Skin/pfp theft

memora's Avatar memora9/17/19 6:15 pm
10/4/2019 9:39 pm
kitteneyejo's Avatar kitteneyejo
Alright. So in multiple cases on MSS, people have taken my skins and used their faces as their pfp without permission. Do you think it’s wrong for people to do this?

Personally, I don’t really like it when people do this, especially when I recently saw someone going around MSS using my persona as their profile picture. I make skins for viewing and use in Minecraft, not really for other people to use as their profile pictures.

do you think it’s alright for people to use other peoples skins as their profile picture?
memora
Level 48 : Master Strawberry

Create an account or sign in to comment.

09/17/2019 7:00 pm
Level 47 : Master Peacock
GoldenGlider
OK well I also depends. like i woulsnt care if someone used my skin/art as a PFP as long as they credited me, but idk for other people. In general, you should get permission
09/17/2019 7:26 pm
Level 48 : Master Artist
GalacticMelody
Frankly you should ask for permission and/or give credit to the original skin however this just seems dumb to me. Why would someone go through the trouble of copying, pixel for pixel the face of a skin? Idk it's so weird to me but the jist is, get permission and/or give credit.
10/04/2019 7:16 pm
Level 48 : Master Artist
GalacticMelody
Kinda changed my stance on this just a bit and it's only because skindex is a free to use site. You don't need permission to use someone skins, that's why we post them. For people to see them and use them. Credit would be accepted but it's not necessary due to the fact it's a free to use platform BUT I still think it's dumb to copy a face pixel by pixel.

Feel free to disagree tho
09/17/2019 7:44 pm
Level 39 : Artisan Sailor
tomatotownn
If theyre not using their acc for clout or claiming theyre the original creator, I dont see a problem.

You did upload it to the public to download.
09/18/2019 7:02 am
Level 67 : High Grandmaster Senpai
Stubbs1
I do get that it would be nice if they asked for permission, but if they use it as a profile picture and don't claim to be the creator of it, nor uses their account to hack people / do criminal or bad things online. I don't really see what's wrong with them using it.

I mean, I would give a guess as to 90% of the profile pictures being used on online forums, Discord, Steam, etc. was not created by that user. I would be a bit flattered if I had made something so pretty that people wanted it to be their profile picture :p
09/18/2019 9:17 am
Level 67 : High Grandmaster uwu
Terminant
I personally take it as a compliment more than anything same with people posting edited versions of my skins, Which I really don't mind but I'd rather be asked for permission first.
09/18/2019 12:23 pmhistory
Level 58 : Grandmaster Grump
Azie
It's nice when people ask for permission, but I feel they don't ultimately need to. If they're not claiming to have made the skin, I don't see what the issue is.

Also, as far as credit goes, even though they're using your skin in their PFP they may not know you created it. They could have gotten it from some other source and have no idea who actually made it since reuploading/theft is so common in the skinning community.
09/23/2019 8:50 amhistory
Level 43 : Master Wolf
Hardcrafter
As long as they don't claim they've made the skin they're using as their PFP, it's kind of in a moral grey area. It's like using anime PFPs for example, there is nothing illegal nor immoral about using anime PFPs on social media. It's a character that you didn't create yourself but you're still using it to represent yourself.
09/23/2019 12:37 pm
Level 17 : Journeyman Artist
LaPandaBlasee
if permission is given everything is good ! but even if there's no permission given i think that if they dont act like they made it it's fine.... giving credit is better tho
10/04/2019 6:30 pm
Level 24 : Expert uwu
Lunar_Cat
Its a rule:
Do Not Part pick from other artists skins to make your skins. You must make original content.
But I feel like if permission is granted and you give credit to that person it is ok.
10/04/2019 9:39 pm
Level 3 : Apprentice Artist
kitteneyejo
i was thinking about this the other day.. i ocassionally see a skin that says something along the lines of "do not use! this is mine!" and like

i get it, but why upload it here as a skin that you can download if you super dont want other people to use it? take screenshots and put it in a blog or something if you want to show it off. iunno 🤷‍♂️
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome