WARNING - Password Stealing Servers

Matty__994's Avatar Matty__9944/30/12 12:49 pm
1 emeralds 1.4k 5
4/30/2012 4:46 pm
Matty__994's Avatar Matty__994
One of the servers i go on (CityCraft Build) just got completely griefed, which is all fixed, no worries, but it happened because one of the admins went onto a sketchy server, they logged his password, went on his account and op'd themself on build and griefed it, banned everyone who was on, and just had their fun. As stated before, it's all been fixed, we know who it was, we got their IP's, and to prevent this, don't go onto a server you don't own/know what it is, cause there's possibly a plugin out there logging peoples passwords some how, and that's how alot of people get hacked.

So please, be careful.

Origional post from burelol on citycraft forums

Matty__994
Level 16 : Journeyman Hunter

Create an account or sign in to comment.

04/30/2012 4:46 pm
Matty__994
Thanks guys
04/30/2012 4:44 pm
Level 6 : Apprentice Engineer
lilboosieba
Yes, people have attempted to do this on my server. They simply get on, and ask someone that is op to try out there server to make sure it works. When they get on and directly ask an op, the best thing to do is simply tell them no. Also be sure to warn all others that are op on your servers. Hope this helps.
04/30/2012 4:43 pm
Level 29 : Expert Miner
TylerDecker
That is not Valid because of the following,

1) Bukkit.org would NEVER allow a plugin like that on a server.

2) Second, who even installs that plugin is pretty stupid, since you can do "/pl" or "/plugins ?" and you could see ALL the plugins the server has if they didnt block them.

and 3) Im sure there is a Notification when you log into a server, making it pretty possible to see/catch it, making players leaving the server and giving bad reviews of it.

Also, the server members that "Griefed" the server you played on, probably just hacked his account, and logged into his server and griefed it.

Anymore questions, just PM me
04/30/2012 4:40 pm
Matty__994
Thanks, i believe bukkit is fixing this now.
04/30/2012 4:35 pm
Level 88 : Elite Scapegoat
Paril
The only method of gaining OP on other servers that I'm aware of is a session-stealing exploit; they wouldn't have gotten your actual password, though. But yeah, the best way to avoid it is to not visit servers that you're not familiar with, at least until the vulnerability is patched.

-P
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome