[Suggestion] Skin Battles

LeafNode's Avatar LeafNode3/10/13 6:25 pm
3/10/2013 7:08 pm
LeafNode's Avatar LeafNode
So, I recently had a skin battle to cap off my 200 sub celebration.

After doing so, I though it would be cool if a new type of post was added; a skin battle.

This new type of post would look like a double sided skin post. Each side would have the skinner and their skin on it. Over each skin would be the diamond count and people could pick which one they liked better. (Favorites and downloads would stay the same)

Setting it up would be fairly simple, you would type in the name of the person that you wanted to battle and they would get a notification. If they accepted, they would get access to their half of the post. Then, you both would upload your skins the same way it's usually done.

Experience from diamonds/downloads/favorites would stay the same. The experience from views would be divided in half.

The preview would be a half/half preview, with one skin over the other. Or side by side.
LeafNode
Level 50 : Grandmaster Ninja

Create an account or sign in to comment.

03/10/2013 7:08 pm
LeafNode
Cipher_Punk
LeafNode
the weighted score of a submission's views, downloads, comments, favourites, and diamonds, divided by the logarithmic weight of time

Wut?

Add all the numbers. Divide by the number of days since posting. Get a number. Rank submissions by that number. The top ones go on the popular reel. Check the numbers every few seconds and recalculate.

That's KINDA how hotness works, but way simplified.

Okay. The word "logarithmic" was what threw me off.
03/10/2013 7:05 pm
Level 80 : Elite Grump
Cipher_Punk
LeafNode
the weighted score of a submission's views, downloads, comments, favourites, and diamonds, divided by the logarithmic weight of time

Wut?

Add all the numbers. Divide by the number of days since posting. Get a number. Rank submissions by that number. The top ones go on the popular reel. Check the numbers every few seconds and recalculate.

That's KINDA how hotness works, but way simplified.
03/10/2013 6:57 pm
Level 16 : Journeyman Miner
anonpmc195880
[deleted]
03/10/2013 6:56 pm
LeafNode

Wut?
03/10/2013 6:55 pm
Level 48 : Master Blockhead
Happs
if you guys are making a skin battle may i please join?
03/10/2013 6:57 pm
LeafNode
This isn's about A skin battle. It's about the implementation of a new post/section for battles. (skinning, building, etc.)
03/10/2013 6:46 pm
LeafNode
I read in the spoiler that it said Hotness. So... could there be like a diamond thingy only it would be a little flame instead of a diamond?

I also agree with everything that you just said. (Or said a long time ago.)
03/10/2013 6:52 pm
Cipher_Punk
Hotness is already implemented. It's the weighted score of a submission's views, downloads, comments, favourites, and diamonds, divided by the logarithmic weight of time since posting. This score is checked per account & IP to keep multi-accounts from falsely inflating submissions that may not deserve the attention.

All of the submissions on the site have a 'hotness' rating, it's the driving force behind how the popular reels and "What's Hot" sections of the site work. You (and everyone else on the site) affect a submission's hotness score every time you interact with it.

For everyone ever asking "How do I get submissions on the popular reel" - there is the long answer. The short answer is still "Make things that people want to see".

Amusingly, the "What's Hot" section is also the easiest place to find stolen work that gets reposted, because apparently 90% of the site don't recognize something that's been posted before by someone else when they see it and immediately assume that the person who posted it is the original author.
03/10/2013 6:38 pm
Cipher_Punk
(Copied from a post I made about this roughly five months ago)

I actually really like the concept of "Skin Battles". I like that they engage users, and I like that they can bring out the more creative and competitive sides that drive the community to create nicer stuff.

I am unsure what the mystery updates Paril keeps hinting at are, but I feel like this thread would now be a good place to discuss what might be a good system for user-based contests. I was thinking about this for a while today and kinda anticipating finding this thread when I got home.

To make this happen properly will require quite a bit of site-design work. It's not something that can or will happen immediately, but these are the ideas I have on how to actually make this happen.

Click to reveal
How to make this work:
A new submission type completely, separate of both forums and blogs.

This would include it's own popular reel. The contest submissions should not receive diamonds (srsly that it doesn't even really make sense) but will instead be placed on the popular reel by the cumulative 'hot-ness' of the SUBMISSIONS to the contest, and not the contest itself. The decay rate should be slowed considerably in measuring contest 'hot-ness'. User contests should not be permitted to remain on the reel more than one day after they have ended.

A "recently ended" contest section on the main "contests" page

What might be included:
Public skin contests, "skin battles", build-offs.
I cannot imagine that texture packs would ever be competitive.
I highly discourage allowing users to create blog contests, at least until the changes suggested by Zaphod in the sitemod forums are implemented.

Who can do it
I have some pretty strong feelings against limiting user's ability to create submissions, but in a case where users may be judging each other's submissions, the potential for abuse/cliques/bullying/insults/drama is far too high to permit just any user to create a contest. Right now all I can really think of is a moderate level-rank lock (Users level 20+ only) or some other sort of 'trusted' status before being permitted to create a new contest.

Making a contest
An interface might be designed and added to permit users to create their own contests. Users would select from dropdown lists the type of contest, duration of the contest (3 days, 1 week, 2 weeks) and whether the contest is public or private. They would also create a theme for the contest, write out and specific rules, and post an appropriate banner.

The contest they have created will then appear in their profiles the same way a normal submission would. Their subscribers/friends would be alerted to it easily by this.

A public contest should show up in a list of active user-contests. These might appear in their own slot on the navbar, homepage reel, and user profiles of the users who created the contests. Users would not gain EXP for these contests (because most of the work will be automated). Users might be able to select active contests and add them to a "Contests I have entered" list. This may be on the same page as the active contests, or a separate page on their personalized home page (Finally balancing out the uneven blogs section box at the bottom )

A private contest will not show up on the list of active contests and will function by invite-only. Invites may be sent via a slightly modified PM system which contains additional 'Enter' and 'Decline' buttons. These private contests may be used for 'skin battles' or 'build-offs'. If a user accepts a challenge, the private contest is then added to the "Contests I have entered" list.

How submissions work:
To enter a skin/schematic/worldsave into a contest, a user would select an active public contest or a private contest they have been invited into from the list. This would take them to a separate upload page for their contest submission. On the back-end, this page will pass the contest ID that was clicked on to the submission page.

At uploading, the page will display the normal upload screen, and the rules specific to this contest (the ones entered by the creator) in addition to the normal submission rules.

At creation of the submission, it should be tired directly to the contest ID that it was entered for. This will allow the system to then insert a link (the banner for the contest?) in the description box for the contest submissions automatically, and also allow for the 'contest' submission on the contest-author's page to automatically update and include preview links and images to the submissions.

Judges
As far as judging goes, right now in user-contests, the creator of the contest and perhaps a nominal amount of other users may be involved in each. I am unsure if this is really a good system and am highly concerned about the drama it will produce (especially with diamond logs) but conceptually, we will go with this until we come up with something better.

Judges will be appointed by the contest creator and will receive 'Accept' & 'Decline' messages. Judges will similarly see any user contests they have accepted judging for in their 'active contests' list, and will be prohibited from entering any contests with the same ID as those they are judging.

Judging
Users who have accepted a judge role in a contest will be alerted via a flag/PM/both (or other method, perhaps similar to the 'level up' message at sign in) and clicking this will forward them to the judging panel for the contests they are eligible to judge for. In theory, they should be able to use the same panel that our official contest judges already use.

So, there you have it. How I think this might work. If you require any clarification, just ask. Any thoughts/improvements?
03/10/2013 6:28 pm
Level 72 : Legendary Button Pusher
the_soup
I've thought about this before. It would be nice to have a place in our 'contests' tab for user-generated contests.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome