What cable do i need for this? [Please help...]

PookieSK's Avatar PookieSK12/29/14 6:11 am
12/29/2014 1:35 pm
HassanPCMR's Avatar HassanPCMR
Hey. So i'm going to add my second screen soon but i need a cable that fits this port.
But i don't know what kind of port it is and it can't be found anywhere.
(the occupied one on the left is VGA)
If anyone knows please comment
PookieSK
Level 16 : Journeyman Network

Create an account or sign in to comment.

12/29/2014 1:35 pm
Level 28 : Expert Pirate
HassanPCMR
what about hdmi to hdmi if i understand what you just said...
12/29/2014 1:31 pm
PookieSK
Ok so the plan now:
I'm gonna plug in the current VGA to VGA cable from my second smaller screen to my pc.
And since i will have to buy a second cable anyways i can choose between:
VGA to HDMI
VGA to DVI
DVI to DVI and
DVI to HDMI.

Which one of the 4 will do best for a widescreen?
(I have the DVI and HDMI ports free and and the VGA and HDMI ports on my monitor)
12/29/2014 12:43 pm
Level 40 : Master Architect
nammerbom
i would get HDMI for your larger samsung monitor, assuming its 1920x1080, you'll be much better off using that than a DVI cable
12/29/2014 12:25 pm
Level 29 : Expert Engineer
48productions
_CreeperGirl
My main screen (left one) (Samsung 22" around 150$) is connected through VGA but cán be connected through DVI too.
The right one (LG 4:3 20" screen which i got for free) can be connected through VGA only.
My processor has a DVI and HDMI left free which are both connected to my Nvidia graphics card.
So VGA to VGA isn't possible. Neither is HDMI to HDMI.
VGA to HDMI and VGA to DVI are my only options then.

I don't see why you couldn't just connect the main screen to the DVI port and the other monitor to the VGA port (Provided I understand your setup). You can also change the settings on your PC to make the DVI monitor the main one.
12/29/2014 11:36 am
PookieSK

My main screen (left one) (Samsung 22" around 150$) is connected through VGA but cán be connected through DVI too.
The right one (LG 4:3 20" screen which i got for free) can be connected through VGA only.
My processor has a DVI and HDMI left free which are both connected to my Nvidia graphics card.
So VGA to VGA isn't possible. Neither is HDMI to HDMI.
VGA to HDMI and VGA to DVI are my only options then.
Yes i am planning to buy an DVI to VGA cable once i find one in a store in my country.
(Amazon doesn't deliver to The Netherlands)

Sorry my desk is quite messy with all the cables. We're moving soon so i don't hide them untill we moved.
12/29/2014 11:24 am
Level 9 : Apprentice Explorer
supernotch893
The leftmost plug is VGA. That's only there for legacy support, or if you have a cheapo sub-$100 monitor (like I do), but even they have a DVI-D plug, which is the one in the middle. DVI is capable of higher resolutions than VGA (and sometimes a higher refresh rate, but that never matters unless you use an older CRT display). HDMI is the newest of the 3 standerds, but is only capable of widescreen resolutions only. So, if you don't have a widescreen monitor, do NOT use HDMI. Although, if you want to, you can use a DVI-HDMI adapter, but that'll cost ya. So, DVI-D cable for middle plug, HDMI for right plug.
12/29/2014 10:48 am
Level 40 : Master Architect
nammerbom
Yes, on the right is the DVI which is a slow cable, whats plugged in is a blue VGA cable and on the far right is, like said above, an HDMI cable.

Are you just wondering this or are you planning to buy a new one? Because your computer should be working fine without both of those cables if you plugged your VGA into your monitor

Oh, you should also screw in your VGA cable so it doesn't get pulled out
12/29/2014 9:43 am
Level 47 : Master Cowboy
Chron
On the left is a DVI port, and on the right is a HDMI. I recommend using the HDMI port due to being a lot newer, and somewhat better quality. Yeah, they don't make many DVI cables anymore, but you can find VGA to DVI converters quite easily.
12/29/2014 9:42 am
PookieSK
anyone ?
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome