Tax on server donations?

sarcastic_ninja's Avatar sarcastic_ninja2/18/14 7:33 pm
1 emeralds 3.7k 14
2/19/2014 9:28 pm
DAP's Avatar DAP
Can a mod please lock this?

I've read that if people donate on your server it is considered a gift and cannot be taxed on. But I want to give perks in-game in return for the donations, and that is considered income. I'm a minor living with my parents by the way. I want to use Buycraft, a pay-pal account (I think not quite sure) connected to my moms credit card (she's ok with it). My questions are Does Buycraft or PayPal pay tax automatically? Do they still have to pay tax on the "income"? What else should I know? Thanks!
sarcastic_ninja
Level 6 : Apprentice Crafter

Create an account or sign in to comment.

02/19/2014 9:28 pm
Level 27 : Expert Dragon
DAP
User requested a lock. So, locked. (and no, gifts do not receive taxes. But make sure they pick "gift" as they payment option, or else there will be a tax that they will choose to probably send to you.)
02/18/2014 8:27 pm
Level 41 : Master Blob
Navbarry
Paypal donations do in a way tax you, since they do take a small percentile portion of the money/
02/18/2014 8:47 pm
Level 88 : Elite Scapegoat
Paril
He's asking about legal tax. PayPal isn't a government, you aren't paying tax even if they do take money off of you. That's just a usage charge.

Ask an accountant. You're wasting your time by asking here as you're just going to get conflicting/useless information.

-P
02/19/2014 9:17 pm
Level 41 : Master Blob
Navbarry
I am perfectly aware paypal isn't a goverment. By tax, I meant percentile fee.
02/18/2014 7:58 pm
Level 48 : Master Artist
janidorr
Donations aren't taxable and even if they were the taxes would go to the government, not you. So people are giving you a monetary gift in return for perks. There's no taxation since it's not really a legitimate business.
02/18/2014 7:54 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
MCemerald7822_2
Think of it like this "you get 100 bucks from grandma then you go and give her flowers IS THE GOVERMENT GONNA TAX YOU SINCE YOU GAVE HER 5 DAISIES.
02/18/2014 7:56 pm
Level 6 : Apprentice Crafter
sarcastic_ninja
No but I plan on getting more than 5 daisies and hopefully more than $100 (I'll need $144 to break even)
02/18/2014 7:48 pm
Level 34 : Artisan Architect
bloxParadise_
All of the above are incorrect. PayPal does not care how you phrase your income. If you are receiving money, it is considered income. Once you are above a certain thresh hold you will be required to submit tax information (20,000 dollars in income, and 200 transactions). You WILL know once you are required to submit your taxes because paypal will keep bugging you about it.
02/18/2014 7:40 pm
Level 4 : Apprentice Network
degutter29
As long as it is phrased as a donation, you do not get taxed. Now, any other way that it is phrased, you will probably get taxed.
02/18/2014 7:39 pm
Level 58 : Grandmaster Grump
Azie
It's a donation and you're giving them perks, so it isn't a sale and there is no tax. Donations are money gifts, not payment, legally.

I should clarify since I didn't the first time. Blox is correct. Neither you or people who donate have to pay tax. You only have to submit your taxes once your income reaches a certain point and I'd imagine this depends on what country you live in as well.
02/19/2014 9:21 pm
Level 20 : Expert Button Pusher
devonkeith
I am an experienced Buycraft user. Buycraft takes 9% of everything that you earn.
02/19/2014 9:25 pm
Level 8 : Apprentice Miner
Playersdogames
buycraft can't take money from you because its for the server or something i used buycraft since it came out and never took money from me
02/18/2014 8:25 pm
Level 57 : Grandmaster Programmer
sycoinc
However if you are getting donations over a set amount i believe in some countries you are required to pay some tax on it... but that's like after 10,000+ i believe. Also after having money sitting in paypal over a select amount paypal may get you to variety your account to prove you are not laundering money.

You should be fine using buycraft and paypal for servers unless you all of a sudden get 1000s of dollars daily
02/18/2014 7:36 pm
Level 3 : Apprentice Taco
MinecraftSG
Aren't you just giving a "gift" in return for a "donation"?
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome