What is data packs biggest weakness?

Raandom's Avatar Raandom9/12/21 11:40 am history
4 emeralds 1.5k 33
9/17/2021 9:59 pm
HoboMaggot's Avatar HoboMaggot
Data packs are wonderful, giving us near or even parallel to a modded minecraft experience. But the more you play with them, the more you see its limits, issues, and how you wish to just go back to mods.
I'm fairly new to data packs, since I left minecraft for a long time and returned earlier this year. I've seen it for a while...

Why am I even writing this its late. Vote on the poll on what you think data pack's biggest weakness, or comment if its missing.
Also dont vote any mobs on minecraft live your bound to upset someone.

Adding some explanation from my comments..

Installation
The only way to install without needing to open your saves folder is during world creation. And if you want to use the same pack in every world you have to enjoy doing the exact same thing over and over again.

Custom items/blocks/ui/entity
Custom blocks will lag your game if you place a lot of them, custom crafting is done via knowledge book (better than a long time ago). GUI are limited. Entity animation made from multiple entities.The fact that these aren't actually real and is done via workarounds make them limited and not ideal.

Bugs
I'm not referring to the pack dev's bugs (though that perspective is fine), I'm referring to what devs can't fix, and Mojang wouldn't (yet) care. If you join starmute discord (creator of terralith, incendium, and nullscape) there are bugs that he can't fix. Like how every world with terralith have a set seed, and adding new biomes for updates may break existing worlds, etc.

THANK YOU SO MUCH TO EVERYONE WHO PARTICIPATED!

Honestly its not much, I just want to confirm my view. And well, it kinda got debunked! I thought people care about installation and, "multi-world support" as better worded by WildcraftMC. I was just having a night ranting about DPs, which led to this post. To end this, here are the comments which contain issues/flaw/weakness that was not in the poll. I'm not going to comment on them.

WildcraftMC: "Lack of configurable function"
ADHCOX: "OP loot data-packs are data-pack's biggest weakness"garlicbreathinator: "The biggest weakness is that we don't have real variables in our code"
Flynecraft: "its annoying that you cant modify player data"
SUPERIONtheKnight: "I think their biggest weakness lies in the fact that on the technical level, you don't have as much freedom as you would with creating a mod"

Let's hope Mojang will do something... hmm...
Coincidentally, my data pack is done! Now, how do I present it attractively...

Poll ended 09/15/2021 11:40 am.

Raandom
Level 16 : Journeyman Blueberry

Create an account or sign in to comment.

09/15/2021 8:47 pm
Level 48 : Master Technomancer
Da_Trixta
The fun part though is that everybody is constantly trying to make better and more efficient workarounds. It's basically the same as how Modding started up.

But Mojang is fixing most of the issues you brought up anyway
09/17/2021 9:59 pm
Level 52 : Grandmaster Blob
HoboMaggot
That's the life of modding unfortunately
09/15/2021 10:37 am
Level 60 : High Grandmaster Baconator
cookedporkbacon
Another big weakness is we can't modify player data.
09/15/2021 8:29 pm
Level 52 : Grandmaster Blob
HoboMaggot
btw if you guys want to now why, Dinnerbone has posted a comment abt it here
https://www.reddit.com/r/MinecraftCommands/comments/9ty42s/data_modify_is_irritating_me_today/e91rwc7/
09/17/2021 7:22 pm
Level 60 : High Grandmaster Baconator
cookedporkbacon
Yeah, I've seen that thread before. He has a point, but it's still annoying
09/15/2021 9:45 am
Level 59 : Grandmaster Wisp
WildCraftMC
The main flaw I have seen with most data packs are the lack of configurable functions. Multi world support is almost none existent in the 50+ packs I've tested in 1.17.1 alone.
09/14/2021 3:53 pm
Level 54 : Grandmaster Senpai
ADHCOX
Personally I think OP loot data-packs are data-pack's biggest weakness.
09/15/2021 4:06 amhistory
Level 61 : High Grandmaster Senpai
YokaiS
personally i don't like to even consider them to be datapacks (though by definition it is, obviously)
09/15/2021 9:19 am
Level 59 : Grandmaster Nerd
Pleasenotme
I consider them data packs the way I consider stale poisoned cockroaches food. Barely.
09/15/2021 10:37 am
Level 21 : Expert Cake
THCDPRO
XD
09/15/2021 5:06 am
ADHCOX
Well said, I agree!
09/15/2021 9:10 am
ADHCOX
I think I just changed my vote and, in doing so, the entire outcome of this poll.
09/13/2021 9:46 am
Level 31 : Artisan Engineer
garlicbreathinator
The biggest weakness is that we don't have real variables in our code, so we need to use all kinds of inefficient workarounds to simulate variables with scoreboards and nbt. If we were able to actually use variables outside of those contexts (for tp coordinates, for example) the game would be a lot easier and more efficient to work with. Also, we don't have good ways to get player input.
09/15/2021 2:23 am
Pleasenotme
True, these would be soooo useful.
09/13/2021 9:17 am
Pleasenotme
I wouldn't say installation is a large problem when compared to mods, because mods require you to restart Minecraft every time you want to install a new mod.
09/13/2021 3:35 amhistory
YokaiS
I don't think that the "biggest weakness" would be any of the above, but rather the limitations we have in general in datapack making. You can't make actual custom blocks/items, setting up custom crafting is more complicated than how you would do it with a mod, etc.
09/13/2021 6:30 amhistory
Raandom
But there is an option in the poll regarding custom blocks/entity/items. If it the weakness vote it. It's not "not there"
09/14/2021 3:41 pm
YokaiS
That option wasn’t there when I commented
09/15/2021 2:06 amhistory
Raandom
It was, if it wasn't it would've reset. I didn't even modify the "installation" option to have more explanation. Instead I commented, which was the first comment.
Nvm, sorry if I seem rude and thanks for voting, I needed to know this stuff.
09/13/2021 9:04 am
Level 50 : Grandmaster Wizard
Flyrr
Yes, you can bypass some of the limits (custom blocks, custom entitys, custom items) BUT i doing the same thing using mods would be easier (im not a modder but i think this is true)
09/13/2021 9:58 am
Raandom
I meant the poll, there's an option to vote it
09/13/2021 10:14 am
Flyrr
ah okay lol
09/12/2021 8:07 pm
Level 52 : Grandmaster Musician
Redrooey
Honestly there are so many things wrong with datapacks.
- you can't change the obsidian/magma level for underwater caves
- can't make biome depth too deep or it goes nuts
- deepslate level can't be changed (locked at -1)
- ore veins cannot be changed (always copper ore/granite or deepslate iron ore/tuff
- can't add custom brewing recipes or villager trades
- cloud level cannot be changed for worldgen (locked at 128, or 192 in 1.18)
- sometimes the terrain generation just breaks

And the biggest problem:
- Can't add NBT data to crafting output
09/13/2021 10:20 am
Level 4 : Apprentice Warrior
hellopurple
The problems I have with datapacks is the limitations, but it's still better than nothing.
09/12/2021 1:35 pm
Level 29 : Expert Engineer
SUPERIONtheKnight
Just to let you know, I am very biased as you might can tell from my profile page.

With that said, I partially agree that the installation process could be better. Mods will work between worlds, while datapacks will not. It would be much better if there were some menu to download your datapacks to, then easily be able to add/remove a datapack from a world using said menu.
However if you look past that, datapack installation is arguably much easier than installing a mod for the very reason you just brought up. They can be installed in game while creating a world. If I wanted to download/install a mod, I will probably have to first download/install a mod loader, to only then be able to get the mod working. It's not very difficult to install a mod, but to someone who has never used a mod before, a datapack might be more appealing as there are less steps.

I'm not sure how resource packs are a problem, unless you mean the fact that they are separate? If you mean they are separate, then I completely agree. It would be much more ideal if they could be packaged together.

What do you mean regarding "custom items/block/ui/entity"? I don't see this stuff very often, but when I do it's often of excellent quality. Perhaps you are simply referring to the lack of these? If so, I agree there need to be more.

Regarding bugs, this is always going to be an issue whether you play with a mod, or a datapack. If there's a lot of major bugs, then that might say more about the quality of said mod/datapack more than it does mods/datapacks in general.

Ultimately, I don't think any of these are a datapacks *biggest weakness*. Actually, I think their biggest weakness lies in the fact that on the technical level, you don't have as much freedom as you would with creating a mod. This doesn't mean that datapacks can't do the things that a mod can do, but rather that you have to be more creative with your solutions. There will however always be something mods can do, that datapacks just can't. Best example that comes to mind demonstrating what I'm talking about are client side mods like optifine. They do an amazing job with improving the games performance! Datapacks can try to do this by removing entities or something from the world, but they can never look into the actual code of a client, and improve performance like a mod can.

That is at least, my opinion on the matter. :)
09/12/2021 5:38 pm
Raandom
Custom blocks will lag your game if you place a lot of them, custom crafting is done via knowledge book (better than a long time ago). GUI are limited. Entity animation made from multiple entities.
The fact that these aren't actually real and is done via workarounds make them limited and not ideal.

For bugs, I'm not referring to the pack dev's bugs (though that perspective is fine), I'm referring to what devs can't fix, and Mojang wouldn't (yet) care. If you join starmute discord (creator of terralith, incendium, and nullscape) there are bugs that he can't fix. Like how every world with terralith have a set seed, and adding new biomes for updates may break existing worlds, etc.
09/12/2021 7:08 pm
Level 29 : Expert Engineer
SUPERIONtheKnight
Some very good points! Now that I know what you are talking about, I completely agree! I will say though that the worldgen features that datapacks have are experimental. This means that Mojang is still working on it, and lots of stuff could change at any moment!

I actually haven't messed with worldgen all that much, so I haven't heard about seeds being locked like that, but it does make sense for sure! This does sound like something that could get added though and not treated like NBT for custom crafting recipes. Right Mojang!?! Right Mojang???... Mojang?... Hello?.....
09/13/2021 2:31 am
Level 23 : Expert Pirate
Vofes
Bugs is weakness
Vofes
It can corrupt a world if error
Vofes
Like it did to my aternos server
09/13/2021 6:30 am
Raandom
Pain
09/12/2021 2:08 pm
Flyrr
I dont see THAT big in a problem in one of that points…
but its annoying that you cant modify player data :/
09/12/2021 12:08 pm
Raandom
Don't want to reset the vote so I'm explaining installation issue here.
The only way to install without needing to open your saves folder is during world creation. And if you want to use the same pack in every world you have to enjoy doing the exact same thing over and over again.
That's why this post exist.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome