Minecraft Olympics - A creative challenge compendium!

Cipher_Punk's Avatar Cipher_Punk7/9/11 10:19 am
9/1/2011 11:29 am
Cipher_Punk's Avatar Cipher_Punk
Hey guys. I'mma get straight to the point. I want to run a community-driven Minecraft Olympics tournament, and I need your help to do it.

The idea came to me while speaking with my server admin about fun events to challenge each other with. We've come up with a number of interesting event types that we feel might be fun to share. Very little planning or work has been completed on them yet, but I figured I would share the idea with you, and maybe even ask if you'd like to contribute.

The concept is this: Once a month, or more often, if possible, we would have a challenge-night for all the players on our server. Challenge types we've thought up would include:
Tower Defense (req: admin forced mob spawning)
Maze/Labrynth navigation
Puzzle dungeon
Platforming

Tower Defense: The players are all given their own plot of land, a limited number of resources and weapons of specific types, and have a time limit to construct a fortress and series of traps. Admins/mods then force spawn mobs to assault their fortresses. The player whose fortress lasts the longest wins. Obviously, certain rules of vertical limits will apply.

Maze/Labrynth: Several copies of identical mazes will be imported into the map (using MCEdit). Players will have no foreknowledge of said mazes. All competing players will enter the maze at the same time, and the first out the other side wins.

Mazes would fit into four tiers, from simple (Single-plane navigation), medium (Multi-leveled navigation), and hard (nether-to-overworld connectors, timed-piston-moved walls), to extreme. Extreme tier mazes may include player-triggered moving walls to require backtracking, mob spawners, and player-traps.

Larger mazes may be inclusive of all players, rather than multiple copies, to include PVP rules (if players encounter each other within the maze, they may attack each other).

Puzzle dungeons would be, basically, short-span adventure maps. Once again, multiple copies may be imported, and the first player to reach the end is declared the winner.

Platforming challenges would include traversing deadly obstacles such as restart-falls (platforms above a low chamber that exits with stairs back to the beginning), exit-able mob-holes, or lava pits. To add extra challenge, the player may be required to leap from suspended ice-bocks, stairs, or clock-timed pistons.

I will post the obstacle courses we come up with as they are developed and exported. As it currently stands, with us just making these courses for ourselves, at least one member of our private server will be unable to compete in each event. The reason I post this here is to inspire some of you to come up with creative challenges for us (and each other) to undertake. So, if you like this idea, I encourage you to create an obstacle, test it out, and share it with us!

WHAT I NEED FROM YOU - YES YOU - IS TO MAKE A COOL OBSTACLE THAT FITS INTO ONE OF THESE CATEGORIES, AND EXPORT IT WITH MCEDIT.

If enough people contribute, it could be terribly fun to upload videos of our attempts to form a worldwide Minecraft Olympics scoreboard based on time to complete each challenge.
Cipher_Punk
Retired Moderator
Level 80 : Elite Grump