneath our server platform.

@claycorp: a lot of this community runs servers, but they aren't as big as this site is. There is no breakdown in communication - what you know is exactly what Cyprezz and I know. I have no idea past that, as dealing with the host isn't part of my job, but they seem to have not been very helpful at all when we asked them to investigate these issues. The problems just "go away" after a few hours and there has been no explanation for it.

This isn't a DDoS attack. This site has been protected against them for a while.

I wish the signs were more obvious, but if anything it's made it more difficult to find. We've fixed many areas that needed optimization. I'm pretty much convinced at this point that it isn't an issue with the site itself, but that's just my opinion.

Anyways - uploads are fixed. A problem was preventing them from going through, but Cyprezz just fixed that now.

-P
01/18/2013 9:55 pm
Level 19 : Journeyman Wolf Whisperer
DeleteThisPleaseThan
Paril,
im going to blow this full retard.

are you running on x86?
01/18/2013 9:08 pm
Level 5 : Apprentice Network
Code_7
would it be going to far to post links to support my opinion? lol
links to forums posts from around planetminecraft?
01/18/2013 8:43 pm
Level 16 : Journeyman Engineer
WaterNode
Camo7Complaining about the PMC servers again are we?
PMC is a large site, you are right, the SQL server is nowhere near as strong as it needs to be.
It might be time for Cypress to consider upgrading the node that PMC is on. It may be difficult, but it would pay off.
01/18/2013 8:34 pm
Paril
The slow browsing is something we are trying to fix. It isn't really something we can pinpoint down to one place - at times, the SQL server acts up and will simply not execute simple queries. They stack up and get to a point where it's just unusable for anybody. The reason for it is unknown, queries that should take less than a millisecond may take seconds to complete.

Sometimes, restarting Apache fixes it, but it doesn't -always- fix it, which is problematic. Our databases are constantly optimized, and our servers are supposed to be able to handle this. I don't know what's wrong and I don't know when it will be fixed.

As for "immature staff", that's quite disrespectful and quite frankly, wrong.

-P
01/18/2013 8:39 pm
Code_7
its quite disrepsectful and i wouldn't have said such a thing if what i said i have not seen happening for the last 2-3 months
i've also had issues accessing pmc since november...plz do forgive me if i'm a bit low on patience

-and i'm forseeing that this thread will be locked due to you all disliking arguements so much..
01/18/2013 8:31 pm
Level 32 : Artisan Engineer
TheOnlyRealTGS
I agree
01/18/2013 8:28 pm
Code_7
at the end of the day PMC is becoming less and less inviting for everyone
someone needs to make a new minecraft website to take pmc's place

epicly slow browsing and staff that acts immature is getting a bit old imo

if i didn't get most of my players on my server from pmc i would've been gone a long time ago :\
01/18/2013 8:23 pm
Level 44 : Master Modder
Warhawker
You guys need to step back and think the amount of bandwidth this website handles.
All the projects, skins, blogs, mods AND all of the images for EACH of those items.
Not to mention, forums, chat, and the site uploading the image files for the site itself every time someone connects to it, which is probably hundreds of times every few seconds.

Not to mention, the DDOS attacks it probably gets every so often, though DDOS protection takes care if it. Most of the time.
01/18/2013 8:20 pm
Level 60 : High Grandmaster Skinner
Seth_Reed
Ah, so this isn't just me who's having connection issues. It is unfortunate. Hopefully the random lag goes away soon!
01/18/2013 8:04 pm
Level 69 : High Grandmaster Skinner
Teddy
Hey guys, I'm honestly not sure why the site is slow, my guess is as good as yours - server, lots of people online, etc.
We're sorry that this seems to be the case though, and we hope that you can be patient until the issue resolves itself or is fixed.

Meanwhile the forums seems to be working, you could roam around here.
01/18/2013 6:48 pm
Level 6 : Apprentice Artist
GrandChaos9000
I'm so really stuck but I can't save my texture pack, because the site still broken.
01/18/2013 6:38 pm
Level 30 : Artisan Bunny
Typhlosionboy
Me too.... It's annoying ._.
01/18/2013 6:24 pm
Level 39 : Artisan Creeper
11volt11
This has been going on FOREVER, but now it's at its worst, I think.

But they're doing the best they can.
01/18/2013 5:22 pm
OkraNoob
Yes same here I cannot upload a server or anything
01/18/2013 3:40 pm
Level 19 : Journeyman Wolf Whisperer
DeleteThisPleaseThan
CherryGoose_StudiosThe PMC server are currently being terrible, the site is generally slow and the worst thing is performance when editing my projects.

When I try to save changes to Arctic Abyss it simply saying 'Saving...', FOREVER!

This is a ridiculous situation where I can't use very basic features of the site as to even save my projects.

Does anyone know why this is happening and when it'll be fixed?

Keep calm and blame the CDN.....not paril. this might be why its lagging.
01/18/2013 3:34 pm
claycorp
Poor backend management or lack of funds to grow.
The servers cant handle the traffic of uploading and downloading all the skins and texturepacks and pictures is a lot of information they could have just out grown the hardware they use. Servers are expensive and the price leap between 2 servers can be thousands so if you want the site to get better help them out and donate a bit if you can!

They also might need to just clean stuff up that helps a lot if things start to slow just like any computer!
01/18/2013 3:29 pm
Level 6 : Apprentice Artist
PinkCrayon
I thought this was just me because I have a very old computer. But yea the site has been getting worse every day.
01/18/2013 3:19 pm
Level 29 : Expert Scribe
_DioM_
I as well have noticed this.

These errors can be crippling. I can't upload blogs from my iPad, images refuse to both load and upload..
01/18/2013 3:13 pm
Level 5 : Apprentice Hunter
MiracleWhip
This has been happening for a while and you just noticed? I guess it does seems extra slow. I find myself having to restart my browser every so often because the SQL servers a bit weak.

@mrrapiddj That's illogical. When a site grows it's database and servers are supposed to grow with it... And what's wrong with Americans? That seemed a bit out of place.
01/18/2013 6:44 pm
Level 70 : Legendary Demolitionist
Camo7
Complaining about the PMC servers again are we?
Forgetting the 5,000 to 14,000 members on the site at any given time of day? (Plus even more non-registered users)?
Ignoring the 800,000+ accounts and almost 900,000 submissions?

PMC is a large site, but expanding a site linearly (or exponentially) isn't as easy as it sounds.
And you are right, the SQL server is nowhere near as strong as it needs to be.

Also, yeah there are a lot of Americans on. But there are also a lot of Europeans (Minecraft was made by a Swedish guy after all), Asians, and people in the Americas besides the U.S.
01/18/2013 3:12 pm
Level 1 : New Nerd
mrrapiddj
its just because there are 10 thousand people on it
mainly americans
01/18/2013 3:04 pm
techageisuponus2
Sometimes, the site does not even load. Instead it times out several times
01/18/2013 3:02 pm
Level 7 : Apprentice Mage
Doctor Bone
Not to mention that when you try to open a skin upload it gives you that annoying screen with the red X on it.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome