Chiaroscuro Writing Contest - Round 2 | Season 2

Chiaroscuro's Avatar Chiaroscuro6/25/18 11:25 am history
11 emeralds 1.3k 8
8/7/2018 6:02 pm
Artsy_Lady's Avatar Artsy_Lady

The Rules

Welcome to the second round of my contest! This competition will follow an almost-traditional tournament-style bracket with 4 rounds. Half of the writers will be eliminated in each round. In this round, two writers will be eliminated so that four writers will remain for the semifinals. The general rules are as follows:
  1. Entries are due at 12:00 pm GMT on 7 August, 2018. No late entries will be accepted*, however if all contestants submit their entries early, judging and the next round will begin early.
  2. Entries must be exclusively yours. No collaboration is allowed.
  3. Whether you advance to the next round of competition is determined solely by the judges. The amount of diamonds or favorites on your submission will not count toward your chance of moving on.
  4. This round requires the submission of a short story of 500-5,000 words in prose. Please leave a word count somewhere on your submission. Link your submission in the comments of this post.
  5. Only the text of your story will be judged. Any visuals you use will not be judged, though they will be appreciated.
  6. All submissions must be in the form of a blog post linked in a comment on this forum post before the deadline.

The Challenge

The challenge for this round is "Lights, Camera, Action!" I assume that all of you have seen, or at least heard of action movies such as The Matrix and Terminator. Generally, those types of movies involve high-energy fighting scenes and high-stakes situations.

For this challenge, tell the story of not an action movie itself, but the process of filming said movie from the perspective of the actors. Try to separate the actions and thoughts of your characters from the roles that they play. Is there drama on set, or do the actors get along well?

The Contestants

The writers of this bracket (in no particular order) are:

striker107
Zatharel
Artsy_Lady
Cib
Peridot XJ9
Chron

The Judging

This season will be judged by myself and CaelChan. The breakdown of judging criteria is as follows:

Originality – Make your stories new and interesting! I want to see you think outside the box, present plots in unexpected ways, write something I’ve not read before.

Quality – Write well and present clearly. Proofread your entries!

Cohesion – Organize your thoughts and finish your stories. Make sure that your story is a complete package as-is, without the need for “Part 2” or other accessories.

Let me know if you would like my in-depth feedback of your work and I will PM my thoughts to you. However, keep in mind that my writing is not perfect and I judge from my perspective as a reader and writer.

If you missed the entry for this contest and would like to participate in a future one, let me know and I’ll be sure to contact you when the next one happens.

Good luck writers!

*If you need more time than is currently allowed, contact me and suggest a new end date. A majority of the writers in the competition must agree to your extension in order for it to be valid.

Chiaroscuro
Level 62 : High Grandmaster Ladybug