There is too much darn spam in the Datapack section of PMC

Suspicious Stoo's Avatar Suspicious Stoo3/31/21 6:49 pm history
18 emeralds 368 12
5/25/2021 12:43 pm
Gamenight999474's Avatar Gamenight999474
Hey all, long time fan of this site. I've been using it since the old Walls map released and have even submitted some stuff myself. Lately though, it's like PMC's Datapack section is getting swarmed with a lot low effort content.

I think the biggest problem is that the posts are easily replicable and end up piling up on top of some really creative or interesting datapacks. Stuff like "recipes for golden apples or saddles" or "X drops OP loot" take about a minute to write, but seem to be drowning out a lot of datapacks I've seen. Packs that were posted with few updates but lots of effort and polish can't keep up. It's kind of a shame. The fact that anyone can make a spam datapack lends to there being a steady flow of same-ish posts. I've seen a few projects come and go because they couldn't provide the regular updates needed to stay relevant long term.

On the flipside, a few of these packs are actually interesting and must have been tricky to code, so it's hard to bag them all in one basket (so to speak). Plus, it's a great gateway to learn how to write a basic datapack, and it could maybe be argued that uploading it here might incentivize new creators to develop even more stuff. For some, gapple recipe packs have really become the "Hello World" of datapacks.

Still, I'm no moderator, but most of these posts seem to violate posting guidelines. Rule 4.1 for plagiarism and rule 6.1 for spam specifically. Can and should we report these kinds of posts? Personnally I really think we'd all profit as a community if there was a steeper barrier to entry for new posts; especially the spam ones, but I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Thank you for reading my rant
Suspicious Stoo
Level 56 : Grandmaster Llama

Create an account or sign in to comment.

05/19/2021 9:27 pm
Level 18 : Journeyman Network
Gamenight999474
Well it’s not spam, but close to it
05/15/2021 1:03 am
Level 20 : Expert Explorer
MidasDaEpik
Agreed its OP loot packs are just absolute nonsense maybe some of them should stay up like the ones that replace whole structures or the ones that use more functions but the small ones that do one thing or just seem to be something you could make in a few mins should be taken down.
05/14/2021 11:56 pm
Level 57 : Grandmaster Procrastinator
ProfTechnic
The saddest thing, look at the "Best" section. They're almost all have the same feel of low-effort garbage.
Of course I'm not saying they're all low-effort garbage, just some of them are, in my opinion.
05/14/2021 11:42 pm
Level 1 : New Crafter
Dumbsparce
If I have to look at another crafting recipe for saddles I will go insane. The crafting recipe ones have to go down at least, and honestly the datapacks that literally just change the loot tables of like, granite, into 64 god apples can go too. Of course, this is mainly a symptom of there not being enough accessible resources on making good datapacks. Everybody wants cool world gen and interesting MMORPG systems but the videos on how to even make these stuff are either hidden, lacking, or outdated. I shouldn't have to scrape the underside of a discord server to find out how to make cool trees generate.
04/17/2021 6:45 pm
Level 18 : Journeyman Network
Gamenight999474
I agree and wow no people are ranting about how OP loot if fun for videos and trolling (even though it is not)
04/01/2021 1:53 pmhistory
Level 39 : Artisan Fox
_Rewe
I agree. I have also seen sooo many packs with X drops OP loot in the last days. If I would install all these packs, everything in Minecraft would drop OP loot
04/17/2021 5:53 am
Level 39 : Artisan Fox
_Rewe
And every day there are new OP loot packs. More and more.
04/16/2021 4:09 pm
Level 32 : Artisan Musician
string cheese
agreed, also op loot packs just kinda take all the fun out of survival.
04/01/2021 10:23 am
Level 58 : Grandmaster Birb
Amrith Erilaz
I’ve most certainly noticed this as well.

One way to rectify this would be to add a filter that screens for packs containing only loot tables and/or recipes.
04/01/2021 8:18 am
Level 41 : Master Blockhead
Almond Cheese
i agree.
04/01/2021 8:05 am
Level 1 : New Explorer
RooRoo224u
I agree too.
04/01/2021 7:31 am
Level 46 : Master Fish
Flashbulb
I agree. All these recipe and easy loot table datapacks swarm the datapack section. There should be a way to keep them to a minimum.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome