Forumskeyboard_arrow_right PMC keyboard_arrow_right Discussion

Create Forum Thread

What's the difference between Forums and Wall Posts?

1 emeralds9 replies130 views
created 07/18/2019 7:13 am by MrDEmentorFace
last reply 07/31/2019 2:07 pm
Recently I've been wondering what the difference between Wall Posts and Forums are. So it would be really helpful if you could tell me the difference between them.
Thanks
Posted by avatar
MrDEmentorFace
Level 9 : Apprentice Pig

comment Login or register to post a reply.

9 replies

07/31/2019 6:27 am
Level 23 : Expert Blockhead
Nitwick
Because I like to type even though the answer's given threefold,

Forums, broadly, are for discussion. Wall posts are your own little mini-twitter feed, not designed to have much depth.
07/18/2019 4:42 pm
Level 53 : Grandmaster Grump
Azie
The forum is sorted into different sections based on topic to facilitate discussions on different topics. Forum posts also generate a small amount of account experience because other users can emerald posts they feel contribute to the forum in a constructive or fun way.

Wall posts are places for people to post blurbs about things they're thinking, feeling, or doing in a general space. These posts are not sorted into categories and do not generate account experience.
07/18/2019 7:21 am
Level 30 : Artisan Vampire
Shady_Warlock
forums are specifically themed to something to encourage group discussion or display an event, while wall posts are random thoughts or single things individuals want to share, or for some to display their weird sense of humor
07/18/2019 3:09 pm
Level 9 : Apprentice Pig
MrDEmentorFace
thx
07/18/2019 3:17 pm
Level 25 : Expert Robot
_Phrozenbit_
Forums are best suited as a platform to have discussions on. It's very structured and there's good oversight. Forum boards can be set up in a way using categories and forums, that way all is neatly organized. About 15 years ago these forum boards were very popular and one of the very few ways you could have discussions / share things. Forums do require more effort and the old use of forums have died a bit, usage isn't the same as it was 15 years ago. These days Discord / skype is just used because it's 'more easy to use' for quick conversations, we all have whatsapp insta twitter Facebook nowadays.

Wallposts are there to share random things on mostly, you can have a discussion in comments on a wallpost but it gets chaotic very fast because you can't easily keep track of who has said what and in what order.
07/31/2019 6:29 am
Nitwick
Skype at this rate really shouldn't be considered as a factor (gone very downhill along a similar track as forums) but the rest is fairly solid. IRC chats were around at the time, but being clunky didn't help them out for usage. Once chats got good? Well, enter discord and, on a similar track, the 'instant gratification' social media platforms.
07/31/2019 11:40 am
_Phrozenbit_
IRC isn't clunky, works perfectly fine. You need to know how IRC servers and clients works. It takes more knowledge and effort to set up a IRC server and connect a client to it, something I don't have a problem with. And since it's a protocol it won't die, it's still being used to this day in fact.

Skype works perfectly fine for me, hasn't gone downhill. It has been made simpler that it was before, takes some getting used to. Skype can be glitchy, if you have skype logged in on both your phone and laptop/pc it crashes sometimes, but then I just close skype on my phone and it works perfectly.
07/31/2019 12:07 pm
Nitwick
I'm not sure you understand my intent. A large part of forum unpopularity came from how primitive and mediocre the earliest IRC platforms were. That said, a platform like discord does and will always have priority over a homebrew IRC platform, which is typically what the term references.

Skype works perfectly fine for you, great. It's also vastly unpopular in gaming, lacking in basic functions a platform like Discord has long taken over, and has been strongly unseated as the thing people ask for when you join servers by an extremely large margin. Skype hasn't gone bad any more than forums have, and yet for similar reasons, both are simply not used much in gaming communities. Skype does retain a capable business following and serves basic communication purposes for a good audience of people, but beyond that - not much else.
07/31/2019 2:07 pm
_Phrozenbit_
I do understand your intent, for young gamers it's all about ease of use, software that requires the least amount of effort / troubleshooting to make it go, which in turn results in software that's most popular (everyone uses it because it's pretty and easy to use). These days, if it's not 'pretty' and 'does require any effort' to make it go it doesn't become popular among gamers, which is fine though. Gamers usually won't go about setting up servers and configuring IRC servers, gamers play games. So in that sense I can agree with your arguments.. however

You also don't understand my intent. Allow me to clear that up a bit. I've been chatting online when MSN wasn't a thing, when AIM was the most popular in the US. Over here in Europe pretty much the only thing we had for online chat was IRC-based web applications that didn't even require a login/password and was all in plain HTTP, without the S. In order to set up something of your own for your friends who are also gamers, you had to put in the effort to really create some program that used IRC, or you went and created your own protocol. I've made stuff like that in the past, and that is what I'm used to still, I don't mind working on something to create myself, something that's more secure, something I have much more control over if I need it badly enough.

Also, forums are used by gamers more often you may think. It depends on the type of game and type of person. Games like Avorion, Space Engineers and Minecraft as examples still use forum systems one way or another. I know PMC has been based on phpBB for a long time. There are also some pretty solid 'social media-esq' opensource web based forum programs out there that have downloads up in the millions. phpBB is still being updated and so is Simple Machines, to name two.

Next to that 'gamers' aren't the only people using the internet to chat. Your arguments are totally valid if you only talk about gamers, but start to fall apart when you apply your arguments to groups like HAM Radio Amateurs for example, they still mostly use skype, and previously MSN/AIM.

Take people who care a lot about their privacy for example, they still use SSH secured IRC servers through a bunch of proxies they build themselves because they know Discord sure as hell isn't secure, messages aren't encrypted on Discord. They also don't trust any other 'ready made easy to use popular' chat software made by some company because they simply don't trust those companies with their chat.

I can go on mentioning more examples but i'm sure you get the point. There's more people using chat programs other than gamers.

Planet Minecraft

Browse

Site

© 2010 - 2019
planetminecraft.com

Welcome