forum Forumsplay_arrow PMC fiber_manual_record Discussion

Advice on School

1 emerald46 replies1,129 views
created 09/30/2014 10:53 pm by Roer
last reply 10/04/2014 5:30 am
I am a student, and I go to a school where the teachers think we know nothing about our legal rights! We were even told that our only rights when we were in school were to go to the bathroom and eat.I'm thinking of sitting near the detention bench, close to one of my friends who always gets detention because she is over-scheduled and can't find time to do her homework, but I need something to say if the staff members ask me what I'm doing. I honestly don't want to be rude, but I want a valid reason. And don't tell me to talk to the principle, she posts stuff on, er, certain social media, saying things like "When you're talking, I might be smiling and nodding, but I'm really thinking shut the *insert swear word here* up." Also, it's in school detention, if we get it, we get our free time taken away and we just have to sit there. This is also violating district rules, as they have not authorized in school detention. This is just a quick edit to clarify a few things.
Posted by avatar
Roer
Level 13 : Journeyman Artist

46 replies

10/04/2014 5:30 am
Level 20 : Expert Princess
arlodee
I feel that school detention violates the peaceful teaching principle. They should be asking why your friend is over scheduled and how they can help fix that and maybe provide them with a fixture so that they are organised. I've seen it implemented before, and it works instead of sending someone to detention without asking what issues they were facing. I have experienced something similar. I have a friend who was sent to detention for not doing his work because he didn't like it being forced upon him. It took 3 weeks for the staff to work out a compromise with him.

This is just my personal view, but I don't like how public schools teach to obey in a hierarchy format. It teaches students to become workers rather than managers and it doesn't teach them critical thinking, which is a very important life skill, so I pretty much disagree with the majority of posts on this thread.

That was my input. Good luck with whatever you do.
10/04/2014 4:50 am
Level 24 : Expert Narwhal
xenolovegood
I feel that this was asking for support and people didn't really respect that.
10/04/2014 2:20 am
Level 11 : Journeyman Narwhal
DjbossMC
I just dont care anymore.
10/04/2014 12:57 am
Level 47 : Master Artist
janidorr
I'm going to be blunt here, pardon me....

Get over it. Detention is a fact of school life. If you can't handle it, it's one of the easiest things to deal with. Remember, it was you (or your friend) who "forgot" their homework. That is their responsibility. If they can't keep up with the rest of the class, then a necessary consequence should be taken to help put in their mind that "forgetting" homework isn't the best idea. I don't know a single person outside of this thread who complains that detention exists. Personally, detention is like the real law. If you act fine and follow the rules, you'll never come in contact with it. Even if it's a "mistake" or "accident" (ex. not wearing a seatbelt), it's still your fault and you in a way deserve said consequences. I myself support the fact of lunch detention. People who are unable to perform up to school standards should be punished.

tl:dr -> Get over it. If you're in detention chances are you deserve it.

---------------->

Also, what rights are they exactly violating? Our 1st amendment rights (assuming you live in the US) are:

-Freedom of Religion
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Press
-Freedom of Assembly
-Freedom of Petition

So having to be held inside for lunch does not impede you from practicing a religion, nor does it mean you can't say what you want to say. It also doesn't mean you can't publish it in the press, or prevent you from peacefully protesting against the government. And lastly, getting detention has basically nothing to do with petitioning to the government.

I honestly don't know which rights you're referring to.
10/04/2014 12:42 am
Level 40 : Master Modder
David5886
Why is sitting next to your friend a big deal? Move on, and deal with it. There is NO LAW or quote that says that schools cant take your lunch away. Move on, it may be against district policy, but, the school can get special permission to do it, you dont know that.
10/01/2014 6:52 am
Level 21 : Expert Engineer
NetworkPCE
Grace357I am a student, and I go to a school where the teachers think we know nothing about our legal rights! We were even told that our only rights when we were in school were to go to the bathroom and eat.I'm thinking of sitting near the detention bench, close to one of my friends who always gets detention because she is over-scheduled and can't find time to do her homework, but I need something to say if the staff members ask me what I'm doing. I honestly don't want to be rude, but I want a valid reason. And don't tell me to talk to the principle, she posts stuff on, er, certain social media, saying things like "When you're talking, I might be smiling and nodding, but I'm really thinking shut the *insert swear word here* up." Also, it's in school detention, if we get it, we get our free time taken away and we just have to sit there. This is also violating district rules, as they have not authorized in school detention. This is just a quick edit to clarify a few things.

How is she so overscheduled that she can't do homework? If you mean hobbies like sports, thats not an excuse for not doing homework, school comes first then hobbies.

If i was a teacher i'd find your behavior very childish and annoying as well, it's really immature to ignore the fact that she didn't do homework, and she is there for a reason. Then complaining about laws and such to teachers, there is no law preventing them from suspending you, there is no law preventing them from making you do your forgotten homework after school.

I repeat, having hobbies and such is NOT even close to a reason for not doing homework. I'd accept it if it was that she has a disease for example and has to visit hospitals almost daily, and she'd be so tired when she gets home that she can't do homework, that'd be a reason.

Just don't make hate threads on teachers, it's not our business that you are trying to be annoying to teachers.
10/01/2014 3:12 am
Level 6 : Apprentice Miner
iEthan
I'm from Australia, QLD.
My School Quote; (Stolen from website).
We are in-charge of your child while they are in our grounds however you are in-charge of staff. You may exclude your child from class and detention. Although we strongly encourage you to let us keep then in-detention as they have done-so at school and not while you are in-charge of them.

Kind Regards
Jeff Capell
10/03/2014 12:53 am
Level 63 : High Grandmaster Button Pusher
Ash
I'm from there, too. The school that Jeff Capell works at doesn't have that quote anywhere near their website. lol.
10/03/2014 12:25 am
Level 15 : Journeyman Network
irritatedCat
Are you guys in the same school?
10/01/2014 1:59 am
Level 6 : Apprentice Miner
iEthan
Your guardian has a right, you do not.
I learn't that the hard way. Just get a parent / guardian to complain and your off.
If they don't want their child in detention then they get it because they are legally in-charge of you.
10/01/2014 2:16 am
Roer
Well, that one will be easy for me, as my mother is encouraging me to do this!
10/01/2014 2:42 am
Level 51 : Grandmaster Grump
Azie
Even then, that quote (assuming it was in your OP at sone point), doesn't say your parent can exclude you from detention. The school can issue disiplinary action and if your parents want to really fight it, it probably means suing the district or otherwise jeopardising your own education in most cases.
10/01/2014 1:57 am
Azie
Not really sure why you seem to think detention during lunch is abnormal... That's really the only time they can give you detention unless they keep you after school or on the weekend. Given those other two options, I would take lunch detention.
10/01/2014 12:59 am
Ash
"Teachers can impose detention with or without the approval of parents. The guidance says they should not impose the requirement by force. Failure to comply with the teacher's order to remain may be treated as a further disciplinary offence which may well be a fixed period exclusion imposed by the head teacher."

Unless your districts rules specifically state that they do not comply with the national standard, detention during lunch time is fine.
10/01/2014 12:50 am
Level 31 : Artisan Dragon
The_Big_Dish
okay I read it again:

Okay what do you hope to achieve? Do you want them to change the school rules?

I am just saying with what you are planning to do that won't change anything. You are better off trying to contact some kind of higher up at your school (which ideally would be the principal but you insist you can't so...). If you just do what you are planning to do at a random teacher you are probably just going to get in trouble and achieve nothing besides causing a scene.

Since you don't like my advice, you said you had a friend's mom who was a teacher right? I am not sure what the protocol for school districts are but maybe she could write a professional letter saying your school is violating that rule?

Are you sure they are violating a rule though? Most schools have in school detentions of some kind, I would be surprised if that were not allowed in that district.
10/01/2014 12:34 am
Roer
-whoops-
10/01/2014 12:30 am
Roer
Snowy
Grace357
I'm not trying to "give them sass over it," I'm trying to find a polite way to make them realize that they are violating district rules by making us have in school detention.

They're not breaking district rules by giving you detention. Break a rule, you deal with the consequences, that's how life goes.

They are by keeping us inside and taking it out of our lunch break. I've been studying up on district rules and my school is in violation.
10/01/2014 12:29 am
Level 15 : Journeyman Explorer
ChaosExpert
Grace357
I'm not trying to "give them sass over it," I'm trying to find a polite way to make them realize that they are violating district rules by making us have in school detention.

Odd, I didn't know there were district rules about that.

Still beats a 2-hour after school detention in HS.
10/01/2014 12:28 am
Ash
Grace357

They're not breaking district rules by giving you detention. Break a rule, you deal with the consequences, that's how life goes.
10/01/2014 12:24 am
The_Big_Dish
What district rules are they violating?
10/01/2014 12:28 am
Roer
They aren't allowed to give us in school detention coming out of our lunchtime due to simply not doing some homework. They have to be authorized by the district to do that, and they do not have the authority to do so.
10/01/2014 12:33 am
The_Big_Dish
Well if you are certain that is correct, a better way would be to directly talk to the principal rather than protesting like that. That way you are less likely to get in trouble yourself and you directly involve the person running rather than teachers that probably don't know much about the district rules. And a better person to do that would be the girls parents also since the principal are more likely to take them seriously.
10/01/2014 12:35 am
Roer
Read the original post again, I edited it.
10/01/2014 12:23 am
Roer
The_Big_Dish
funny bunny
The_Big_DishThis is really confusing to understand, you might want to be more clear OP.

Op wants to sit with a friend during detention,but doesn't want to get in trouble for it. And wants a quote to sass the teacher with if s/he gets in trouble

Doing that just seems like that will get them in trouble as well and what is the point in that. The teacher running the detention is just doing their job, don't give them sass over it.

10/01/2014 12:02 am
The_Big_Dish
funny bunny
The_Big_DishThis is really confusing to understand, you might want to be more clear OP.

Op wants to sit with a friend during detention,but doesn't want to get in trouble for it. And wants a quote to sass the teacher with if s/he gets in trouble

Doing that just seems like that will get them in trouble as well and what is the point in that. The teacher running the detention is just doing their job, don't give them sass over it.
10/01/2014 12:00 am
Level 18 : Journeyman Archer
Gamecool 10
funny bunny

Well, she PREFERS a quote. S/he didn't say she needed one.
09/30/2014 11:58 pm
Level 27 : Expert Dragonborn
funny bunny

09/30/2014 11:57 pm
Level 27 : Expert Dragonborn
funny bunny
Teachers have a hard enough job as it is without some sassy girl/boy referencing law quotes to them. I think the best thing todo is just sit with your friend and wait till a teacher tells you to leave. Also, friends who are in detention may not be the best choice of friend for you to have, but what do I know, I don't have friends :3
09/30/2014 11:55 pm
The_Big_Dish
This is really confusing to understand, you might want to be more clear OP.

edit: I think...I understand the situation? but not exactly what you want us to help you with. Schools cannot break laws but schools have their own rules and if you do not follow them they can bar you from coming to there. Um I guess you could look in the school rulebook and see if there is anything about joining people in detention, you still might get in trouble for general disobedience if a teacher tells you to leave for example and you don't.
09/30/2014 11:44 pm
Level 38 : Artisan Spider Rider
SpiderMatty
Grace357I am a student, and I go to a school where the ]teachers think we are stupid! I'm thinking of sitting on the detention bench with one of my friends who always gets detention, but I need something good to say when the staff members ask me what I'm doing. Something referencing a written law document would be fabulous. Also, how should I ask my friend who's mother is a teacher to do it with me? Thanks PMC!
-Grace

Doesn't every teacher think that?
09/30/2014 11:28 pm
Level 18 : Journeyman Goblin
Littleminer14
Is it just me or does this sound like grade school...

Now that I think about it, this probably is a 5th grader that wants to sit next to their friend who got sat out during play time. And I'm sorry, but no written law document stops them from making you following the rules.
09/30/2014 11:46 pm
Level 38 : Artisan Spider Rider
SpiderMatty
I'm in 5th Grade, people think young people are stupid and childish when they can be just the same of adults.
09/30/2014 11:37 pm
David5886
You dont follow the rules, they have the right to kick you off of school property.
09/30/2014 11:42 pm
Level 18 : Journeyman Goblin
Littleminer14
Wait were you arguing against me... because I am trying to prove the same point as you... or am I just really confused
09/30/2014 11:54 pm
David5886
I dont think you can determine that from a post like mine, but, there is no law that says they cant stop you, you dont follow the rules, they can still kick you off of school property, will they do that no, they will probably, if I were them, put the student that *I* am having a problem with in a different room, with the principle, and make them do some labor, which some teachers a my school does, which is VERY effective, or have you do a prompt, that never ends until you have finished serving your time.
09/30/2014 11:26 pm
Ash
Your friend is in detention for a reason. Sitting with them is a bit insulting to the teachers and frankly, quite rude.
Teachers don't think the kids are stupid. Funnily enough, they're there to help you learn and they care about what you do. If they didn't, they would have studied Human Resources instead (hehe)

As for what you're requesting, there are no laws saying you have the right to sit with your friend when they're on detention. In fact, quite the opposite. Teachers have to right to tell you to leave the area. I don't see why you'd want to get in trouble for a friend who's already in trouble. It's only hurting yourself.

edit edit: Over.. 14/15 (?) years of schooling, I learnt that teachers are some of the best friends you can have. I understand that people have different experiences, but they're there to help, not hurt.
10/01/2014 6:58 am
Level 21 : Expert Engineer
NetworkPCE
Yeah, myself i am super grateful to my past teachers who were strict. Helps me so much for the future. Yes, it is VERY rude to ignore teachers orders.
09/30/2014 11:13 pm
ChaosExpert
Azie
ChaosExpert
I don't even think you read the OP.

I did read the OP... I read it and interpreted it as "OP wants something to say to the teachers who ask what they're doing in detention". Given the "please make it related to law" and "they put us here because they think we're all stupid" remarks, I assumed the statement OP wants to make is to spite whoever is asking and make their teacher look bad.

If I've somehow misunderstood, OP, please clarify.

Ah alright. But this is how i interpret this.

>OP wants to sit with friend on detention bench
>Cries out that she never sees friend
>OP believes the teachers are stupid and won't understand why she's there
>OP is too superior
>Needs help with something to say
>Preferably witty
>Suggests help from fellow friend's mom who is too a teach'
>Mini gun brigade storms school
09/30/2014 11:13 pm
Level 26 : Expert Architect
PizzaPenguin_
*waits for clarification*
09/30/2014 11:06 pm
Azie
ChaosExpert

I did read the OP... I read it and interpreted it as "OP wants something to say to the teachers who ask what they're doing in detention". Given the "please make it related to law" and "they put us here because they think we're all stupid" remarks, I assumed the statement OP wants to make is to spite whoever is asking and make their teacher look bad.

If I've somehow misunderstood, OP, please clarify.

Edit: I re-read the post a couple times and don't really know how my brain disconnected on the "thinking of sitting with my friend who gets detention". My apologies for the misunderstanding. Will edit my original post to reflect that.
09/30/2014 11:04 pm
ChaosExpert
I'd just tell them you want to sit with your friend.

AzieThis post reminds me of people who use "freedom of speech" to mean "I do what I want". How about taking responsibility for the reason you're in detention instead of making smart remarks to your teachers? If they really put you in detention because "they think you're all stupid", which I can safely assume they very likely don't, then you should write a formal letter to your principal or school board regarding your complaint.

09/30/2014 11:03 pm
Level 9 : Apprentice Necromancer
creeperinmyhouse
1. What is a detention bench?
2. Why is your friend always in detention? that's a bad person to be hanging out with.
3. Why do you think that the teachers think the students are stupid?
4. Why do you need to say something good to this staff member?
5. Why wouldn't you just tell this staff member you are sitting on a detention bench (whatever that is)?
6. What are you wanting the teacher to do with you?
Just a few questions to help understand what you meant by this thread
Edit: Could you please edit the original post and word it better, you chose poor wording for it and it is extremely hard to understand what you mean.
10/01/2014 12:20 am
Roer
1. A place where we have to sit if we have detention.
2. Because she is over scheduled and doesn't always have time to finish her homework.
3. Because they act as though we do not know our rights.
4. I would simply need a good explanation.
5. Because it would be awkward.
6. Well my goal is to get the school to realize that they are violating district rules.
10/01/2014 8:00 am
Level 13 : Journeyman Skinner
KingRex35
Over scheduled from what? Sports? Playing? Just do your homework. Wouldn't want,"I went to detention EVERY day because I 'couldn't' do my homework" on your college resume. If she doesn't stop don't hang out with her. She is a bad example.
10/01/2014 7:07 am
Level 17 : Journeyman Cowboy
Jex_Infinite
It seems you don't know your rights. If you think your 'rights' will exempt you from school rules, which your parents would have legally agreed to, then re-read the constitution, and the school rulebook.
09/30/2014 11:01 pm
Azie
This post reminds me of people who use "freedom of speech" to mean "I do what I want". How about taking responsibility for the reason you're in detention instead of making smart remarks to your teachers? If they really put you in detention because "they think you're all stupid", which I can safely assume they very likely don't, then you should write a formal letter to your principal or school board regarding your complaint.

Clarification Edit from My Post Down the Page a Ways
Edit: I re-read the post a couple times and don't really know how my brain disconnected on the "thinking of sitting with my friend who gets detention". My apologies for the misunderstanding. Will edit my original post to reflect that.

In light of that edit, I think you shouldn't sit with your friend. From a behavioral standpoint, its not helpful for you to effectively undermine the discipline your teachers are trying to give your friend for poor behavior by sitting with them. Regardless of what you say, especially if that is something witty and not the straight truth a teacher is trying to get from you, you'll likely be asked to leave.

Planet Minecraft

Browse

Site

© 2010 - 2019
planetminecraft.com

Welcome