Suggestion: Explain why if a report is not acted on

Fureniku's Avatar Fureniku6/25/14 7:18 am
6/25/2014 2:58 pm
Jetra's Avatar Jetra
Hello.

I've just got a quick request/suggestion. I report things quite a lot, because I believe that the quality of content is more important than the quantity. So, I follow the rules quite closley, and if I believe something doesn't fit I report it.

However, it seems a lot of the time, my reports are closed without action being taken against the mod. I was just wandering- would it be possible to alter the system so when a moderator closes the report, they can write a comment about why they think the submission IS valid?

Example being yesterday I reported a mod, which the sole purpose was to allow players with cracked copies of the game to use skins on servers. This promotes cracking/pirating the game, which is against Mojangs EULA*, and therfore illegal. However, it was not removed when I reported it - I'd love to know the reason behind it so I know whether to report something similar in the future or not.

Another example, I reported a mod about 24 hours ago which contains nothing but a ruby and a sapphire ore. Something which is explicitly against the PMC T&C. Just looked, it's still there and the report closed. Why? If I'm reporting things against the T&C and they don't get closed, it's just wasting my time and the moderators time too.

So yeah, that's all really

*Yes, I mentioned the EULA and it wasn't related to server monetization. It covers other stuff too
Fureniku
Level 88 : Elite Modder

Create an account or sign in to comment.

06/25/2014 2:58 pm
Level 39 : Artisan Scribe
Jetra
Silvania Studios
AzieWhen we close your report without taking action, it means there was no action to be taken, you didn't include enough proof that the content was breaking our rules, or it wasn't breaking any rules at all.

Alright, so lets go back to my example of the ore mod. It adds two ores, ruby and sapphire, nothing else. The rules say:
Rules
Simple Mods: These submissions are mods that do not add new functionality to Minecraft, or simply add functions designed to allow cheating. Mods such as new tools, ores, mobs, or recipes for things

In my honest opinion, I don't see why that would require "evidence"? Its very existence is evidence that it's breaking the rule.... but if there's something more that I need please do let me know.

As for "or it wasn't breaking any rules at all" - That's the entire point of my suggestion. If I think it's breaking a rule, but you disagree, it helps for me to know that so I don't report similar content in the future. That also gives you guys less reports to have to process.

You're missing a small bit to that rule, there

Simple Mods: These submissions are mods that do not add new functionality to Minecraft, or simply add functions designed to allow cheating. Mods such as new tools, ores, mobs, or recipes for things like diamonds generally fall into this category if they are not adding something new to the game.

It's up to the Moderator to designate whether or not a mod falls into that category. If that ruby and sapphire were re-coded from diamonds and emeralds, then it most likely got removed. If there was something that actually made use for them and had effort put into it then that might be the reason for the dismissal of the flag.

The thing about Mods is that no regular person can go through the program and read what does what. There are hundreds, if not a couple thousand lines in the code with some of the bigger mods, dozens of files that it's a fairly time-consuming and delicate task.
06/25/2014 2:05 pm
Fureniku
AzieWhen we close your report without taking action, it means there was no action to be taken, you didn't include enough proof that the content was breaking our rules, or it wasn't breaking any rules at all.

Alright, so lets go back to my example of the ore mod. It adds two ores, ruby and sapphire, nothing else. The rules say:
Rules
Simple Mods: These submissions are mods that do not add new functionality to Minecraft, or simply add functions designed to allow cheating. Mods such as new tools, ores, mobs, or recipes for things

In my honest opinion, I don't see why that would require "evidence"? Its very existence is evidence that it's breaking the rule.... but if there's something more that I need please do let me know.

As for "or it wasn't breaking any rules at all" - That's the entire point of my suggestion. If I think it's breaking a rule, but you disagree, it helps for me to know that so I don't report similar content in the future. That also gives you guys less reports to have to process.
06/25/2014 1:38 pm
Level 57 : Grandmaster Cyborg
Pepijn
Azie
"Report was closed" typically means it was handled and action was taken. "Report was dismissed" or "report was deleted" means no action was taken because of one of the reasons I stated. That being said, sometimes action is taken and the report shows as deleted because we handled a report and forgot to close it (this mostly happens on the forum), so we go back and just get rid of it.

Thanks, it's really confusing sometimes what has been done.
06/25/2014 1:29 pm
Level 58 : Grandmaster Grump
Azie
Pepijn96

... it would be damn helpfull to get a little bit more than "the report is closed" on the default e-mail. It doesn't even have to be very specific, just a "Not enough proof" or a "doesn't break the rules, check this, this and this for more information about reporting"

"Report was closed" typically means it was handled and action was taken. "Report was dismissed" or "report was deleted" means no action was taken because of one of the reasons I stated. That being said, sometimes action is taken and the report shows as deleted because we handled a report and forgot to close it (this mostly happens on the forum), so we go back and just get rid of it.
06/25/2014 12:38 pm
Level 58 : Grandmaster Grump
Azie
When we close your report without taking action, it means there was no action to be taken, you didn't include enough proof that the content was breaking our rules, or it wasn't breaking any rules at all. We shouldn't have to explain every decision we make on reports since the reason we handle reports the way we do or don't is between staff and the person who owns the submission, forum thread, or chat entry and it's none of the person-who-reported-it's business.
06/25/2014 1:26 pm
Pepijn
The suggestion was to give mods the option to leave a comment for the reporter I believe, so "We shouldn't have to explain every decision we make on reports" doesn't really apply.

Also "it's none of the person-who-reported-it's business", maybe this is true (I'm not the judge of that) but sometimes it would be damn helpfull to get a little bit more than "the report is closed" on the default e-mail. It doesn't even have to be very specific, just a "Not enough proof" or a "doesn't break the rules, check this, this and this for more information about reporting"
06/25/2014 11:09 am
Level 39 : Artisan Kitten
Seabro
i agree
06/25/2014 11:04 am
Level 20 : Expert Skinner
xXTheArcherXx
Yes, the same thing has been happening to me too. This would be something nice to have.
06/25/2014 8:41 am
Level 32 : Artisan Creeper Hugger
GoldButterKnife
Agreed, it's not a priority but it would still be nice to have.
06/25/2014 8:22 am
Level 67 : High Grandmaster Toast
sigurd4
so you're one of them, huh?
06/25/2014 11:01 am
Fureniku
What, someone who reports bad content? Yes, I am.

Also, love the sig
06/25/2014 8:24 am
Pepijn
...?
06/25/2014 8:18 am
Level 21 : Expert Pony
RageLokiCat
I completly agree, I've even seen spam threads stay open after my reports.
06/25/2014 8:13 am
Level 36 : Artisan Prince
n8mo
Agreed, however this is up to Cyprezz and not the community.
06/25/2014 8:15 am
Pepijn
That's why it's called a suggestion and not a demand
06/25/2014 8:12 am
Level 30 : Artisan Archer
gusgus
^^
06/25/2014 8:09 am
Pepijn
Please yes, this needs to happen.