Chiaroscuro Writing Contest - Round 2 | Season 3

Chiaroscuro's Avatar Chiaroscuro • 1/12/19 1:14 pm history
9 emeralds 1.5k 36
2/20/2019 4:59 am
ieryana's Avatar ieryana

The Rules

Welcome to the second round of my contest! This competition will follow an almost-traditional tournament-style bracket with 4 rounds. In this round, five writers will be eliminated. The general rules are as follows:
  1. Entries are due on 14 February, 2019. No late entries will be accepted*, however if all contestants submit their entries early, judging and the next round will begin early.
  2. Entries must be exclusively yours. No collaboration is allowed.
  3. Whether you advance to the next round of competition is determined solely by the judges. The amount of diamonds or favorites on your submission will not count toward your chance of moving on.
  4. This round requires the submission of a short story of at least 500 words in prose. Please leave a word count somewhere on your submission.
  5. Only the text of your story will be judged. Any visuals you use will not be judged, though they will be appreciated.
  6. All submissions must be linked in a comment on this forum post before the deadline.
The Challenge

The challenge for this round is “New Beginnings”. The love stories we love generally describe a disenchanted couple who rediscover their affection or a person obsessively and single-mindedly chasing another to the ends of the Earth, pleasant but fanciful. They’re all the same stories, with different names and settings. So for this round, you’ll be doing the same.

For this challenge, use the outline provided to write your story. You must follow the outline exactly and you may not change any plot points to your convenience. Try to differentiate yourself from your fellow competitors by finding your voice and trying out new ways to tell stories.

Outline
  1. It is the first week of college. Person B sees Person A at a gathering, but Person A does not see Person B.
  2. A couple days later, Person B approaches Person A on the sidewalk.
  3. The two Persons begin to spend more and more time with each other.
  4. Person A becomes ill and consequently leaves the college.
  5. Persons A and B slowly drift apart.
  6. Over the span of two years, Person A occasionally checks in on Person B but conversation is brief.
  7. Person A reaches out to Person B and they start talking again.
  8. Person B confesses romantic interest toward Person A, but Person A only wants friendship.
  9. Over time, Person A realizes their romantic interest, but Person B is already acting as a friend.
  10. Person B confesses again, and Person A agrees to a relationship.
  11. Persons A and B meet again.

The Contestants

The writers of this second bracket (in no particular order) are:

Xaphanx
ieryana
DinowCookie
SmolFairy
TheSilentWind
Yelloe
CrazyChicken1
Ivain
lilyaa

The Judging

This season will be judged by myself, CaelChan, and Artsy_Lady. The breakdown of the judging is as follows:

Originality – Make your stories new and interesting! I want to see you think outside the box, present plots in unexpected ways, write something I’ve not read before.

Quality – Write well and present clearly. Proofread your entries!

Cohesion – Organize your thoughts and finish your stories. Make sure that your story is a complete package as-is, without the need for “Part 2” or other accessories.

Let me know if you would like my in-depth feedback of your work and I will PM my thoughts to you. However, keep in mind that my writing is not perfect and I judge from my perspective as a reader and writer.

If you missed the entry for this contest and would like to participate in a future one, let me know and I’ll be sure to contact you when the next one happens.

Good luck writers!

*If you need more time than is currently allowed, contact me and suggest a new end date. A majority of the writers in the competition must agree to your extension in order for it to be valid.

⸙
Chiaroscuro
Level 62 : High Grandmaster Ladybug

Create an account or sign in to comment.

02/20/2019 4:59 am
Level 33 : Artisan Princess
ieryana
Sorry for the delay! Stupid internet providers

Meeting and Partings. Sorry it's super long too!!
02/17/2019 4:55 pm
Level 70 : Legendary Dinosaur
DinowCookie
"The core principle objective of Just in TIme (JIT) is to improve process efficiency by eliminating waste."

Ok no excuses. Sorry I'm late! 😅 Here's my entry.
02/16/2019 2:21 pm
Level 11 : Journeyman Mage
XENX-SMP
Good luck to everyone
02/16/2019 2:18 pm
Level 29 : Expert Blacksmith
striker107
Bringing attention back here since there's like no entries actually here.
02/04/2019 1:53 pm
DinowCookie
Can I be creative with time and flashbacks or do the events need to be written in the order that they occur?
02/17/2019 2:33 pm
Chiaroscuro
It didn't notify me of this comment, but yes you can be as creative as you like.
02/16/2019 4:10 pm
DinowCookie
Chiaroscuro? 😅
02/02/2019 8:32 pm
This reply was removed by the poster or a moderator.
02/02/2019 11:08 pmhistory
Chiaroscuro
No, use whatever suits you best.
02/02/2019 10:14 pm
striker107
I don't believe that it does, as it'd probably be stated otherwise.
01/30/2019 11:47 pm
Level 41 : Master Fish
Miickster
can anyone join or it is limited to the contestants that are already in the list?
01/31/2019 1:12 am
Chiaroscuro
It's limited but I can add you to the list of people to contact for the next season if you'd like.
02/02/2019 11:18 pm
Level 41 : Master Fish
Miickster
dont add me yet. I havent written a single story. I hate language arts. But I'm so drawn in by the outline that I want to give writing a try. I'll start working on it when I feel more confident. Hopefully my beautiful language arts teacher will help me revise and edit.

fingers crossed :>
01/30/2019 5:23 pmhistory
Level 51 : Grandmaster Professor
Eli the Zeratoed
Okay, after seeing the outline, now I know why you eliminated me out of the first round: To not have to endure what I had to do in High School all over again. Yeah, as you could tell, I'm awful at writing stories based around outlines because I like being creative with my ideas. Thanks for kicking me out from doing the second round. You really saved my bacon from getting fried. xD
01/30/2019 7:30 am
Level 61 : High Grandmaster Terraformer
Ivain
How precisely do we have to follow the outline? Because some of it is WAY too specific to allow for a decent amount of creativity. For instance, "Person B approaches person A on the sidewalk". Talk about hyper-specific...
01/30/2019 8:02 am
ieryana
I LOVE the hyper-specific. Really like, there's SO much you can do with it! I love it.

This is an amazing challenge and I've gotten WAY too involved XD
01/30/2019 7:38 am
Chiaroscuro
On the sidewalk where? Where are they going? What time of day, how does it happen? Does Person B spot A from a distance and run up, do they just happen to be walking in the same direction? Different directions?
01/30/2019 7:29 am
DinowCookie
Just now realizing that college is a tricky thing to write about since the school system is quite different where I live 😅 time to do some research!
01/30/2019 8:03 am
ieryana
I'm just using college to mean university (I presumed Chia is American) and sort of...going from there :D

There's MASSES of flexibility in it, even within the specifics.

I'm ridiculous XD
01/30/2019 7:39 am
Chiaroscuro
I'll answer any questions you have regarding that, that isn't so much the point of the challenge :P
01/30/2019 7:47 am
DinowCookie
I think the most important questions are; at what age do people attend college? Do people in college study a particular subject or is the education the same for everyone? And where do people live when they go to college?
01/30/2019 7:59 am
Chiaroscuro
College in the US is generally from 18-23 years old. In all colleges people will specialize in a certain subject (their "major", from which they earn a degree) but some colleges also have requirements of a wide base of subjects in addition to that (liberal arts colleges). Depending on the type of college, people may live in dorms (generally those are the more prestigious colleges) or in apartments near campus (most colleges).
01/30/2019 5:54 am
ieryana
Is there a maximum word count? ;)

I'm kinda way more into this than I perhaps should be haha....
01/30/2019 7:37 am
Chiaroscuro
There's no maximum for this round, go for it!
01/30/2019 7:53 am
ieryana
Oki! you better get yourself settled and a nice cuppa to read it :P
01/30/2019 6:05 am
ieryana
Yeeaaaaaaa I'm not even on stage 2 and I hit 500 words.....

XD
01/30/2019 7:19 amhistory
striker107
It looks like this one doesn't have a word cap? Yeah, it just asks for more than 500 words, although, usually the cap is 5,000 (don't know why this one doesn't).
01/14/2019 1:11 pm
Level 14 : Journeyman Toast
SmolFairy
I have an idea... would it be allowed for me to basically take the same plot as my last story (which was kind of a cute love story anyhow) and make this a sort of "5 years later" continuation with the outline? It will be on it's own post, but have a link back to the first story. Let me know :)
01/14/2019 10:14 pmhistory
Chiaroscuro
As long as it follows the outline, then it works for me.
01/13/2019 7:41 am
Level 43 : Master Witch
Xaphanx
Oh my, not sure how I'll do at this one x'D Romance have never been my best~ Anyway, I'll give it my best! c: good luck everyone!
01/12/2019 5:03 pm
Level 61 : High Grandmaster Terraformer
Ivain
Quick question, I'm not sure about an expression you used when describing an entry requirement. What exactly is meant by "In prose"?
01/12/2019 5:07 pm
Chiaroscuro
Prose is just regular everyday writing, or just not poetry.
01/12/2019 5:07 pm
striker107
Probably this "Prose is a form of language that has no formal metrical structure. It applies a natural flow of speech, and ordinary grammatical structure, rather than rhythmic structure, such as in the case of traditional poetry. Normal everyday speech is spoken in prose, and most people think and write in prose form." (Ripped straight from google)
01/12/2019 1:41 pm
Level 28 : Expert Button Pusher
CrazyChicken1
Btw, a few questions

1 - What do you mean by "Meeting"? Meeting between who and in what way?
2 - By ill, what kind of illness are we talking about here? An incurable illness?
3 - What do you mean by "meet again" at point 11?
01/12/2019 1:59 pm
Chiaroscuro
1 - "Meeting" as in gathering, I'll change that.
2 and 3 - Both are up to you to decide
01/13/2019 8:58 am
CrazyChicken1
Thank you !
01/12/2019 1:37 pm
CrazyChicken1
Love story?

I am so dead xD
Planet Minecraft

Website