Is there any allowed way we can post server packages?

Snowyfox's Avatar Snowyfox3/29/14 5:14 pm
3/29/2014 6:48 pm
Snowyfox's Avatar Snowyfox
^^ Topic title.

By "server package", I mean a full-on folder with things like the server .jar and plugins set up. And also, if a map can be supplied in the package together.
Snowyfox
Level 26 : Expert Princess

Create an account or sign in to comment.

03/29/2014 6:35 pm
Level 88 : Elite Scapegoat
Paril
On the forums you aren't gaining anything for posting stuff, so we don't care. As long as you aren't saying you made it when you clearly didn't, it's not really of much concern to us.
03/29/2014 6:48 pm
Snowyfox
Alright, thanks.
03/29/2014 6:07 pm
Level 88 : Elite Scapegoat
Paril
Firstly, @ ToS - ToS is only there in the case where it needs to be used. For instance, our ToS says that users may not access the site in a manner that we deem inappropriate - those "manners" aren't defined, but that clause is there if it ever does happen & we can prove that the manner being used is not the same as the manner other people use.

In the case of Mojang, they have the redistribution clause in there so that they can enforce it if they absolutely have to. We still, as PlanetMinecraft (a business), have to abide by the terms of use of other places. If you wish to "redistribute", don't redistribute; do what launchers do and instead download it from a proper source. That's the "legal" way of approaching redistribution.

No, there is no way for you to post a server package. None of the content you say you'd include falls under 100% original content. That is, and always has been, the first, primary, major rule of PMC. It is iterated quite heavily in the Submission Guidelines right off the bat. If you didn't make the content, don't post the content.

(Putting things other people make in a box and selling it does not make the contents yours, before people go off on "but I zipped it myself and therefore it is totally 100% mine!")

EDIT: for further clarification, you can distribute this stuff on the forums if you wish. We don't have any problem with that. The submission side of the site is only for user-generated content that you make yourself.
03/29/2014 6:24 pm
Snowyfox
Alright, thanks, Paril. Much appreciated

So essentially...in the forums, PMC is not held responsible, and thus if we are ever in doubt at breaking submission rules or accidentally getting PMC sued, just do it in the forums?
03/29/2014 6:03 pm
Level 27 : Expert Taco
experttacobear
I would think not. People could easily hide viruses in this.
03/29/2014 6:07 pm
Snowyfox
Good point. I would accept that as a final response. But I'm waiting for some sort of PMC staff to verify that this isn't against the rules (I'm not exactly sure how to interpret the rules well...).
03/29/2014 5:55 pm
Level 42 : Master Mage
Pixel
No. That goes against Minecraft Ts & Cs. You cannot re-distribute the server files.
03/29/2014 5:55 pm
Level 57 : Grandmaster Fox
Foxy
What section would you be posting that in? Blogs, Projects, Mods....
03/29/2014 6:00 pm
Snowyfox
Preferably Projects, otherwise Blogs. Definitely not Mods.

ThePixelPonyNo. That goes against Minecraft Ts & Cs. You cannot re-distribute the server files.

Then it would be strange that Mojang isn't suing the crap out of everyone. 99% of the servers on this site aren't Vanilla.

And also wouldn't Mojang be breaking their own T & Cs by distributing it? xD (Yes, I know T & Cs apply only to CUSTOMERS, which would be a reasonable explanation).
03/29/2014 5:18 pm
Level 10 : Journeyman Pixel Painter
TheMCBros99
No, isn't that selling products
03/29/2014 5:51 pm
Snowyfox
*polite facedesk* No. I'm not selling, I'm just distributing a free package. It's no more harmful than posting instructions to setting up a Craftbukkit server.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome