Colour Ramp Rumble (Colour Palette Challenge/Contest)

VinylReplica's Avatar VinylReplica12/22/19 4:05 am history
26 emeralds 1.2k 17
1/19/2020 4:36 am
Terminant's Avatar Terminant
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
* WINNERS *
1st Place (24 Points):
Bureine
The Skin
2nd Place (23 Points):
Wildflowers
The Skin
3rd Place (22 Points):
DinowCookie
The Skin

Howdy!

Welcome welcome. This is my first contest that I am going to judge myself. The aim of this contest/challenge is to construct a palette with a maximum of 12 colours from the 29 colours
that are randomly assorted below and create a skin.

I will judge the skin based on:
- The colours
- How you shaded the skin
- Shape
- Creativity
- Overall design

1st Place
A big boy 1st place vinyl record trophy and a spot on me profile page

2nd Place
A pretty cool 2nd place vinyl record trophy

3rd Place
A lil 3rd place vinyl record trophy

There is no theme and you are free to do whatever you desire. Here is the example skin I have created below:

This is an example of a palette that you could produce. I only used one ramp
and 3 colours off to the side but you may want to use a variety of colours.

Example Skin: https://www.planetminecraft.com/skin/dusty-knight-palette-challenge-in-description/

It is completely up to you!
As seen above the dark blue and sky blue colours meet up with the grey. As do all the other colours/hues in the colour grid. There are a total of 16 different colour ramp possibilities each linking up to the grey in the middle (5th darkest colour as seen above).

Skin with grid on it:

Results:
(Don't take offence I loved all of your submissions :D)
SkinnerColoursShadingShapeCreativityOverall DesignTotal
Angel Devil3434519
Wildcard_Gamer3322313
Myyoyo2123210
DinowCookie4454522
Michiru4343418
theredguy3443418
Aspirin603333416
mythicaljay3433316
Bureine5554524
Wildflowers4554523

Angel Devil
The design and the lil scythe on the back. I also like the shading on the robe. I love the thorough description and story about the character that you have provided.

Improvements:

The shadow underneath the scythe should be darker towards the top so it outlines it better as I couldn’t tell what it was straight away. The face and the horns need to be clearer I feel. I also feel that the lil crow skulls wire part that goes around the neck could have been coloured red to stand out as a necklace rather than an on robe detail.

But overall a really good skin!

Me Likey!
Wildcard_Gamer
One of your best skins I feel. I like how you did the shading on the shirt and hair. I also really like how both arms are different.

Improvements:

Have better ears with a hole and overlay. Probably don’t overlay the whole chest area as it is unneeded (unless he’s super jacked). I’m not a big fan of the shading on the pants as it is what I call formal shading or gradient shading (you don’t let the lightest shade of dark blue touch the darkest on the front and back). It is also a teen skin so..

Jk lol <3

Overall a nice skin.
Myyoyo
The beard is majestic. I’ve never seen a more arousing beard in my life plus it’s dumbledore what more could you ask for?

Improvements:

The shading. Maybe use less colours so you have more shades to work with. Also, the colours don’t look particularly nice together too.
DinowCookie
This is one of my favourite skins, it’s just so clean imo. The helmet is really well done and the shading is minimal but soo effective. I like the checked pattern on the back too.

Improvements:

Maybe the shoulder guards could use a highlight on them and an anti-alias to the dark blue.

Not much improvements to say!

Really nice work!
Michiru
The one-sided lighting (the highlights come from one directional light source). And the shading on the dress is really nice. The use of colours is beautiful. They all work together very well. My eyes are very happy :)

Improvements:

More blending and anti-aliasing towards the darkest colour on the skin. Also the shading on the arms and hair is minimal (Ik there were no more colours for highlights). The belly button blending is too dark as well.

Overall a good skin!
theredguy
The shading and shaping is so nice and clean and it makes me happy that you made a ramp and used it rather than a palette :). The cape is really nicely shaded and the highlights are well positioned.

Improvements: Maybe finish the insides of the skin and add a few more highlights. You also used 5 colours/shades. The skin is also quite dark.

But overall a nice ‘simple’ but effective skin.
Aspirin60
The shading is quite thorough and well thought out as well as the highlights. The shaping is also well done as well.

Improvements: The skin is a bit one coloured as there are not too many colours. The pectoral muscles are a bit too thin and high up I feel and the abs are a bit messy. I feel that there is an unnecessary gradient on the arms, the left pec, the hands and a bit of the back with the highlights. The highlights are also in the wrong spot on the back I feel. From the back the skin has an hour glass figure and the front has a muscular male figure. Unless the bottom torso areas his booty ;).

Overall a good muscly skin.
mythicaljay
Likes: The wings and tail are done nicely. The mouth and eyes are also quite cool. I think you did a really good job with the shading as well.

Improvements:

The tail and the wings blend in too much with the back. I suggest shading underneath the wings with the darkest colour and have the wings only on the overlay layer. I feel the tail is also a bit wonky and anti-aliasing could have avoided this. I also feel like the skin is a lil bit messy and the highlights are quite sharp and gradiented on the torso.

Overall a well-executed skin.
Bureine
Likes: Very solid skin and very detailed for the amount of colours that were available. I like the fact that 4 darkest colours for each section are the same and it looks really good. The hair is nicely done and the anti-aliasing is perfect.

Improvements:

The back of the gloves are a bit strange and could easily be improved by adding the second darkest colour where the thumb would’ve been. Although that would’ve blended in with the torso. So Idk. I also think that the crease lines on the arms are a little harsh.

Overall a really impressive skin. I like it a lot.
Wildflowers
The anti-aliasing and the precise shading are very well done. The colours go very well together and they suit the whole theme you were going for. I REALLY like the design and whole vibe of the skin. I love how you had different parts of the armour/suit different colours. Keep up the good work!

Improvements:

Maybe the chest could use some work? Not much to say really :D

Due date: 15th of January

Comment your submission with a link when you have finished and
please tag me in the description of your submission so I can see it

Good luck!

VinylReplica
Level 59 : Grandmaster Skinner