Remove or improve voting system

dsfasdfafsda's Avatar dsfasdfafsda12/29/10 8:24 am
12/31/2010 11:49 am
dsfasdfafsda's Avatar dsfasdfafsda
Hi, I'm sick of trolls voting down on decent skins for no reason. Nobody bothers to vote up, they just download it if they like it.
dsfasdfafsda
Level 2 : Apprentice Ninja

Create an account or sign in to comment.

12/31/2010 11:49 am
dsfasdfafsda
Sweet, its all setup now. Thanks.
12/31/2010 11:03 am
Level 71 : Legendary Cyborg
Cyprezz
Done, you should log out and back in. Also, you'll need to update your sig code.
12/31/2010 10:54 am
dsfasdfafsda
bumping my rename >.<
12/31/2010 10:10 am
Level 53 : Grandmaster Sweetheart
Zeranny
Exactly! I'm giving a lot of ideas this week >.>
12/31/2010 10:09 am
Level 58 : Grandmaster Wizard
Zaralith
kind of like feedback requests you get when you buy stuff online and they want you to review it.
12/31/2010 10:07 am
Cyprezz
Oh! I like that. Added to my tasks.
12/31/2010 9:55 am
Zeranny

Thats a rough sketch of my Idea.
12/31/2010 9:38 am
Zeranny
Sorry I misunderstood your post. I'm thinking you're meaning percentage as in how many out of X downloads actually voted?
Also it would be nice to have a box on homepage that reminds you of projects/skins/textures that you have downloaded and not voted for or ones that you have not voted for but viewed more than X amount of times.
12/30/2010 9:08 pm
dsfasdfafsda
Nice one, thanks. My gaming rig is in for a "diagnostic" atmo, 5-7 days... bs
12/30/2010 9:01 pm
Cyprezz
Yah pretty much, fill in the project details & add some photos and/or video to show it off.

I will look into changing your name tomorrow. I've been coding the server section all day, need to eat and then relax with some Minecraft. Hopefully Skull brings his server back online. I've watched its status change while testing the server section on my local machine
12/30/2010 6:32 pm
dsfasdfafsda
i would like it changed to VantageTEHboxxy assuming it has capitals as thats my minecraft name or Vantage if it dosnt have capitals =p.

Glad to see that text wrapping has been added to the avatar info

Also could you explain the projects tab? Do i simply post a series of screenshots to make a "project"?
12/30/2010 4:57 pm
Cyprezz
At this time, it's going to stay the way it is. I do plan on stopping self-votes and removing past ones. I'm working on adding servers to the site which is more important than tweaking the voting system in my opinion. Votes are rare, tying them to downloads would overpower manual votes defeating the purpose of having separate stats. It also has the same issue that I mentioned before; most projects and all blogs & servers are not downloadable. They would never gain votes based on downloads which would really throw off the system.

Site is still new, voting activity is a bit early to analyze too deeply. I'd like to see how it plays out for a while. Downloads are like votes they're just tracked as downloads... For content that is downloadable, I would personally look at the download stat over the vote stat.

Hmm, what username do you want? It's not particularly easy to make the change.
12/30/2010 4:29 pm
dsfasdfafsda
Download = +1 like? People are too lazy to vote up 9 times out of ten. Whats your current idea on the new voting system?

Also, is it possible to change my username? I made this account based on my typical login but its not my internet alias
12/30/2010 11:06 am
Cyprezz
I could add that stat for skins, but it's not a site wide voting replacement. Most projects and all blogs & servers don't have download stats. It would also be an odd stat, since it will most likely be very low & continue to get lower over time.
12/30/2010 10:55 am
dsfasdfafsda
how so? 100 views and 12 downloads = 12% liked it enough to download it
12/30/2010 7:13 am
Zeranny
The percentage thing will not work. if you have 10 downloads and 150 views you still have 100% - neither of these will effect your percentage - there needs to be some way for negative feedback otherwise it will be pointless.
P.s I think you also may have meant ratio.
12/29/2010 3:19 pm
dsfasdfafsda
ah, maybe remove the like and dislike and add a download percentage i.e views/downloads.

Can we have text wrapping on the info under our avatars in forum posts as well, it looks untidy
12/29/2010 3:08 pm
Level 53 : Grandmaster Taco
kacboy
I feel bad when I downvote something with not that many votes cause it lowers the % so much, I would like a star system or something.
12/29/2010 2:35 pm
dsfasdfafsda
also the 100% more had didnt just have a sqaure around it, there was a brim on the hat that dosnt show in 2d, however i admit it was a simple skin to make. But minor changes the the orginal can be popular, i saw one that had a change of 4 pixels (white eyes) and that got a good reception

And on the subject of voting, could we have constructive critacism rather than "i dont like it". If "said person" doesnt like it they can make a better one themself... or view things they like.
12/29/2010 2:34 pm
dsfasdfafsda
can we stack variations then? maybe have a grouping feature and make them seperate when searched for?

I consider down voting variations counterproductive when its the organisation thats poor to be fair
12/29/2010 10:10 am
Level 40 : Master Musician
c danovich
sounds good cyprezz
12/29/2010 10:00 am
Cyprezz
Heh, we think alike.
12/29/2010 10:00 am
Cyprezz
Regarding the front-page, I'm planning on changing the layout to display the last 5 recently updated submissions in each category. It will require stripping out the stats and reducing the size of the preview images. That way, every section gets it's own block on the homepage. There will be a "Browse All" button below each block.

Good?
12/29/2010 9:58 am
Zeranny
yes please - I dislike having a few pages of skins before projects and textures, don't get me wrong its nice to have everything on the first page mabye just make an alternate first page box for skins and textures and one for projects and mods?
12/29/2010 9:56 am
Cyprezz
Variations are going to happen with skins. Maybe, an alternative browsing mode is in order.
12/29/2010 9:47 am
Zeranny
also please for the love of God (just a phrase) pleae use the search - there is a few skins that look the same and it annoying >.<
rant over and seriously double posting skins is a waste of valuable front page space
12/29/2010 9:32 am
Level 43 : Master Enderdragon
Skullcandy2010
Maybe we should just downvote all of the doubles to say to people we don't like scrolling through 10 variations of the same skin...
12/29/2010 9:39 am
Skullcandy2010
just to clarify Im not a trollvote,

I just upvote projects people have put some effort into
12/29/2010 9:31 am
Cyprezz
I'll stop the system from automatically voting on our own submissions, prevent casting votes on our own and remove all prior self-votes. That should help balance things. I have it casting a self-vote because I assumed you like your own work and it gave you 1 freebie against a potential trollvote. BUT, seeing the system in action, it makes more sense not to. There will be a lot of 0's.
12/29/2010 9:29 am
Cyprezz
Voting up and down is a subjective thing on any site. There will be some that personally like it, others that don't and most won't care enough to vote. It may take time but a downvote will influence others to review it closer and if it seems to be a "trollvote", cast an upvote to counter act it. Voting is a member only option to help prevent trolling, so there will always be less votes than downloads. It's simply an alternative form of feedback. You can look at views, votes, downloads, comments and favorites to get a overall idea. For skins, downloads are your clearest indicator of whether others like it or not. I know downvotes make us feel down but it doesn't feel right to only allow on form of opinion. I'm not saying the voting system is perfect, I don't think any voting system could be perfect, but I like having multiple forms of feedback on our creations. What do you think?
12/29/2010 9:14 am
Zeranny
would be nice to have a skin score instead of a total score for everything as it is easy to get score points when you upload skins. also the views add up when you have 100+ skins as they are usually viewd atleast 10-100 times at least.
12/29/2010 9:07 am
Skullcandy2010
Yeah + the voting system is broke

You subtract the amount of submissions from your vote score

Thats tell you your real score.

I noticed people have uploaded over 100 projects/skins and get + 1 vote just for submitting it....
12/29/2010 8:40 am
Level 40 : Master Musician
c danovich
i voted down your 100% more hat
because it is just like the normal skin
but with a square around it

i dont vote skins up, because i dont look at skins, i hate scrolling through 2 pages of skins
12/29/2010 9:08 am
Skullcandy2010
/agree
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome