We Need To DO Something

Spygron's Avatar Spygron1/22/19 9:29 am history
32 emeralds 3.5k 141
3/8/2019 3:49 pm
Azie's Avatar Azie
All across the world, disaster is striking relentlessly.

Global Warming, Plastic Pollution, Animals having their habitats destroyed.

The Animals Themselves are being slaughtered mercilessly, and even domesticated pets are being abused.

WE are the cause of this mess, and we need to fix this.

It can be done in a few simple ways each day.

Don't litter, and pick up garbage when you see it outside.

Start using green fuels in cars and other vehicles.

Be kind to your pets and the animals of nature when you see them.

Don't tear up forests or destroy land-- there are countless animals that will have nowhere to Go.

So please- Help me make the world a better place--for all of us.
Why is there a poll?
The poll is here so you can vote on what is the biggest problem on Earth currently
Spygron
Level 49 : Master Narwhal

Create an account or sign in to comment.

03/08/2019 3:49 pm
Level 58 : Grandmaster Grump
Azie
Due to some inappropriate and pretty disturbing comments from certain users on this thread, I've decided to lock this. Promoting suicide/genocide as a solution to world issues is not something we can allow on our site.
03/03/2019 7:25 pm
Level 8 : Apprentice Architect
JimmyDaRat
Honestly when you look at today, from Elon seeing the deer in the pool to the man surviving a wild animal attack by stangling it. WE are nature's cruel form of natural selection. We may have sentience, but we can't stop what natural created us to do, exterminate.
03/01/2019 1:08 pm
Level 3 : Apprentice Explorer
Victimgurl
Nature is being plowed over and fields and forests are being replaced by suburbs and skylines. I don't like it. One day all of the green will be gone.
03/03/2019 7:18 pm
Level 53 : Grandmaster Architect
LightlySaltedBuilder
I don't think the green would really disappear. People like plants,trees, and grass, and you still have a lot of green in suburbs. Can't say about natural forests though, I guess you would still have national parks.
02/27/2019 1:01 pm
Level 4 : Apprentice Farmer
BabyBlueberry
I personally think our treatment of wild animals is our biggest problem. We still have chances to try to slow down or reverse the effects of global warming and pollution, but we can't bring an extinct species back to life.

I think the best way to combat these issues is to educate native people. This is my biggest example due to things like the ivory trade, where natives see ivory as being a material with magical healing powers. To stop the slaughter of elephant and rhinos, teach them at ivory is literally just a material! Worst case scenario, if we can't convince them, stop encouraging people to kill elephants and rhinos, and instead direct them to old mammoth remains. The mammoths are already dead, and I support their tusks being scavenged; we already have plenty of mammoth skeletons and specimens in history museums, so there's no need to preserve them anymore, imo.
03/03/2019 7:23 pm
LightlySaltedBuilder
I don't think it was the natives that saw it as magical, if I remember it was the buyers from Asia.

Also, I think if you really wanted to fix it, you would need to provide other ways for poachers to make money. The reason they kill animals for ivory is because they need money, and that's what gets them money. But, if there were better ways to make money, then poaching wouldn't really seem like an option anymore, and most people would stop doing it. Of course it would still help if people stopped believing it had healing properties, but I think the root of the problem is just that poaching makes good money for the people doing it.
03/07/2019 4:55 pm
Level 4 : Apprentice Farmer
BabyBlueberry
I've heard that same argument from drug dealers. There's plenty of ways to make money, but they won't settle for minimum wage. You can't pay people a lot for nothing. The poachers are the problem, I see no reasons to coddle them.
02/27/2019 4:53 pm
Spygron
Wonderful ideas! I will definitely use them when I start my organization...
02/23/2019 4:29 pm
Level 60 : High Grandmaster Prince
fire emblem man yes
let's be honest there are lots of pretty major issues with the attitude we've had since the industrial revolution regarding resources, and we've reached the very edge of being able to reverse it sensibly.

I think Global Warming is the bigger issue because it is more of an effect of all of our other failings rather than something we've directly done. Plastic Pollution is due to our overuse of oil for many things without consideration for the fact that oil is only produced over thousands of years, and in turn our burning of oil and coal is part of the reason for Global Warming.
It's not necessarily that humanity is evil or that we've had poor intentions, it's just we didn't think of what could happen. That's the real failing of the human race

but hey this is a minecraft website so
02/23/2019 5:02 pm
Spygron
whyyyy another one of these 'This is a minecraft site' people....this isn't just a minecraft site :(
02/24/2019 3:31 am
Level 60 : High Grandmaster Prince
fire emblem man yes
It is called Planet Minecraft, and facilitates the uploading of content relating to Minecraft.

Unless you want to pull the connection from Planet but hey

Also there was a whole paragraph above that Minecraft bit but clearly the incomplete sentence at the end was the important part.
02/26/2019 3:50 pm
This reply was removed by the poster or a moderator.
02/26/2019 9:29 pm
LightlySaltedBuilder
It doesn't, but if a site is called Planet Minecraft, I don't think it's rude to expect people to stick to talking about Minecraft.
02/21/2019 8:44 pm
02/21/2019 8:58 pm
02/25/2019 5:24 pm
Level 42 : Master Architect
TNHo
But I'm a young human being, does that means I have to die?! 😲 No No NO NO NO!!!! A better idea is alot of the population going off to colonize other planets.
02/25/2019 5:29 pm
Spygron
not what i meant....either that, or just let everyone die natural deaths and have them stop reproducing
02/22/2019 7:07 pm
Level 30 : Artisan Toast
mouse36
humans are pretty tasty
02/22/2019 10:42 pm
Level 6 : Apprentice Princess
Dexe
lmao relatable
02/22/2019 9:32 pm
Spygron
um no....we can't eat them
02/23/2019 8:28 am
mouse36
I mean their souls
02/25/2019 5:30 pm
Spygron
D:
02/22/2019 2:52 am
Level 25 : Expert Architect
Lohrrna
Humanity has the potential to achieve great things. But for now, humanity is like a child, humanity makes thousands of mistakes and learns from these mistakes. We should not waste its potential.
02/21/2019 11:14 pm
Level 76 : Legendary Programmer
legopitstop
Too many forknife player and clickbait
02/22/2019 6:49 am
Spygron
hm...
02/21/2019 5:28 pm
Level 48 : Master Answer
Makaneek
i'd say it's terrorism
02/21/2019 10:45 pm
Level 25 : Expert Mage
Princessbookbear
Don't litter
02/21/2019 7:37 pm
Level 31 : Artisan Explorer
adg155
Lol actually i'm the one who abuse my own dog cuz my dog also abuse me
02/21/2019 8:59 pm
Spygron
hissss
02/21/2019 8:19 pm
mouse36
you little ...

... I don't know, unripe carrot?
02/21/2019 8:29 pm
Level 31 : Artisan Explorer
adg155
well you should know my dog bit me like 16 times? and i slap him in the butt like also 16 times xD
02/22/2019 12:43 am
Level 42 : Master Taco
spychicken123
the fact that tseries is close to passing pewdiepie
02/19/2019 4:11 pm
Level 38 : Artisan Artist
Antiquez
The more we try to do something about it, the worse it gets :P
02/21/2019 8:19 pm
mouse36
:(
02/19/2019 11:46 am
Level 48 : Master Magical Boy
videogamer1002
bruh global warming is on some fakeass shit
02/19/2019 11:48 am
Spygron
sigh.....are you saying it's fake? BECAUSE ITS NOT AND ALL OF YOU PEOPLE WHO KEEP SAYING IT IS JUST STOP ALREADY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
02/26/2019 4:22 pm
Level 31 : Artisan Robot
DeluxeStudios
Instead of putting in all caps "NO ITS NOT" maybe make an argument, global warming is real, I have seen it myself.
But people who don't think it exists want an argument.
02/19/2019 11:53 am
Level 57 : Grandmaster Engineer
ShelLuser
Yes, shouting is really going to help get your point across.

Thing is: if you look at your history books you'll see that climate change really isn't a modern thing. Most continents and most areas have seen major extremes over the centuries, from tropical climates to Arctic conditions.

But those are topics which some people don't like to hear, even if you can proof this based on facts, and insist that it's the humans who are responsible.

In the end the major problem is that most people think in absolutes and extremist measures, which obviously will result in resistance from people disagreeing. And then you'll get heated arguments which I personally refer to as "pissing contents" (I hope this expression is allowed, if not I won't repeat it) because in the end it's all about "who is right" instead of "how can we come to a mutual acceptable solution".

And the key to that is to listen to every opinion, even if you don't agree with them, without trying to ridicule or ignore it up front. And that's a courtesy more and more people seem to lack these days, with the obvious results.
02/24/2019 3:57 am
Level 34 : Artisan Archer
Kwanatla
This is so true. If everyone wouldn't be so self focused, even selfish or greedy, the world would already be a better place.
02/19/2019 11:49 am
videogamer1002
bro could you mind your capital letters please? the shift button is to be used sparingly, and bruh thats just my opinion man
02/22/2019 2:55 am
Level 25 : Expert Architect
Lohrrna
Just your opinion ? Have you ever heard of FACTS ?
02/19/2019 3:25 pmhistory
Level 1 : New Miner
Dulciphi
Why "do something" when we can just sit there and profess that we need to do something while actually doing NOTHING helpful at all?

This is actually the greatest disaster of all, by the way. The way we do something is by doing something. Actually do it yourself. Then talk about what you're doing with others. Let them see that your contribution actually makes a contribution and isn't just signalling false virtue (or, worse, your own neurosis).

It's so easy to make a video showing images of suffering and then upload it to youtube and pretend you've helped to solve a problem. It's even easier to watch that video and then yell at others and make a poll online.

It's much MUCH harder to actually make a contribution that lessens real suffering without creating even more suffering in the process. And that's one of the great tragedies in all of this. Things aren't as certain and clear cut as we'd like them to be. And that's coming from someone who learned that the hard way.

The challenge is that when you begin to act on a problem, you also begin to understand the problem. And why is that a problem? Well because the problem so often turns out to be nothing like the problem you thought it was. Quite often, we find that the "solution" we expected to help actually makes things worse. And things can get so much worse. The upside to that is that they can also get so much better but only if we go about it the right way. Learn about it. That doesn't mean "feel about it". It also doesn't mean choose what you want to believe and then repeat it to others. Get to know the subject.

The greatest problem out of those you listed is a combination of 2, 4 and 5. They're all a part of the same problem and you can't fix it just by shouting at people to check their human privilege.

Number 2 is absurd, sorry. I DON'T recommend you go and lecture a komodo dragon on its cruelty and "abusement" of its prey. Animals are simply trying to survive, just like us (no surprises there. We're animals, too).

The problem with habitat destruction and degradation of the ecosystem is that it wrecks life's ability to adapt by moving to another area. It creates habitat islands and the species are stuck in those islands. So, when the climate changes (and Earth's climate has changed much more rapidly in the past), species are unable to migrate to areas with more favourable conditions for them.

The oil industry (which is where plastics come from) is one of the key contributors to habitat destruction, by the way. It has very little to do with climate but it has a huge impact nonetheless. Work on combating that habitat destruction and you will be making a big difference for the better of the whole planet.

Start local, learn how to document your efforts so others can learn from your experience and, most of all, don't give up. It won't be easy but nothing worth doing ever is.
02/21/2019 8:20 pm
mouse36
existential crisis
02/19/2019 3:36 pm
Spygron
Thank you :). I will be starting an organization sometime, when I can um, well...actually start it, but for now I will start figuring out ways to solve problems, then I think we could all follow ideas and work together to make the world a better place :)
02/18/2019 1:18 pm
Level 57 : Grandmaster Lad
Romto_
tax evasion
02/19/2019 11:48 am
videogamer1002
taxation is theft
02/19/2019 2:13 pm
Level 57 : Grandmaster Lad
Romto_
I see where you're coming from but if we are talking about a fair world I see taxation as a way to help people in need.
A gov has a responsibility to take care of it's people. Taxation is a way to to get money from the people so it can be distributed to people in need or to all. the problem is that a lot of big corparations are evading taxes. this isn't fair to the average person. think of all the things that could actually be achieved if tax evasion wasn't happening. Base income could be a thing, improved healthcare. but Instead we have big companies or rich individuals keeping all the money for themselfs.

I'm not saying if tax evation didn't exist it will all be great. but it will atleast be fair for the average person.
02/18/2019 12:48 pm
Level 21 : Expert Network
WungaWunga
I chose other. Although humans are definitely damaging this planet, I’m not buying global warming. My reasons: 1) even though there’s massive coverage on the issue by the major media outlets (which, keep in mind, are all owned by a select few, highly manipulative people), there’s no serious effort (besides protests, lots of talk, and “summits” that only serve to make us feel better) to avoid such a calamity. If global warming was an imminent threat, I doubt even the most corrupt government officials would bake themselves alive just to enjoy some extra $. 2) climate “scientists” have been caught manipulating data to fit their agenda (1). Why wouldn’t they? No global warming = less opportunity to get paid for “climate research.” If there’s no such thing as global warming (or, at least, it’s not nearly as relevant as they make it sound), environmental scientists might lose their jobs! 3) assuming their data is real (highly doubtful, considering it’s their jobs to fabricate global warming), after 140 years we’ve only seen a shaky 1.3 degree increase in temp. Even if that’s caused by humans (again, highly doubtful), while it would definitely be a problem, that’s probably not going to be the worst problem humanity has on its plate. In the end, I think nuclear waste we’re creating to make our energy and our WMDs is the world’s most serious problem. Already, the damage will last for millions of years, and it’s already leaking out of its containers way earlier than expected! Cleaner energy is thhe first step to a cleaner future.
02/18/2019 12:52 pm
Level 21 : Expert Network
WungaWunga
My source: Here. I know, it’s Wikipedia, so it’s definitely not the best source. The introduction, in particular, is pretty well-soaked in bias. Just scroll down and take a look at what actually took place and make your own observations; don’t rely on Wikipedia to make your conclusions for you.
02/18/2019 5:21 pm
Level 39 : Artisan Fish
CHorse
Ooooohhhhh boyyy do we got a thing to deal with here xD

Ok firstly 1: well, there are some efforts, the best though we can do is prevention, which currently we're working on alternative energy sources, but progress is slow due to oil industries basically wanting to screw everything over. They killed the electric car back in the day no reason they won't do everything to stop em nowadays. Also, the summits are just to try and agree that 'hey guys can we not make our place so screwed?' And also you'd be surprised rly :L A lot of people are like you in the higher ups; even if it really is gonna happen A: they wouldn't believe it til they are ded and B: they'd probably die before the effects hit hard, so why not milk those last few years for money?

2: Yeah, 'climate' 'scientists'. Look, this one's obvious xD If you use air quotes to disown them then in most cases, they're probably not good climate scientists at all. Don't listen to em; twas a one time thing and actually, if I remember correctly that entire situation was a bit misframed more on that later.
  -Oh we're pulling the 'why wouldn't they?' card are we? xD Well, think about it, math is wrong, I mean, why wouldn't they lie about math to make us pay for more money? I bet those darned insurance companies lie about how much it really costs, and so does the bank! I mean, why wouldn't they lie? They can take your money like that, and the government is helping them because why wouldn't they?

3: Yeah, well let's see, it's taken bout thousands of years to go up that amount, and we managed to do it in what? 140 years. and also, surprisingly 1.3 degrees is a lot. There's a certain kind of jellyfish that in 1 more degree will die off. That doesn't sound like too much, but if I remember correctly from my professors, 2 more degrees and florida goes bye bye. Eh, we didn't need it anyways. Also, it will increase pollution related deaths (cuz carbon emissions) and also the pentagon says it'll probably increase terrorism. Also more on that later. And yeah I also agree with you, not exactly our WORST problem rn, I kinda think men with nukes ain't good and yeah cleaner energy's neat but y'know, global warming still needs to be kept an eye on. Even if it'll take 40-100 years to happen.

Most of this info is from professors and things I read, so if you want proof I can go fetch it all. Also, if you are feeling like reading into that thing you mentioned about people manipulating data, you should probably check out "Not A Scientist" it's a pretty good book that points out flaws in logic over scientific topics. Anyways, have a good day! :D
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome