Bad sportsmanship by entering contests?

Leostereo's Avatar Leostereo11/16/12 6:43 pm
1 emeralds 1.4k 55
11/20/2012 2:43 pm
Leostereo's Avatar Leostereo
So recently I have been having some people who say that I should perhaps skip a contest or two because I have already proven myself to be one of the top skinners (seeing as I have reached top 3 for the past four contests). They are basically asking me to leave some space in the top spots for people who haven't been there before, who would be much happier to reach a spot like that, compared to me who by now is pretty used to that.

Why I, and other high end skinners should, and should be allowed to enter these
I personally want to continue entering these contests because they are what I look forward to the most when it comes to skin making. There are a few arguments that I have to back myself up on why I, and all other top skinners, should be allowed to:
- This is the biggest Minecraft skin contest in existence. I feel it should be most definitely be dedicated to the high-end of skinners, at least the higher spots. You don't have to be extremely good to reach top 100, so most mid-end skinners should be able to feel that they are still a part of the contest (supposing that they can reach top 100).

- This is how pretty much any contest, competition or tournament in the world works. The elite don't just quit as a consolation price for the slightly lower tier to be able to win. This is not a contest for kids in kindergarten.

- There probably wont be another way to compete with the elite if they aren't competing in this very contest. How boring would it be to know that you could never prove yourself to be one of the very best? That is one of the goals I had when I started entering contests. Unofficial contests hosted by users are less likely to attract the higher end of skinners due to the lack of being official. I personally see it as if they, the unofficial ones, should be more dedicated to less experienced skinners, it's a good start to be honest and I am glad people are hosting them. I am keeping myself from entering them because I know I could very well be way over most standards in it (they rarely have more than a few entries). I feel it would be pretty bad sportsmanship on my part to do so.

- I, and everyone else have the same presumptions. You don't need fancy software that costs a ton, no previous artistic skills, not a good computer and you don't have to dedicate your whole life to skinning to become good.
It's incredibly fair to be honest. I don't spend all my days making skins, someone else could very well reach the higher end if they dedicate some time to it. I even put up tutorials, guides and livestreams to help people get better.

- You don't necessarily need a ton of subscribers to be able to win a contest. Sure, it's an easy way to get into top 100, but having an incredible skin, a nice mood, along with proper advertising should grant you the publicity you need to get those judge diamonds which will give you a spot into top 100. User Danori is an example. In his first contest he scored first place with only a few subscribers because he had made an amazing skin with a great concept and unique art style. If being famous then has an important matter (judges judging based on diamonds etc) it is not us higher end skinners fault. It is something that has to be discussed with the judges. 

- There are only a few people who can master contrast, coloring, shading, use of hat layer and so forth. Should people who don't master these, who haven't dedicated their time to properly learn them, deserve the best spots in the biggest skinning contest there is? That sounds a but unfair, doesn't it?

- I am not at all after the actual price. If I will ever receive the price I won a few months ago (haven't seen a glimpse of it so far :c), and some day perhaps win even another one I'll probably end up handing over the price to the second place. One creeper head is enough.

Why I, and other high end skinners should not, and should not be allowed to enter these
There are arguments from this point of view too. I'll do my best in listing the ones I know of to not make this rant all too biased.

- It is bad sportsmanship to do so. Let other people experience the joy and fame from scoring a place in the top 100.

- We have proven ourself to be really good at skinning, what more could we possibly want?

- People give up seeing the elite enter the contest over and over again. It feels pointless to enter because they know they can't win over them any time soon.

So yeah, please leave your thoughts on why/why not us who always score really good spots should continue to enter contests.
Leostereo
Level 86 : Elite Meme

Create an account or sign in to comment.

11/20/2012 2:43 pm
Leostereo
ParilLeo: I will get Cyprezz on the prize thing. PM me any info pertaining to your prize, please.
-P

Got a PM from Cyprezz, it should be all good now. Thanks for contacting him.
11/19/2012 8:20 am
Level 88 : Elite Scapegoat
Paril
Leo: I will get Cyprezz on the prize thing. PM me any info pertaining to your prize, please.

Ace: look at the giant red rule under Submission Guidelines. 100% your own. That rule about re-using content is for re-using your own content. SkinCraft content is NOT YOUR OWN. There are some cases where people have based their skins off of somebody elses', such as Studnickys' or Leo's skins, and they turned out completely different - however, in most cases, they will ask for permission and credit to the proper author would be given. Good luck doing that with SkinCraft parts.

-P
11/19/2012 8:54 am
Level 13 : Journeyman Miner
AceofSnakes
There are very limited exceptions if you are partially using work someone else created.

You must:
Have made significant changes/additions to the content such that a large proportion of the submission is your own work.

I don't use skincraft for the premade parts, I used it to make skins. Not skins out of premade parts, and if I did, it was for a slight color, but otherwise, I would edit it highly. Also, I never used any big parts, I used a hair piece and belt. That was it. Is it criminal to have a belt? No, and its not a special belt, its a flat color. Take a look at the removed skins (I messaged about getting those back, awaiting word as well as the temp ban) and you'll see they are custom made by me. Only 2 were made in Skincraft, and the ONLY thing used was a hair piece. Even so, it was highly edited. No t-shirts, no skins, no pants, no boots. Just a hair piece and a belt. I don't use it anymore, I use paint.Net.
EDIT: I would like the files back, if Anything. And it was a Steve hair piece as well, and even the shape was changed by me.
EDIT: I love how people seem to think, if someone says something, they are jealous. So, all I am asking for is my skins files at this point. If I'm going to get flamed, fine. If you want to call me a sore loser, waste your words, I sure won't care what you say, and if you have anything to say about the quality of my skins, don't bother. I'm utterly sick of people saying things like 'hurrr ignore him duerr, hes just jealous'
And, why is everyone calling me a 'Wannabe God/King of Skinning' ? You know what? I don't care. Thanks for the compliment.
11/19/2012 8:17 am
AceofSnakes
Click to reveal
Leostereo

First off, I haven't replied to everyone, I can't reply to everyone. And since you seem to be pretty much on my side here there is not too much to discuss between the two of us.

Also, that does seem like a suitable price for a contest like this. I'd prefer it over the creeper head to be honest.

Another thing, will I ever receive the price I won a few months ago? (since you might have updates on this) I heard they were sold out, but I haven't heard anything since.

the_soupWhile we'd certainly like Leo to become a judge (hint hint ;p)

I can't say that I don't want to become a judge, but I can't say either that I'd like to quit the fun of contests for that. :c[/quote]

There aren't necessarily sides for this...
Anyways, I feel this conversation is growing out of hand, probably should have kept it/ended between us. But, whats done is done, said is said. Clearing things up, I never said you had to be banned from contests, but maybe skip a few. Notice my wording. A few. And only that. Once you have recharged your batteries fully, come back full swing! Of course, you want to be part of all the contests, and I guess its really a community thing, people like you, people like when you enter contests, and that can't be changed. -sigh- That skincraft skin I made had nothing premade in skincraft, and frankly, I don't think anyone listened when I said that was my only option on my old computer, and if I ever did use a pre-made item (scouts honor, just hair and a belt) I would edit it heavily. Skincraft uses pre-made parts,yes, but there is a custom options list, and thats all I would ever use. The rest of my skins (Starting with the SHIELD Agent and Cpt. Frost) were made in Paint.NET using your skin template a few times (and you were given credit) and than I went on to create my own skin templates. They used a bit of your idea, but mostly its a clean face, and hands, because most of my skins are pretty covered.
I know skincraft is bad, but you shouldn't demonize things for being made in Skincraft, in fact, really honest skins have come out of it, and while people should move on to Paint.NET and GIMP, well, its a nice touch up maker. Also, under the rule it says as long as the items pre made are not many, and are heavily changed. Such was the case for my skins. Or at least a 1/8 of them.
11/19/2012 12:58 am
Level 12 : Journeyman Blacksmith
Pyrominecraft2
Leo, dont make anyone stop you for what you do best at man, just make awesome skins.

Besides, their reasoning doesnt make sense. Its not their fault they cant match up to you. You enter the contest and you come there to win.
11/18/2012 11:22 pm
Level 72 : Legendary Button Pusher
the_soup
- I, and everyone else have the same presumptions. You don't need fancy software that costs a ton, no previous artistic skills, not a good computer and you don't have to dedicate your whole life to skinning to become good.
It's incredibly fair to be honest. I don't spend all my days making skins, someone else could very well reach the higher end if they dedicate some time to it. I even put up tutorials, guides and livestreams to help people get better.

So much this. I mean, how do I say this without sounding mean...the skin contests are contests based on your skill with skinning. Some people are better skinners than others. Some people are REALLY good skinners. Frankly, they deserve to win.
I'm living proof that, if you put the time and effort into skinning, you CAN get good at skinning and place high in the contests. My first contest skin placed 4th, and I wasn't even a well-known skinner. Roobus won a contest without being a well known skinner. I hate to say it, but most of the time when I see people complaining about well-known skinners winning the skin contests the people complaining are not very good themselves and seem more jealous than anything.
While we'd certainly like Leo to become a judge (hint hint ;p) it's his decision if he wants to enter a contest or not. The mods would never force someone not to enter because they're *too good* at skinning. That's silly.
11/18/2012 9:23 pm
Level 35 : Artisan Dragon
Clue
I'm starting to like contests all of the sudden, if they have prizes like that...
11/18/2012 8:18 pm
Level 80 : Elite Grump
Cipher_Punk
ParilI like anonymous judging as a concept, however I do agree that it might only really matter for the newbies. A lot of people can look at a skin and figure out who it would be - although, I don't expect things can be 100% anonymous. Judges tend to be friends with the participants, some participants may share their skin to the judges (ie, friends) for opinions, and then they will know.. I don't know. I just don't think it will solve the problem.

There may be cliques, groups of friends, etc who will attempt to skew the system by breaking anonymity, but the judge teams are diverse and not selected from any single group, which will counter this tendency naturally.

ParilWhether or not the name of the skinner affects the final judgment (assuming they do not know who the skin belongs to without looking at the same) is debatable.

Many user's styles are so incredibly similar that, without the username attached, you would not know who made it.

LeostereoAll your arguments seem to be based on is that judges might judge differently due to me being very famous here. I too don't think they should judge by that at all, I don't think anyone does. I can't see how making the best skinners skip contests would be a better way than to go straight to the point and talk to the judges about the situation.

I've noticed you replying to every single other person in this thread, but ignoring my points specifically. I am slightly amused by this, being the site moderator who has been responsible for organizing and running all of the official skin contests we've ever had. By the way, how do you like our design for the next contest prize?
11/18/2012 7:59 pm
Level 88 : Elite Scapegoat
Paril
I like anonymous judging as a concept, however I do agree that it might only really matter for the newbies. A lot of people can look at a skin and figure out who it would be - although, I don't expect things can be 100% anonymous. Judges tend to be friends with the participants, some participants may share their skin to the judges (ie, friends) for opinions, and then they will know.. I don't know. I just don't think it will solve the problem.

As for the matter at hand: my personal opinion is that yes, it is unfair to the other participants if the "winners" entered - but that's the point of a contest. Beat the best. One person is always going to be better over another. It is impossible to have a contest where everybody's skill level is exactly the same. Whether or not the name of the skinner affects the final judgment (assuming they do not know who the skin belongs to without looking at the same) is debatable.

-P
11/18/2012 7:53 pm
AceofSnakes
Leostereo
AceofSnakes
I never said the judges were very-corrupt, or thinkso. Merely repeating what you said, as they use diamond count to get the noteworthy ones. Your words, not mine.

Here's a direct quote from you: "Judges have told by diamonds which skins are the best, which get to the finals."

That doesn't sound like you said the judges were acting corrupt?

Actually, I was going by what you said to the other person, here is a direct quote from you.
"Well no, just the noteworthy ones at least. " I don't know what counts for noteworthy in that instance, but when that other guy asked "Are all the skins seen?" That was your answer.
11/18/2012 7:18 pm
Leostereo
AceofSnakes
I never said the judges were very-corrupt, or thinkso. Merely repeating what you said, as they use diamond count to get the noteworthy ones. Your words, not mine.

Here's a direct quote from you: "Judges have told by diamonds which skins are the best, which get to the finals."

That doesn't sound like you said the judges were acting corrupt?
11/18/2012 7:04 pm
AceofSnakes
Leostereo
AceofSnakes
Epic Facepalm. Obviously, you are totally biased to your side. I continuously try to see it from your angle, but it just seems selfesh. You couldn't swallow everything once, and back out of just a few contests. That, Leostereo, is bad sportsmanship. I know you are going to tell me something declining that, and you will inevitably decline the rest of what I say. Fine. If not entering every contest is such a burden to you, so be it. By the way, I'm going to make you eat your words, and make a skin in skincraft that shows you what really can be done.
By the way, this was never about the reel, or creeper skins, or even my skins, but about YOUR sportsmanship. Tell me, why are you so dead set on entering these contests and have not considered (very well at all) the other side's argument.
My skins, however, were indeed made in skincraft, but alas, were not made using the pre-made parts. Albeit a hair or so. Like I said though, prepare to eat those words.

~Now, if you excuse me, its Halo time. I don't have any more shiz to give on this, and frankly, I need to be fighting for my house right now.

I am still requesting a reply to this:
"Overall you basically seem to be saying the judges are being very corrupt, voting up skins because "he or she made it". This is something you should discuss with the judges, not trying to make the best skinners quit the contests."
All your arguments seem to be based on is that judges might judge differently due to me being very famous here. I too don't think they should judge by that at all, I don't think anyone does. I can't see how making the best skinners skip contests would be a better way than to go straight to the point and talk to the judges about the situation.

Edit: And for everyone talking about anonymous skin contests. Yes, it's a fantastic idea in theory, but most people would be able to figure out who made what due to all of the top skinners having their unique styles.

VeryMadCrafterIndeed there are many people who want to win too.I have joined only 3 contests and failed (Except cyberpunk entry).People put so much effort and time to their work and don't even get in top 50 While others get pop reel, 50 diamonds and huge recognition. D:

It's not like you can just give people consolation prices because they spent a lot of time on their skin. Beginners can spend lots of hours working on their shading, which might not even turn out perfect (you can't make it perfect the first time), while the more experienced skinners can pull off a great skin in less than two hours (about an hour and a half is standard for me).

NyarlyWhat's with the skinners, who have great skills, but can't win because the top skinners always beat them?
If you have great skills you are one of the top skinners. As I said earlier, if it's being judged by fame, then there is a problem which should hopefully be solved somehow.

11/18/2012 5:08 pm
Level 53 : Grandmaster Lego Builder
CGBrothers
Wow. Use this guy as a freaking role model, dont diss on him. I wouldnt walk up to McMorris or someone and say, hey dont go to the winter X games I wanan win. Thats just a bunch of bull. Instead, I see McMorris beat the world record with a 1440 triple cork and say "That'll be me in 2 years". Not "He should quit." I, along with every single snowboarder who watches the games, were ECSTATIC that he did that. So just enjoy the fact that you can see his skill, and possibly learn from it. Now leave him alone.
11/18/2012 5:01 pm
Level 36 : Artisan Dragon
Lord_Sauron_
I agree completely - I didn't know people had a problem with good skinners entering... Maybe they have a problem with losing?
11/18/2012 4:53 pm
Leostereo
AceofSnakes
Epic Facepalm. Obviously, you are totally biased to your side. I continuously try to see it from your angle, but it just seems selfesh. You couldn't swallow everything once, and back out of just a few contests. That, Leostereo, is bad sportsmanship. I know you are going to tell me something declining that, and you will inevitably decline the rest of what I say. Fine. If not entering every contest is such a burden to you, so be it. By the way, I'm going to make you eat your words, and make a skin in skincraft that shows you what really can be done.
By the way, this was never about the reel, or creeper skins, or even my skins, but about YOUR sportsmanship. Tell me, why are you so dead set on entering these contests and have not considered (very well at all) the other side's argument.
My skins, however, were indeed made in skincraft, but alas, were not made using the pre-made parts. Albeit a hair or so. Like I said though, prepare to eat those words.

~Now, if you excuse me, its Halo time. I don't have any more shiz to give on this, and frankly, I need to be fighting for my house right now.

I am still requesting a reply to this:
"Overall you basically seem to be saying the judges are being very corrupt, voting up skins because "he or she made it". This is something you should discuss with the judges, not trying to make the best skinners quit the contests."
All your arguments seem to be based on is that judges might judge differently due to me being very famous here. I too don't think they should judge by that at all, I don't think anyone does. I can't see how making the best skinners skip contests would be a better way than to go straight to the point and talk to the judges about the situation.

Edit: And for everyone talking about anonymous skin contests. Yes, it's a fantastic idea in theory, but most people would be able to figure out who made what due to all of the top skinners having their unique styles.

VeryMadCrafterIndeed there are many people who want to win too.I have joined only 3 contests and failed (Except cyberpunk entry).People put so much effort and time to their work and don't even get in top 50 While others get pop reel, 50 diamonds and huge recognition. D:

It's not like you can just give people consolation prices because they spent a lot of time on their skin. Beginners can spend lots of hours working on their shading, which might not even turn out perfect (you can't make it perfect the first time), while the more experienced skinners can pull off a great skin in less than two hours (about an hour and a half is standard for me).

NyarlyWhat's with the skinners, who have great skills, but can't win because the top skinners always beat them?
If you have great skills you are one of the top skinners. As I said earlier, if it's being judged by fame, then there is a problem which should hopefully be solved somehow.
11/18/2012 10:52 am
Clue
I believe you have to volunteer to become a Judge.
11/18/2012 9:29 am
Level 42 : Master Mlem Mlem Bat
planetblox2000
why isnt leostero a judge yet? 0_o
11/18/2012 7:05 am
Level 40 : Master Network
ZaphodX
For the record, I think it was Stud that has been pushing for the anonymous judging, it's not my idea.
11/18/2012 7:07 am
Cipher_Punk
Since the very first contest. It is my opinion that a certain amount of username bias throws off the integrity of the judging. However, those who deserve to make the top 100 definitely do.

I would dare to say that I have not yet seen a contest in which I felt that all of the top 100 deserved to be there. There is room in the finalists slots for everyone who makes a serious effort. If you are not in the finalists, it is your own fault.

I realized this entire thread was derp when I saw that the guy complaining he wasn't winning enough was using skincraft.

Part-picking or 'assembling' skins from a selection of pieces is against the site submission rules and always has been. The parts included in the options on those sites are all copied from other skins, without permission from the original authors to redistribute. This means that nearly every skin created using those sites contain copied materials, which violates site submission rules.

This rule has always existed and will never change. Do not upload things you have not created 100% by yourself. I cannot comprehend how this is such a difficult concept for so many of you.

You do not win because you are not creating anything new. You are simply remixing things that have already been done.
11/18/2012 7:04 am
Level 57 : Grandmaster Dragon
LithiumSedai
In order to avoid fights and such stuff, I'll just say Zaphod's idea might work.
11/18/2012 6:57 am
Level 36 : Artisan Waffle
Nyarly
I didn't participate in any contest so far, but I considered joining one and may do so some time in the future. I'm still pretty much a beginner and I tend to struggle with a lot of things in skin-making (most of all, shading, as I know that I want simpler shading, since I think it looks better with my anime-based skins, but I'm always undecided on how simple I want it to be).

So, there is no way that I will ever achieve a meaningful rank in a contest (at least, not yet). But that doesn't bug me at all, simply because I'd do it for the fun. There is just something fun in making something for a contest, which I can't really describe, quite different from the fun in making something... well, not for a contest. And that's important. If being first place would be the important thing for me, I wouldn't take part in such a contest, since the chance of winning (even if I had the necessary skills) is low. And if it isn't fun, I'd feel there is no point in doing it, it would just feel like a waste of time.

Of course, that's just me as a low-skilled one. What's with the skinners, who have great skills, but can't win because the top skinners always beat them?

Well, they should get better and try to reach the top. To be that great, you have to be dedicated. For someone who is so dedicated, what could be better than competing with the best and, eventually, proving that you are one of them (if not the best)? Winning, just by being great, but without beating the best, would seem empty and meaningless in comparison.

There is also another way to view the "should the best entering contest"-issue: Top skinners making top skins for contest. -> More top skins by the top skinners in question -> More top skins in general. How this could be a bad thing, that's something that one really has to explain to me.

So, all in all, I'm firmly against the exclusion of high-end-skinners in contests. It's for the best of the community, that they take part in them.

It may be that more popular skinners are favored. But if that's the case, then the issues is the judges and they should be be took to the task, not high-end-skinners.
11/18/2012 6:05 am
Clue
Maybe. Someone would have to know though.
11/18/2012 6:06 am
Level 66 : High Grandmaster Procrastinator
Daft-Vader
Cyprezz.
11/18/2012 5:56 am
Clue
Obviously, instead of uploading it into your account. you'd upload it into a special "Contest" section, where it hides the account to everyone but contest judges.
11/18/2012 7:02 am
ZaphodX
No, it hides the account to everyone, especially the judges. Make it impossible to link to the submissions so they can't be advertised by the skin maker either. Maybe to ensure you get a chance to have people notice the good skins there should be a bump within the contest entry section.
11/18/2012 6:04 am
Daft-Vader
Once the contest is over I guess the names would be announced and the skins will be added to their profiles?
11/18/2012 5:52 am
Clue
Anonymous contests, should be implemented.
11/18/2012 5:54 am
Daft-Vader
How would it be possible when you upload it under your account?
11/18/2012 5:41 am
Level 37 : Artisan Demolitionist
JKConquerer
The only way that people will get better is through battling with a worthy opponent for the top spot! If they do not push themselves, then there is no point in winning because they have not become better!
11/18/2012 5:40 am
Level 6 : Apprentice Mage
reecefraser
ive just entered my cyber punk teen into the contest i know im probably not going to win but a participation trophy is still a trophy isnt it
11/18/2012 5:35 am
Level 69 : High Grandmaster Meme
VeryMadCrafter
Indeed there are many people who want to win too.I have joined only 3 contests and failed (Except cyberpunk entry).People put so much effort and time to their work and don't even get in top 50 While others get pop reel, 50 diamonds and huge recognition. D:
11/18/2012 4:59 am
Daft-Vader
Just look at me and Roobus. In the July skin contest we only just made it into the top 100. In the August contest we were up with Leostereo and Lantosyt, and Roobus won.

Leostereo is not unbeatable, so why disqualify him?
11/17/2012 9:45 pm
ZaphodX
Nice to see you on the forums. Agreed with most of your points.

I don't think it would matter whether 10 top skinners entered into the contest, with a bit of advertising and a decent skin, most people should have the potential to make it into the top 100.

However, you've taken the top 3 places quite often and some of your skins haven't been as good as some other entries. Perhaps you were awarded marks based on your popularity rather than the skin. Not your fault by any means but I guess that just highlights the need for a completely anonymous entry system where a contest entry is judged purely on the skin and not the person posting it or the description.
11/18/2012 12:40 am
AceofSnakes
That's probably one of the best ideas I've heard all day ^^
Aside from being called 'poor sport' (I haven't even entered the contest, therefore impossible to win or lose) and a "whiney" I think this could have been solved with a solution, I probably should have come up with one rather than continuing the fuss with Leo. But yeah, I'd vote for that.

EDIT: Remember how I said I'd make a skin in Skincraft?
http://www.planetminecraft.com/skin/str ... t-1653197/
I'm just terrible with hair, and had to rush that part due to a Family Reunion.
11/17/2012 9:12 pm
Level 71 : Legendary Lad
KnobleKnives
Immaturity and the desire to be the best are two of many traits of human nature. You've just got to put up a wall between you and the whiners
11/17/2012 8:09 pm
AceofSnakes
Click to reveal
Leostereo
AceofSnakesAlright, time for me to bring some light into dis.
- stuff -

"You cannot compare this to the Olympics."
I just took it as an example of a bigger competition where the best in that subject is competing against each other. To be honest, the only real difference is that they do physical work and we sit here drawing skins. Or if there is a difference it is all due to the judges being corrupt (which I am not stating they are, but they can or might be).

Also, the elite there had to work their way up too. Most of them probably started out in smaller local games. Them being moved to a higher tier (to then reach the Olympics) can be compared to people here gaining subscribers from successful skins they have posted.

"I never said this is to be kindergarten level"
You basically said that everyone (or at least the good, but non-elite) should win too sometimes (with the elite backing out when they've won). In kindergarten they don't have real winners, or at least they tend to hand out consolation prices, which is pretty much what you just said they should get.

"Those skins are getting in the top 100 because people like the person who posted them"
This might be true in some cases for people who aren't too good at skinning but that might have a ton of subscribers from other things. But that should not matter when they've reached top 100, bad skins don't get the good spots there (lets say less than 20), go and look for yourself. Plus, I don't see how this is in any form relevant to me since I am not one of those people (I've gained most of my subscribers from my skins, which are also actually pretty good if I can say so myself).

You had no right attacking my skins, when I had never downplayed the quality of yours.
The reason I began commenting about your skinning is that you somewhat complained that it is pretty much impossible to advertise your skins in the chat from your personal experience. With half of your skins having been made in Skincraft (which is in fact against the rules to post) and the other half being decent (not bad, but not special in any form either) I thought it felt like you completely overrated your skins expecting people to care a lot about them. You later explained yourself better (and even excused your use of discussing), so I suppose I can now take some of that back. Still not too keen on your Skincraft skins due to the fact that they are against the rules.

"First of all: There is nothing wrong with skincraft, though it isn't the best, it can still make a variety of epic skins."
Yeah, that pre-made hair and body does actually look quite decent, it's only a click away too.

"You also talk about 'earning a spot' and how if someone can't beat the 'elite' they should not have gotten that spot in the first place. What? Are you serious? No. No. We cannot beat the 'elite' because the 'elite' have hundreds of fans which vote them on."
Lots of new people become part of the elite with every contest and can definitely reach the standards of the previous elite. And the best skinners with lots of subscribers will reach top 100 regardless of their support because their skins are often really good. In top 100 it should not matter whether they are famous or not. If it does, then it's something you should blame on the judges.

Another thing I'd like to mention: Have you ever seen any stolen "cool creeper teen" skins on the reel? Yes, there has been plenty of those on the reel (only to get removed due to them being stolen). Did those people have any subscribers? No, probably not a single one. You don't need subscribers to get on the reel.

"About the title as well: Bad sportsmanship for entering contests?"
Not my fault the title didn't allow me to post my original title because of the length "Is it bad sportsmanship for me to keep entering contests?".

"You really expect people to walk into the chat and get noticed?"
There will always be someone who will click your link. If you make amazing skins, chances are pretty good they might subscribe, diamond etc and/or mention it in the chat, making more people click.

Overall you basically seem to be saying the judges are being very corrupt, voting up skins because "he or she made it". This is something you should discuss with the judges, not trying to make the best skinners quit the contests.

creeperCaroleThat's what the contests are about. It's not "who skins the best" but "who improves the most." If you want to win... be better than the current top skinners.

This. It would feel incredibly lame to know that the elite backed out because they knew you were too bad to be compared to them.

11/17/2012 6:02 pm
Leostereo
AceofSnakesAlright, time for me to bring some light into dis.
- stuff -

"You cannot compare this to the Olympics."
I just took it as an example of a bigger competition where the best in that subject is competing against each other. To be honest, the only real difference is that they do physical work and we sit here drawing skins. Or if there is a difference it is all due to the judges being corrupt (which I am not stating they are, but they can or might be).

Also, the elite there had to work their way up too. Most of them probably started out in smaller local games. Them being moved to a higher tier (to then reach the Olympics) can be compared to people here gaining subscribers from successful skins they have posted.

"I never said this is to be kindergarten level"
You basically said that everyone (or at least the good, but non-elite) should win too sometimes (with the elite backing out when they've won). In kindergarten they don't have real winners, or at least they tend to hand out consolation prices, which is pretty much what you just said they should get.

"Those skins are getting in the top 100 because people like the person who posted them"
This might be true in some cases for people who aren't too good at skinning but that might have a ton of subscribers from other things. But that should not matter when they've reached top 100, bad skins don't get the good spots there (lets say less than 20), go and look for yourself. Plus, I don't see how this is in any form relevant to me since I am not one of those people (I've gained most of my subscribers from my skins, which are also actually pretty good if I can say so myself).

You had no right attacking my skins, when I had never downplayed the quality of yours.
The reason I began commenting about your skinning is that you somewhat complained that it is pretty much impossible to advertise your skins in the chat from your personal experience. With half of your skins having been made in Skincraft (which is in fact against the rules to post) and the other half being decent (not bad, but not special in any form either) I thought it felt like you completely overrated your skins expecting people to care a lot about them. You later explained yourself better (and even excused your use of discussing), so I suppose I can now take some of that back. Still not too keen on your Skincraft skins due to the fact that they are against the rules.

"First of all: There is nothing wrong with skincraft, though it isn't the best, it can still make a variety of epic skins."
Yeah, that pre-made hair and body does actually look quite decent, it's only a click away too.

"You also talk about 'earning a spot' and how if someone can't beat the 'elite' they should not have gotten that spot in the first place. What? Are you serious? No. No. We cannot beat the 'elite' because the 'elite' have hundreds of fans which vote them on."
Lots of new people become part of the elite with every contest and can definitely reach the standards of the previous elite. And the best skinners with lots of subscribers will reach top 100 regardless of their support because their skins are often really good. In top 100 it should not matter whether they are famous or not. If it does, then it's something you should blame on the judges.

Another thing I'd like to mention: Have you ever seen any stolen "cool creeper teen" skins on the reel? Yes, there has been plenty of those on the reel (only to get removed due to them being stolen). Did those people have any subscribers? No, probably not a single one. You don't need subscribers to get on the reel.

"About the title as well: Bad sportsmanship for entering contests?"
Not my fault the title didn't allow me to post my original title because of the length "Is it bad sportsmanship for me to keep entering contests?".

"You really expect people to walk into the chat and get noticed?"
There will always be someone who will click your link. If you make amazing skins, chances are pretty good they might subscribe, diamond etc and/or mention it in the chat, making more people click.

Overall you basically seem to be saying the judges are being very corrupt, voting up skins because "he or she made it". This is something you should discuss with the judges, not trying to make the best skinners quit the contests.

creeperCaroleThat's what the contests are about. It's not "who skins the best" but "who improves the most." If you want to win... be better than the current top skinners.

This. It would feel incredibly lame to know that the elite backed out because they knew you were too bad to be compared to them.
11/17/2012 10:33 am
Level 54 : Grandmaster Witch
mommaCarole
Ace: it's simple. Everyone is allowed to enter the contests if they so choose, even if they have won the last 20 of them. The deciding factor of who wins is based on judge's voting, NOT how many diamonds or comments someone receives.

Some of the "elite" skinners have stepped away from the contests to let new skinners show off their skills, and that is great and is THEIR OWN CHOICE. Would Halucid or Studnicky immediately win if they started entering the contests again? Maybe... maybe not. We have several EXCEPTIONAL skinners on this site. We also have thousands of ok and mediocre skinners, but the thing is they are learning. They're looking at the work from the exception skinners and saying "oh, THAT'S how to do shading... that's how to make that hat layer really work..." and they're improving.

That's what the contests are about. It's not "who skins the best" but "who improves the most." If you want to win... be better than the current top skinners.
11/17/2012 9:37 am
AceofSnakes
Alright, time for me to bring some light into dis.

Click to reveal
Leo, you already won a contest, and have been in the top 3 for multiple others. Give others a chance to shine, will you? I'm actually pretty sick of seeing 'Leostereo' in every single contest top 3. No offence to you, but do you really need another foam creeper head?
Leostereo
Level 75
Legendary Meme
2 days ago
It's a contest, just because you've won it once doesn't mean you're allowed to test yourself again against even better people another time. How silly would the Olympics be if people quit after they had won a medal? I've also had people begging me to make more skins or enter the contest because they love my work. It's not my fault people enjoy my skins and tend to vote them good. I'm just doing my thing here just like everyone else.

Plus, I haven't even received my price yet, not sure I ever will.
AceofSnakes
Level 11
Journeyman Cowboy
2 days ago
Obviously, you aren't seeing the point of what I'm saying. Yes, it's a contest, but you passed the test of it. Now, you're simply making other skinners go "Welp, he entered, all his fans are going to diamond him, no use in trying." There are so many skinners out there with as much potential as you, but almost always, they go unnoticed. And, the point is, the olympics are not comparable to a minecraft skinning competition, because in the Olympics, we see everybody who enters, and they all have a fair chance. You have many fans who diamond your skins because its YOU. It's not your fault, no, but you don't have to enter EVERY contest. And if people begged you to make a skin for a contest, does that really mean you have no choice but to listen to them? No. Really, this is poor sportsmanship. You've won. Give someone else a chance. If you really like the theme, make a skin with the theme! But don't go bulldozing your way into all the contests.
couljj
Level 32
Artisan Goblin
about 12 hours ago
Not sure it's my place to interject here, but I feel that competitions aren't tests. They're called competitions for a reason, and having skinner of high quality enter raises the level of quality.

Let me compare this to the Olympics for a sec. Many athletes have won all their previous competitions in order to get to the Olympics and when they make it, they still try hard at every single match. Why would our athletes slack off to give other people a chance? They trained hard for that level of competition and therefore should be rewarded for it. Same concept, only apply it to minecraft.
Leostereo
Level 75
Legendary Meme
2 days ago
Diamonds pretty much don't matter at all in contests. Judge diamonds will determine wether you'll reach top 100 or not, but that's about it. And the reason I am entering contests is that I think it's just as fun as anyone else to enter and compete, why should I not be allowed the fun that everyone else can have? There's a ton of competition even for me. I don't win every contest you know.

Also, everyone here has an equally fair chance of becoming good at skinning. Does it require software you must pay for? No. (all my software is 100% free) Does it require a good computer? No. Does it require heavy artistic skills to start making skins? No. (I knew barely anything about that when I started skinning) Do I spend all my days making skins much more often than other people, thus making it impossible for other people to become as good? No, there is a lot of time for people to practice.

Another thing, you're talking about "unnoticed skinners". If a skinner is good and can spend a few minutes advertising it properly they wont have ANY trouble at all reaching top 100 if it's actually a really well made skin. My subscribers don't matter at all when it comes to contests. Guess we can leave a 'no' to "Does it require a big fanbase to have a chance in contests?" too.

Edit: Not to mention the several livestreams that I've hosted to help people see how I work in real time, being able to ask questions in the chat, and my tutorials I've put up showing people how they can become better at skinning, and last but not least the 50+ people I've given advice on how that can improve their skins.
AceofSnakes
Level 11
Journeyman Cowboy
2 days ago
Don't even bring up the whole "Not allowed to have fun" routine. You must have read wrong, people, like I said, have been making skins just as good as you, but are they noticed when you hit the Front Page every upload? No. Advertising? You are joking, right? When I enter a chat, I ad. Does anyone bother to take a second look? No, because everyone is too busy with their own or don't care. And people tend not to like frequent advertisers. Really? You think that you don't need fans? Judges have told by diamonds which skins are the best, which get to the finals. I have seen it first hand (and it helps weed out the flat steve skins) and plus, see those diamonds above your skin? I can pretty much GURANTEE that if I made a skin like that, I wouldn't have those diamonds, would go unnoticed in a contest, and than give up on the rest, like alot of people I have known have done. And I can tell you this, there are many more people out there who think the exact thoughts I think. Let me say this, I'm almost the only one who has said something about, negating the possible hate I may recieve from others. I never said, also, that you needed any of the good computers or expensive software, and it looks like you threw those in to better you point of view. It doesn't. I put hours into my skins, new shading techniques every skin, only to be washed away in every contest I enter. Think about it from another's point of view.
I want to have fun, and join this contest: You joined a contest likely knowing you would hit the reel, and get finalist spots, you know someone else could have gotten for a change.
I don't win every contest: You get finalist in everyone, and always from what I have seen gotten top 3.
Ton of Competition for me: Well, there are the other few skinners who are as good as you, but not as popular, most likely will be drowned in Steve skins.
Why should I not be allowed to have as much fun: It's not so much as that, but you can make a themed skin whenever you want, not just for contests. In fact, since you have won, why not give other's a chance? You proved yourself. You proved you won, you proved that you are a good skinner. Let someone else take that finalist spot.
Leostereo
Level 75
Legendary Meme
2 days ago
It honestly sounds like you're just mad because people don't praise your skins as their newfound god. You have made what, thirteen skins? Which half of them looking like they're straight out of Skincraft, and you're complaining that people don't care too much about them? You have barely started learning how to skin from the looks of it. Perhaps if you weren't so full of yourself you would accept yourself not being a god of skinning.

And you seem to miss that the fun is not only making the skin, but to have the actual competition against the other top skinners here on Planet Minecraft. These contests are partly meant for the best, otherwise it would be a pretty boring contest.

Also, please give me links on people who are as good as me (or other good skinners such as Halucid, Blender, KvSketch etc) who are very unnoticed (less than 100 subscribers). I'll definitely make sure to subscribe them if they in fact are.

One more thing, do you know who Danori is? He was pretty much unknown to the majority of Planet Minecraft at his first contest entry. What happened with the first contest he entered? He won! How come? The skin had a great concept and was pulled off really well.
AceofSnakes
Level 11
Journeyman Cowboy
2 days ago
Wait, you think I want my skins to be praised and loved and myself praised as a skinning god? No, on the contrary, I want to earn my stripes as a skinner, and while I have tried multiple different shading techniques I'm still have a hard time finding a good one. I'm not mad about my skins and their popularity at all, in fact, I don't want them to be noticed until I make one that I feel particularly proud of. When, at any point in time, did I call myself a 'God of Skinning' ? I know my skins are NOT the best, and I accept it. Yes, as it is seen, some of those skins were made in skincraft, but here is the thing, those skins were made in an apartment with a laptop from Lord-knows-When. I had no idea of the other skin creators out there, and McSkin3D hardly ever worked on the laptop. Now I am on my desktop, striving to create better skins. Trust me, if I seem mad, its a family trait, we sound mad when we try to explain things. Apart from that, yes, it is fun making skins. Hell, I love skinning to the point where I will admit, my skincraft skins suck, I don't like them, but I love them at the same time. They were my first afterall. The competition against other top skinners, I can see where you are coming from, but I think once in a while it should be the regular skinners, ones that aren't as special as the better ones, but still. Diamonds in the rough.
The much unknown skinners, I was talking about it in a general sense, but since it is late, and I don't have that time, I can not go out and find every undiscovered skinner, but I know they are out there.
No, I do not know who Danori is, and if he won, by all means, great!
What I am trying to say is:
If you can, lay off of some of the contests, let some other skinners shine! You know you will get a finalist spot, so it's not much of a surprise, but if that spot is taken by a new skinner, they will feel great! Their skins will advance in quality more and more. I apologize if I came on strong, I did not mean to sound as I did. Runs in the family.
I just want to make this clear, in no way was I trying to hate, I appreciate the work you put into your skins, and I like them as well. I am in no way a 'God of Skinning' nor will I ever be with the my current shading techniques. I see where you are coming from too, that you enjoy the contests and hey, I'd be saying the exact same thing in your position. Again, apologies for the way I came on, too abrupt.
Leostereo
Level 75
Legendary Meme
2 days ago
I get the feeling you're misunderstanding the point of a contest. The people who should be in top 10 or so should be fully mastering coloring, shading, contrast, use of 3D layer and so forth. As far as I know there are no skinners who master those things who has not been in top 10 (and are relatively known), unless you can provide me proof on amazing skinners who haven't.

So basically you're saying that us good people should leave the contest and lower the standard for the top, or?
AceofSnakes
Level 11
Journeyman Cowboy
2 days ago
I am going to explain this in the fullest detail:
Winning in this scenario would mean achieving a rank in the top 3.
If you have won multiple contests, than it is only fair to give others a chance and lay off a few, that doesn't mean all of them. By not entering only a few, than you will give another skinner that spot, rather than attaining it again. Secondly, you have proven yourself quite the good skinner, and have already obtained the prize of doing so, meaning there would be no meaning to try and obtain the slot again. Thirdly, we all know you are a good skinner, and if you enjoy a certain theme, by all means, create that skin. But if it is a theme you may not enjoy as much, don't enter. For example: Janedoe123 really loves Steampunk, and sees the Steampunk contest. Janedoe123 wins! The next contest is something Janedoe123 doesn't much care for, a halloween contest. Yet they enter anyways, and win! Next contest is a Sci-Fi skinning contest, and boy, does Janedoe123 love sci fi! They enter and win yet again! Here is BobbehHill. He fondly enjoys Halloween skins! He creates a good one, and enters it. The next time BobbehHill logs on, he lost! Oh well, he thinks. Sci Fi happens, and whaddya know, BobbehHill loves his sci-fi! He enters another skin in it. To his surprise, he loses! Now he's a little upset, he keeps losing to this same person! See my reasoning here? Janedoe123 didn't seem to enjoy the theme as much as Bobbeh in one of the instances, and kept winning the same prize each time, depriving Bobbeh of the slot. Or:
Janedoe123 loves all of the themes! She enters every single one, winning and obtaining new prizes! BobbehHill is still trying to at least get 3rd, his skins coming out much better each time, but alas, it is not enough. Janedoe123 is winning like a broken 'Cat' record, and BobbehHill has had enough. BobbehHill gives up on contests, and everytime Janedoe123 enters, another skinner is disappointed when the spot they were about to have is taken yet again!
See what I'm saying? It gets tiring seeing Janedoe123 in the same spots over and over, and you can't help but feel:
"Don't they ever get tired of winning all the time?"
The point is, don't enter every contest you see, leave it to some other skinner to take your place, and feel proud! That skinner is just as good as you, meaning they likely picked up a few tricks from you.
PrinterPlayer
Level 20
Expert Creeper
a day ago
tl;dr
Leostereo
Level 75
Legendary Meme
a day ago
You're making this contest sound like it's meant for kids in kindergarten, that everyone should be a winner.

Having the good people here will provide great challenge for everyone. If the better people would just let the worse people win it would straight out lose the whole point of the contest being rather serious. If you can't compare yourself with the elite you should then not win the biggest skin contest in the history of Minecraft either. People host unofficial contests that you can enter with probably a bit less competition if you're so desperate to score a really good place. Until you've learnt to make fantastic skins that will challenge even the best you will simply have to deal with having to go for the less official and easier contests to have a chance to win.

When I started entering the contests I knew that it would be a great challenge. It was. I got on around place 40 the first time, then gradually making my way up to the very top, just like anyone else should.

This is the only contest I feel I'd like to be a part of. Not because of the prices, if I win a second time I'll probably hand the price over to the second place (if it's the same price, and suggesting that I will ever receive my original price). It's just about the great and fun competition with the major part of the best skinners around.
AceofSnakes
Level 11
Journeyman Cowboy
a day ago
Leo, the point is that you have proven yourself in the contests more than all of us can say. There is really no point in you entering, and really, lets be honest, would you hand over your prize and medal to 2nd place?
Listen, I know you love contests. So do I. But do you really feel the need to enter every single one? And can't the unofficial contests partain to you too? Why not hold your own? For those awesome skinners like you who make equally as good skins. And no, I'm not saying at all it needs to be a kindergarden contest. I'm saying that you have won enough, you have proven your skinning skills, and you really don't need to win another.
Leostereo
Level 75
Legendary Meme
a day ago
I want to compete against people at my level. There is pretty much no other way than to enter these contests. I feel it would be pretty bad sportsmanship to enter the private hosted ones considering that the people who join might not be all too good.

And yes, I would hand over the actual price (the creeper head) to the second place because I can't see any reason to have two of them.
AceofSnakes
Level 11
Journeyman Cowboy
a day ago
IF you want to compete against other people your level, and there is no other way, MAKE a way. Host your own unique contest, and see who can beat your skin, and get some of the judges to judge it. There would be much more planning than that, but at least you get the satisfaction of a contest while other people have a chance at the gold medal.
Leostereo
Level 75
Legendary Meme
a day ago
There is a much easier, better judged, more official and better advertised way with much more competitors, and that is the contests being hosted here.

You're saying as if I win every contest not letting anyone else win. That is not the case. Plus, why can't other people host their less official contests themselves if they want the first place? It sounds more logical to let the by far biggest skin contest be more dedicated to the elite. At least that's how it is in pretty much any other contest in the world.
AceofSnakes
Level 11
Journeyman Cowboy
a day ago
Leo. By entering a contest, you negate most of the other skins. I am going to put this quite simply. This is a large community. Everyone wants to be able to win. Some people won't. Others stand a fair chance. AS you said earlier, it is not good skinner's faults they get diamonds and get seen by judges. Actually, if you are famous, and you entered a skinning contest, guess what? You just earned a guranteed position in the top 100. You have won. You have become finalist so many times. What more do you want? Competition? Join a contest for the elite, created by the elite. And like you said, if you ad it well, it will get notice. I gurantee, if you entered an elite skinning contest, and made a simple blog detailing it, people would know about it. Alot of people. I'm sorry, you are not convincing me that it is good sportsmanship. You have won, you have gained finalist, you have been given (or at least sent) a prize. What more could you possibly want?
Leostereo
Level 75
Legendary Meme
about 22 hours ago
So you're saying the 99.9% of all people in the world competing in some sort of way has bad sportsmanship? What I do is nothing special in any form of way. You're just making it sound like this is a contest for kids in kindergarten, which it is not.

I see no point of not continuing to prove that I am a good skinner. There are new challengers every month who keeps getting better and better. They should experience the same challenge that everyone has to this very day.

I kind of want to create a blog regarding this, to see what other people think about it. I'll try and give it perspective from both views, not just biasing it from mine, because that's bad sportsmanship.
Edit
Delete
AceofSnakes
Level 11
Journeyman Cowboy
about 15 hours ago
No. The way you are showing bad sportsmanship, is having won so much, proving the point of the contests, you are a great skinner. You have the prize, it won't change. The Olympics are different, much different than this contest, don't even try comparing. There is a point, actually, of you not continuing to prove yourself a good skinner. You did it. ITs done. You do it every skin you make. Give someone else the spotlight. I'm not going to sit here and write names down, search the recently made skins if you want to see the undiscovered skinners. And no, I'm not making this sound a contest for kids, I'm just saying that skinners who continuously win should give it a break. Not a permanent break, just a break. You know what? Make your blog. Most people will agree with you, because, as said earlier, its you. And if someone disagrees with you, someone like Th3-CAblIE-gUy will come along.

As seen here, that is the conversation that inspired this thread. Here is the point of it. I never said this is to be kindergarden level. Never. In fact, I posted that knowing in fact people like
Click to reveal
Th3-CAblE-gUy2345
Level 10
Journeyman Skinner
2 days ago
Ace just shut up already its a contest anyone can enter anyone can win -_- Leo might win or be in the top 3 forever not his fault hes a great skinner if the judges pick him awesome if u wanna rage and pick on someone with such great talent just go die in a hole
Leo ignore the haters keep on doing whatcha doing
Have a Diamond

AceofSnakes
Level 11
Journeyman Cowboy
2 days ago
"Go die in a hole" ?
What are you, 5? And I don't hate Leo, I am actually quite fond of his skins.
Th3-CAblE-gUy2345
Level 10
Journeyman Skinner
2 days ago
yes i said go die in a hole
no i am not 5 witch is more then i could say about ur puny intellect
and a never once said u hated him i called u a hater -_-
wait y am i even having this conversation with u -_-
This would comment on it. To be honest, I am sick of it all. I feel like contests have become single skirmashes between a select few, and we all know a group of them is going to win either way. That being said, it was compared to the Olympics. You cannot compare this to the olympics. Leo himself stated that not all skins are viewed, only ones with a select amount of diamonds, when certain judges will diamond 'just cause they like dis guy'
You know what this proved to me? Those skins are getting in the top 100 because people like the person who posted them. Also, in the conversation, Leo states I want to be looked upon 'as their newfound God of Skinning." Once again, it was blown sky high out of proportion. He even went on to tell me that "I probably am just mad my skins aren't praised'' and calls half of them ''skincraft quality''
First of all: There is nothing wrong with skincraft, though it isn't the best, it can still make a variety of epic skins.
Second of all: You had no right attacking my skins, when I had never downplayed the quality of yours.
Now unto the Olympics portion. You cannot compare a Minecraft Skinning competition to the Olympics. In the olympics, everyone is seen, and people who are awesome get seen, not buried in the others who are noobish, or this one rich dude who everyone loves, so they just vote he gets a gold medal.
Also, think about this. Alot of you (not all of you) are bandwagon. Meaning? Leo says this. You agree with it cause it's Leo. Another says this. You disagree, cause it's not Leo. -_-
You also talk about 'earning a spot' and how if someone can't beat the 'elite' they should not have gotten that spot in the first place. What? Are you serious? No. No. We cannot beat the 'elite' because the 'elite' have hundreds of fans which vote them on. They get seen, and other skinners deserving of those places are left in the dust.

About the title as well: Bad sportsmanship for entering contests?
That is far too broad a generalization. Far too broad. You and few others have one many times. Many times. I say that you should give up a contest or few because you have won so much. As I said earlier, your fans give you diamonds, judges see that, and you win. Big whoop, right? You've only achieved top 3 5 other times.

Proper Advertising?
You really expect people to walk into the chat and get noticed? How do I properly advertise, when the others are too busy advertising themselves? Oh, but someone famous comes in, and they crowd huddles around them like bees and honey. Than, a person like me, advertises again.
"HEY. ONE PER 15 MINUTES."
See my point? And don't try to defend this with "Well you should have done this."
Frankly, I won't believe you.

Are we really harrassing you?
NO. I posted that knowing I would get hate, and you know what? I don't care. I called it. So is it bad sportsmanship? Yes. It is. You continuously enter, Knowing you will get a spot in at least the top 10. You have done so much, what more do you need to prove yourself to everyone else? You say this is the biggest contest and that the 'great skinners' (Elite is reserved for a different type of skinner) should be able to enter, and that I am somehow desperate to win. You also say that if one were to win and the 'great skinners' weren't involved, they couldn't feel good about themselves, because the 'great skinners' weren't there to Translation: Totally knock them out of the ball park with ridiculous amounts of diamonds and faves.

Why not host your own contest? You said that it'd be easier to judge the bigger ones, but it's also the lazy way out! Make your own contest for the 'great skinners'
I also NEVER stated you were to be banned from contests. Never. I said you should 'take a break.'
And if you love the theme so much, make a themed skin. Simple.

Other proof I'm not just making up all the words.

Click to reveal
When asked if all skins were viewed
Leostereo
Level 75
Legendary Meme
a day ago
No, but the noteworthy ones at least. And I still don't see how this could be solved in any other way. It's pretty obvious that they can't look look through all the thousands of skins that are being submitted. Proper advertising on an amazing skin (not just average, I am talking really good) works 99% of the time, regardless of the person's popularity.

Plus, a lot of people are popular for a reason. Though I can agree that I've seen people with almost terrible skins reach top 100, just because they were popular. But then it's the judges fault, and I can't see in any way how that should be connected to us who are incredibly popular skin makers who can guarantee high-quality skins.

Edit: To sum this up:
This is the problem with top 100:
People who hand out diamonds to famous people even though their skins are half-terrible.
Judges who are part of these people.

Us good skinners have nothing to do with these.

Edit 2: Unless you feel that my skins shouldn't be part of the top 100 due to my popularity which grants me a ton of diamonds.

Also, I am prepared for the people like Th3 Cable Guy. I don't care about what hate you give me, so its probably not worth your time to say "Herpderp, shutup herp."
Also, Say what you want about my skins. I have improved over time, and I find skincraft nice for doing last minute touchups. Skins are not defined by a fancy-smancy program.
11/17/2012 9:17 pm
Level 71 : Legendary Lad
KnobleKnives
One thing: Acting like a sore loser is not going to solve anything. I haven't beaten any of the great skinners to the top 3 at all, but I still go in with a smile on my face.
Going into a contest with a positive attitude and working hard to improve (even if you lose) are what earns you respect, friends, and a spot in the top 3. Understand that.
11/16/2012 9:26 pm
Cipher_Punk
I would have hoped that some of the more experienced members might step up to judge the contests occasionally, rather than entering. I had to give up on entering this contest in particular due to a lack of qualified judges, which was very disappointing as cyberpunk is one of my favourite themes.

For site members to oppose your entering the contests on grounds of sportsmanship is ridiculous. We already know you will place in the top 100 guaranteed. It is on them, however, to beat you out for the top 10. If they fail to do so, then they did not deserve that place anyway.
11/16/2012 9:22 pm
Level 10 : Journeyman Artist
JazzyLuv1789
This is dumb. What if someone told micheal phelps that he cant be in the olympics anymore because he wins too much WTC. His fans would be devastated (subs in this case) Its not your fault that u get in the top 3. people, honestly
11/16/2012 9:15 pm
Level 56 : Grandmaster Goblin
couljj
I think you should always enter, and always try to blow your competition away. There's no point in becoming a good skinner if you aren't rewarded for it. I mean, there's all this self-satisfaction and nirvana but I doubt your a Buddhist. Try to reach the number 1 spot man, you've worked hard to become a great skinner, you should be proud that you've come so far, and keep trying to get better. You entering this contest raises the level of quality and challenges others to pursue their goals of becoming a better skinner. If you didn't enter, and you let some of the skinners who post skins of less quality, there's no point. They aren't getting better, and have nothing to aspire to.

I feel like this post was quite repetitive, but I'm listening to epic music and felt something inspiring need to be said.
11/16/2012 8:19 pm
Level 61 : High Grandmaster Elf
Exurbia
I don't really care what you do. I never get in the top ten so I could honestly care less. But I do see where other people are coming from. They just think it's unfair the famous skinners always get top 3 or top 10. Maybe you should take a break and give others a chance because there are actually some great skinners out there who entered the contest but they aren't very well known. Although there is no rule against famous skinners entering, I just think that they should give others a chance. Agh, do what you want. This is just my opinion.
11/16/2012 9:10 pm
Leostereo
Although fame does not, or should not, have anything to do with score. So if they very well are one of those "unknown great skinners" people talk about, then they should have no problem reaching a high place if their skin can be compared with the elite.
11/16/2012 9:20 pm
Level 61 : High Grandmaster Elf
Exurbia
Well, no the thing is that these skinners go unnoticed. Their skins are either buried by spammy/crappy skins or they don't get enough diamonds to make top 100. Now it is kind of their fault, in a way. They'd probably be more noticed if they advertised in chat, but unfortunately some people don't know about chat or never actually considered going into it. But you can't blame them for going unnoticed when their skin is buried under spammy skins. Maybe people just need to take action and advertise their skins if they want to get in the top 100.
11/16/2012 9:36 pm
Leostereo
Exactly, if they do in fact have really, really good skins they should be able to become relatively noticed with a decent amount of advertising. For example, when I first posted a skin for a contest I made sure to post it on the Minecraft Forums to my fellow texture pack artists so that they could see and diamond, it helped me a lot to get more noticed.
11/16/2012 8:23 pm
Level 31 : Artisan Scribe
ThatOneOtter
I would argue, but you made this very unbiased and didn't call the opposing side of the argument idiots and such.
11/16/2012 7:49 pm
Level 48 : Master Technomancer
ThatsMyPickaxe
I think you guys should keep skinning in the contest! Yeah, I would like to win, as anybody else would, but that can only be obtained by becoming the best!
11/16/2012 8:11 pm
Leostereo
Yeah, and I would personally think it would be pretty lame if you would have won a contest just to realize all the best skinners weren't participating, making it impossible to prove that YOU might be the very best.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome