Stolen and Remixed Skins (Solution)

forro34's Avatar forro342/13/12 4:40 pm
1 emeralds 194 6
2/14/2012 12:39 pm
yoavsnake's Avatar yoavsnake
I have noticed many stolen, recolored and spam skins were uploaded during the last months. This has caused a large number of blog posts about this problem to be submitted. While many of them got popular, none of them actually proposed a solution. My dismay had built up until earlier today, when I wrote down all my thoughts as a comment on the [url=www.planetminecraft.com/blog/stolen-and-recolored-skins/]"Stolen and Recolored Skins"[\url] blog post.

This is what I think:

There have been many other "Let's do something about the skins!" blog posts. If none of them worked until now, why should any other ones work? Every user that would consider stopping with the illegal skins already did! How about PMCers stop posting blogs about an all-known problem and actually try to propose a solution? No offense to you and all, I think the post is well written. I like it, I just think that a solution is lacking.

[b]Now, what we could do:[/b]
If you don't like the Steve remixes, don't let them exist! Either the rules have to be stricter, or they have to be enforced better. I feel like the second option is more useful in our situation.

Users should report more often and mods should be more 'ruthless', they should delete every submission that has the slightest sign of remixed-ness. This only needs to continue for a short time. The number of skin-trolls would eventually decrease, since they would finally understand that their submissions will get deleted anyway.

A more dramatic solution would be to employ an 'approval system'. Every skin that would be submitted would be put on a list. While everybody would be able to see the list (somewhere other than the direct tabs on the front page), only the top several hundred active and trusted PMCers would be able to approve or disapprove the skins. The approved skins would then go to the normal skin page...

I imagine, that if one of these ideas would be perfected and implemented in the PlanetMinecraft website, the skin section quality would profit greatly.
Let us discuss ways to raise the level of quality. Post your own ideas if you have any.
forro34
Level 44 : Master Engineer

Create an account or sign in to comment.

02/14/2012 12:39 pm
Level 41 : Master Herobrine
yoavsnake
You know what I suggest? Rewards for reporting a lot- probably special classes...
02/14/2012 12:37 pm
Level 41 : Master Herobrine
yoavsnake
Search for names that could be remixed/unoriginal submissions. For example:
White hoodie
(30% of the skins in PMC have a white hoodie that is 100% the same)
02/13/2012 7:29 pm
Level 36 : Artisan Hunter
Ploopyandproud
I agree with this system, but it has to be a more automatic checking thing, so mods don't have to check out every skin we EVER see.
02/13/2012 7:24 pm
Level 54 : Grandmaster Witch
mommaCarole
every day, we receive THOUSANDS of new skin submissions. If we had to moderate each and every one before it was posted they would be backlogged like nobody's business (trust me, I suggested the exact same thing!)

as for being harsher, we are! every time someone reports a mixed/stolen skin we go and look... problem is someone telling us "this is stolen" does absolutely no good at all. We desperately need people to start giving links/proof that something is stolen. Steve remixes are easy, even *I* know a Steve remix. minersshoes, etc is way harder for ME because I've never been to the sites, so I wouldn't know a stolen skin from an original. That's why we have some skinning experts on the staff... but that's only 3 of the site moderators. See, if I took someone's word for it, and I was wrong, I've got a user sending me hate mail and threatening to kill my family...

I wish I was only kidding about that.

Anyhow. Yes, all you PMCers can help us massively by taking a look at the new skins and reporting stolen/mixed ones for us. But please please PLEASE link to the originals if you claim a skin is stolen. Telling us "I saw this somewhere before" is NOT proof that the skin is stolen.
02/13/2012 4:45 pm
Level 47 : Master Spelunker
vaxivop
Well, good idea but i dont think it would work. People and mods are already trying to report and stop the spammers. But there are simply too many. The other solution wouldn't work either. There are way too many posts each day, it would be a hell to go through them all and watch every detail to make sure its not remixed/stolen.
02/13/2012 4:57 pm
Level 44 : Master Engineer
forro34
For the first: The blog posts right now are motivating people to not submit stolen work. The fact that they have to actively report is never the main point. Then the mods will need to become more ruthless... If it even looks like the skin is spam/stolen, it would get deleted. Yes, many users would be unhappy, but I think it's worth it if after this week or two PMC would flourish.

Second: That's why there would have to be a group of several hundred users that are highly motivated to pull this through. There are 100 pages of skins uploaded every day (the number is almost exact). That's 1,200 skins. Divide that by 100 ( I think the minimum number of users needed to participate) and you get 12 skins per user. That would take you about 15-20 minutes to check. If the team would comprise of 400 users, it would be 3 skins per person, which would take you 5 minutes. That is not a lot...

Thank you for taking your time to post. :]
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome